Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:33 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I'm sorry, but where does it say we should make a ritual of just picking up snakes? I don't see anywhere in the Gospels Jesus picking up snakes and telling us as often as we do it, do it in remembrance of Him. The ritual is the dumb thing.

What those verses are saying, is when we need to, we would be able to do those things because of who we are in Him. The most obvious example is when a snake bit Paul, and he threw it into the fire and wasn't harmed. Paul didn't go looking for snakes he could pick up, for no apparent reason, just for the fun of it.

Let me ask you something pcamps. Do you believe Jesus and the disciples did miracles?
Heavenese I never said anything about making rituals of picking up snakes or drinking daily poison,I think you need to read my posts on this thread again.

What do I believe about miracles ?.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him.

Now if you have faith to move literal mountains, fair play to ya.

Last edited by pcamps; 03-08-2013 at 05:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 AM

If the Pastor only understood that Jesus was talking about the greater power within to call upon in life rather than being an exhibitionist, he'd probably be here with us today.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
i am sure this serpent told him " you shall not die"... but that was a lie..... again. now he is dead, which means he is DEAD!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i am sure this serpent told him " you shall not die"... but that was a lie..... again. now he is dead, which means he is DEAD!
The serpent probably quoted the bible too, so how could it not have been God prompting him to do it ?

As Earl Pitts would say "Wake up America".

Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
stupid is as stupid does.

The Bible does not command us to do that nonsense. That kind of stuff just annoys me. It's extremely sad, but the guy did it to himself.
Well, it kind of sounds like it does, according to the quote by pcamps below. What makes you think your interpretation is right and that preacher's is wrong? Because your church doesn't do it that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So you don't think he read and took it literally ?

they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."
I don't recall hearing about any churches where they drink deadly poison without any harm. They tried that once at the Peoples Temple in Guyana, but there was no happy ending.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
If the Pastor only understood that Jesus was talking about the greater power within to call upon in life rather than being an exhibitionist, he'd probably be here with us today.
Please keep in mind that chapter 16 of Mark ends at verse 8. The rest of the verses in the KJV were added on.

We know this because of not being in ancient manuscripts such as the Sinaitic and Vatican 1209.
Also, the style of writing changes after verse 8.
There are no corresponding or parallel referenced verses as there is with the rest of Mark.
Jerome and Eusebiius also believed Mark 16 ended at verse 8.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Please keep in mind that chapter 16 of Mark ends at verse 8. The rest of the verses in the KJV were added on.

We know this because of not being in ancient manuscripts such as the Sinaitic and Vatican 1209.
Also, the style of writing changes after verse 8.
There are no corresponding or parallel referenced verses as there is with the rest of Mark.
Jerome and Eusebiius also believed Mark 16 ended at verse 8.
Please keep in mind I don't go around looking for snakes and deadly poison to exhibit faith,whether it should be in the bible or not.xx

Old 03-08-2013, 12:12 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Please keep in mind I don't go around looking for snakes and deadly poison to exhibit faith,whether it should be in the bible or not.xx
Sorry, I did not mean to imply you went around looking for snakes/poison to exhibit faith.
I was merely addressing 'the greater power within' because some think a greater power within keeps them safe in danger.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times
Quote:
Heavenese I never said anything about making rituals of picking up snakes or drinking daily poison,I think you need to read my posts on this thread again.

What do I believe about miracles ?.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him.

Now if you have faith to move literal mountains, fair play to ya.
I was referring to those who make a ritual out of those words. Your first post implied this man died because he took Jesus' words literally, yet Jesus never said make a ritual of snake handling. So it's not so much he took it literal, but a misunderstanding.

Let me ask you another question. Are you Christian?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I was referring to those who make a ritual out of those words. Your first post implied this man died because he took Jesus' words literally, yet Jesus never said make a ritual of snake handling. So it's not so much he took it literal, but a misunderstanding.

Let me ask you another question. Are you Christian?
He acted literally upon what Jesus said. Please don't act all condescending with me just because I see and understand the scriptures I believe in differently to you.

I'm not a Christian in accordance to the Theologies of men
. Copyright of Jerwade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity