Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:29 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times

Advertisements

WOW! I am usually okay with "to each their own" til someone tell me their arrogant "It's lies" opinion

I'm the opposite, I'd like my child in a private school but afraid it would be too "Christian"...I want him to understand both sides of the story and make his own mind up - I don't want to end up sheltered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 12:44 PM

341 posts, read 1,673,769 times
We were raised in a Catholic family - with full beliefs or CHrist, GOd, etc.
still to this day - but learning about evolution theories was an eye opener and is just another thought or someones theory. It gives the human brain the ability to think of other philosophies, open to discussion and realize that in this world there are other opinions that need to be respected - it makes life more interesting especially for the younger people to see that there are other thoughts out there - it makes them more educated, more interesting as people - to discuss all possibilites. Will it change their own persnal beliefs - who knows? but we do know they will have a better intelligence with an open mind to converse, listen, and exchange other thoughts.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:56 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,533 times
There's nothing you can do - and maybe you shouldn't try - you don't want your child to be sheltered. Teach them why you believe what you do and explain why you don't believe certain things. Because I said so is not a way to teach children about God and creation. Let them be able to understand......

Old 09-24-2007, 01:39 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
It's such a shame you can't afford the Christian school tuition any longer. My kids attend a small nondenominational Christian school and it is amazing!

Does your particular school have a finance committee or someone who works with families having trouble affording tuition? Also, our school has "service" credits - I can go in and fold the newsletters, be substitute office staff, janitor, or cut the grass to help defer tuition costs (and I do).

If I could not afford Christian schooling any longer, then I would either try homeschooling or Cyber-schooling for my children. I hope and pray that it works out for your family!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:54 PM

18 posts, read 105,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbeeishere View Post
We can't afford Christian school any longer for our daughter. She had to enroll in public school. We didn't think it would be a problem. Now, were starting to realize the lies that are taught referencing our descension from God and Christ's existence and our purpose in this life.

Times are much tougher then when we had to go through public school. I remember science teachers teaching us about evolution, that man came from apes, and everything exist due to a big bang theory.

All lies, it is terrible. We pray that she will see these for what they are and stay with the truth.
I'm Muslim, and there were many aspects of everyday school life that I learned were not part of my religious beliefs, such as Christmas, Easter, etc. My parents didn't stop me from attending public school, just provided the additional knowledge at home so that I could learn about our religion and values.

I think it's best to let your children be exposed to different perspectives, and then emphasize the ones you want them to hold on to. It's important for them to have that exposure; I wouldn't want my children to not learn about my beliefs exclusively. I want my children to learn so that they can compare and hold on to their beliefs because it feels right for them, not because it's been imposed on them and the only thing they have learned. The environment you provide at home is just as important, especially when they are young.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:25 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,622 times
I too agree with letting your daughter know that it's just a "belief"...like your belief. She will decide on her own when she grows up-no belief should be forced on her.

But I do want to tell you that I hope you don't take that attitude to school. This is a school that your child goes to, and you don't want her feeling uncomfortable because you are stirring things up. You are putting her into the school, which means that you have to deal with things that are taught.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
You have the right to believe what you want. However, if you want to raise a balanced (not biased) child, why not present her with your beliefs and theories COMPARED to what she learns in school.

The worst thing we do is try to make someone walk our religious path (or non-religious path). You are not allowing her free will to believe what she wants. I do not personally believe we should shove our religious beliefs down our kids' throats, but rather expose them to various ideas.

Anyhow, good luck.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:10 PM

341 posts, read 1,673,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You have the right to believe what you want. However, if you want to raise a balanced (not biased) child, why not present her with your beliefs and theories COMPARED to what she learns in school.

The worst thing we do is try to make someone walk our religious path (or non-religious path). You are not allowing her free will to believe what she wants. I do not personally believe we should shove our religious beliefs down our kids' throats, but rather expose them to various ideas.

Anyhow, good luck.
You couldn't have said it better - words well spoken -we all individuals

Old 09-24-2007, 04:25 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbeeishere View Post
We can't afford Christian school any longer for our daughter. She had to enroll in public school. We didn't think it would be a problem. Now, were starting to realize the lies that are taught referencing our descension from God and Christ's existence and our purpose in this life.

Times are much tougher then when we had to go through public school. I remember science teachers teaching us about evolution, that man came from apes, and everything exist due to a big bang theory.

All lies, it is terrible. We pray that she will see these for what they are and stay with the truth.
I will let you in on a secret, there is very little in life that one can prove one way or another and I find it arrogant bordering on blasphemous to claim that we fully understand gods will and actions.

You should rely on your faith and not some person telling you that evolution is or is not real. Anyone who would let their faith be shaken by the finding out the earth were round or flat, or billions of years old or thousands of years old etc. should really review what their faith and religion means to them.

Lastly, where did you hear that evolution wasn't real? I'm guessing that it was either from:
1. Your own conclusion
2. Some human being telling you about it.
3. God spoke to you.

I tell you what, 2 out of the 3 people on that list aren't perfect.

Best of luck, if you are worried that a chapter in a science book is going to wreck your daughters faith then you have BIG problems. Your faith survived reading about evolution right?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:19 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Exclamation Folks, I'm moving this to Religion....

Sorry, but I think this topic goes in another forum...I really think what is being discussed here is more religious and belief-oriented in nature, and nothing to do with parenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity