Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 07:26 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times

Advertisements

I read this somewhat harrowing story of Hutterites in WWI and from that I decided to do a Hutterite thread.

Dying for your religious beliefs - Aberdeen American News
Powered by Google Docs

And here's a Hutterite related website.

Hutterites on the web

Here's a Youtube video full of negative comments if you want that side.

The Hutterites - Hutterite Colony - Driven to Sustain - YouTube

And here's a Hutterite wedding song.

German Hutterite Wedding Song [HutteriteNetwork.com] - YouTube

I initially though of them as "Like the Amish, but without the shunning" but that's a bit off. This will likely have little interest, but still maybe I'll be wrong on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 07:43 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,133,273 times
They are amazing... & make me wonder how I'd do living so simply & by physically working for everything. Environmentally, they seem to be in much more harmony, than many other in more "industrial" areas. Yet, I wonder with being so busy physically, if they're able to get as much well-rounded education.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Hmm one thing on the objecting Hutterites indicates something like waterboarding isn't precisely new in the US.

"Yet that was not enough; next, they took me into my room, filled the bathtub with cold water, told me to remove my clothes (which I did), and forced me under the water. I tried to hold my breath, but could not;" Andrew Wurtz

Although kind of worse as these weren't terrorists, but Americans who refused any military service at the camp. In a way their refusal, even to help injured soldiers, seems maybe a bit extreme and too stubborn. I mean if you're of the type that values the state more than I do. Still, wow! Depressing reading the government did this less than a century ago. I wonder if this story, Hutterites sent to Alcatraz for refusing any military service, has ever been a movie.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 PM

733 posts, read 4,655,354 times
Not one of America's proudest moments.

The story of the Rockport Hutterites has been bantered about in our family for several generations. My great-uncle was drafted in WWI and shipped out on the same train as the Hutterite conscripts. He clearly understood and respected - as I gather did many local folks - Hutterite pacifism and refusal to wear a uniform. One wonders what the local draft board was thinking.

As regards the question on well rounded education set forth above, my wife taught at a couple colony schools as a contract instructor provided by the local school district. Then - over 20 years ago - the kids had a fairly standard curriculum through 8 grades along with German school every afternoon.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 PM

A new reality series on them is raising controversy. It shows them drinking, cursing, and criticizing the elders as well as church rules. Although some of its debates on higher-education and Hutterites did interest me.

Hutterites Upset Over New Reality Show's 'Distorted' Portrayal
TV Series Condemned By Leaders Of Anabaptist Faith : NPR
An inside view of Hutterite country as religious community opens up to cameras | News | National Post
Meet the Hutterites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity