Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:24 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just to be fair, God did make a requirement of it in the past. So it's not totally shallow that some would do the same. Just don't tell me to follow the same "requirement".
Drob i think i was being fair. The day was a shadow of things to come.

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found IN Christ( The DAY)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 06:55 PM

951 posts, read 1,053,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You do not keep the sabbath holy, and you will never convince me otherwise. For the sabbath has got nothing to do with Saturday or Sunday and whatever happens on your choice of which is the sabbath day to you,you think something wrong on Saturday or Sunday and you have broken the sabbath, and as the scripture teaches....... You break "1" commandment you break them all.
If I keep the Sabbath Day it is God's Holy Spirit in me that gets all the credit. I can do nothing of myself.

But God chastens every son He loves. I was called to Christ through the Sabbath Day. God corrected me and showed me I was trampling all over His Holy Day. If you are not called now, God has not revealed His Holy Sabbaths to you (in a personal way). But one day He will.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,779 times
Blah blah blah.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:13 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
If I keep the Sabbath Day it is God's Holy Spirit in me that gets all the credit. I can do nothing of myself.

But God chastens every son He loves. I was called to Christ through the Sabbath Day. God corrected me and showed me I was trampling all over His Holy Day. If you are not called now, God has not revealed His Holy Sabbaths to you (in a personal way). But one day He will.
True Christians are not identified by those "keeping" the Sabbath day or appointed times.

True Christians are identified by their fruit.

Matthew 7

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Galatians 5

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Much more important than keeping Appointed times is Charity.

1 Corinthians 13

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

If one wants to observe Appointed times, it can be a wonderful fruitful experience if done in a non-legalistic mindset.

No flesh will be Justified by keeping these appointed times just as no Christian will lose their justification by not keeping these appointed times.

This was all demonstrated from Scripture pointed out in the previous post. Legalism focuses on self and what one needs to do to "get" to heaven. Liberty focuses on others as they understand there is nothing they can do to get to heaven except believing on the Lord Jesus Christ receiving his freely given unearned undeserved gift of life by faith in His works.

God's grace attracts unsaved sinners to him. God's Law slays the sinner. Grace shows mercy. Law shows Justice - a justice that can not be compromised in the eternal court. Righteousness comes by God's Spirit working through the saved believer.

Dead men can't walk - only those that are alive.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:

He has, and it is nothing outside of me, it is something inside of me.Come unto me all you who are weary and heavy ladened and I will give you rest

Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:

What to you is keeping the sabbath ?.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
That's correct - but it was no longer mandatory. I gave you the Colossians 2 verse already. It's pretty straightforward.
Colossians 2 does not do away with God's Sabbaths and Holy Days. Basically, it says do not let any man judge you but the body of Christ in these things. The Head of the body of Christ is Jesus Christ. He was the One, the member of the Kingdom of God, that created the Sabbath in the first place and who spoke to Moses since no man has heard or seen the shape of God the Father at any time.

Christ did not do away with the Sabbath or Ten Commandments.

He even warns in Matthew 24 in a prophecy for the end time to pray that you flight be not on the Sabbath which would not be correct if it was to be done away with.

And in Revelation 14:12:

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Quote:
As the James verse says, if we miss the mark once, we are guilty of all.

If Christ is in us, HE is the fulfillment of the law within us. In other words, when it's time for judgment, if we have Christ, God looks at HIS perfection of the law and credits it to our account. Our sin is overlooked in favor of God's Son.

Our works still come into play with regards to rewards and what we did with what God gave us - but not with regards to salvation.
It is true our works do not save us, but willful, deliberate sin will cause us to be lost. You are not once saved, always saved but must endure unto the end to be saved. Overcoming and repenting is a continuous process. Christ did not do everything for you. Christ Himself set us an example of prayer to God and warned that some things require both prayer and fasting. We are to follow His example and do the best we can of our own power and rely on the Holy Spirit to do what we cannot. You have to strive to overcome yourself, the world and Satan to sit with Christ in his throne:

Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

To tell one to go and follow the practices and customs of Modern Christianity today is to tell one to NOT strive to enter in the strait and narrow gate but take the broad popular way that leads to destruction.

But there is also something else very evil in accepting the doctrines of the Modern Christianity that very few people seem to be concerned about.

Not only do you deliberately set aside the keeping of God's Commandments, when you engage in Sunday worship, Christmas, Easter. But you also are accepting the Mark of the Beast which came out of the Beast (the Roman Empire). It was Rome who put this pagan yoke on Modern Christianity with all their syncretic false worship of Christ by putting His name on ancient pagan feasts. Even the keeping of Sunday is honoring the sun God. Sun-day.

Christ in the NT condemns setting aside the Commandments of God to keep the commandments of men and the keeping of Sunday, Christmas, Easter are nothing but the commandments of men.

And those who have the Mark of the Roman Empire -- the Beast will receive plagues as we read in the Book of Revelation.

Modern Christianity is much worse than people are being led to believe.

That is why true Christians are persecuted. Modern Christians hate the truth and punish the minority who point out their errors and who will not accept or condone their doctrines.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
What to you is keeping the sabbath ?.
It can vary.

But the most important thing is to not work but rest physically and keep one's mind on spiritual things and worship God from sunset at the end of the 6th day until sunset at the end of the following 7th day.

Personally, I try to "rest" all of my equipment and cut off all unneeded appliances and I read the Bible and pray as much as I can.

I do not follow Judaism. The Sabbath was made for man (not just the Jew), not man for the Sabbath.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
the most important thing is to not work but rest physically
Do you have to rest even if you were unemployed and bored out of your mind?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Drob i think i was being fair. The day was a shadow of things to come.

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found IN Christ( The DAY)
I was focusing on the "shallow" part. In general, we agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity