Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times

Advertisements

He, who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone.
Why did Christ Jesus, not cast a stone? He was without sin, wasn't he?

"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn humanity, but to save it."

(Paraphrased, with quotations)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 11:37 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Why did Christ Jesus, not cast a stone? He was without sin, wasn't he?

That's what His enemies who were trying to trick Him wanted Him to do.

If Christ threw a stone, he would be violating His own Law.

God's Law requires the testimony of at least TWO witnesses to establish guilt.

Read my first post on this topic.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:16 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
That's what His enemies who were trying to trick Him wanted Him to do.

If Christ threw a stone, he would be violating His own Law.

God's Law requires the testimony of at least TWO witnesses to establish guilt.

Read my first post on this topic.
A person who is a witness against that of another in a crime or wrongdoing is innocent; not an accomplice, unless, they are guilty themselves.
For there to be two witnesses, two men would have to incriminate themselves. Perhaps, it was Billy, Joe, Jim, Bob, who all walked away?

I do not disagree with your point, but there is more to the story:

"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn humanity, but to save it."

Old 08-06-2012, 03:31 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
The stones that some people caste , comes out of their mouth and they tell others of their indifference to wards sinners , were if No prayer to thaw the ought , Then rebellion against the commands of the Word of the Lord will happen and the devil can take this authority of witchcraft and build walls of indifference which will block the Lord out and create curses and these prayers from these people they spoke against will go unheard..... So then these people must repent and command the Blood prayer through the power of Holy Spirit command and break these curses of walls of witchcraft....... Why is it witchcraft?........Every thing outside the commands and Words , and will of God is witchcraft, as it is not of God , so people must know the character and Words of God to discern this ....... So to know God means ``Caste down your stones to the ground ``... as believers speak against gays or evolutionist , or different religions , pray for these and ask others to pray so Jesus can do that ...

Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 AM

419 posts, read 435,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
Speaking as a Christian, why do so many Christians ignore this passage? I know of several who love to gleefully judge others, and do so with great relish, almost as if they enjoy it.
Are you also aware of such passages as Matthew 18, Ephesians 5 that tell us we ought to expose sin within our midst?

No...none of us are perfect...but we are forgiven. As a result we ought to seek to live a life of thankful obedience in gratitude.

I'm curious though...are you speaking in reference to a particular group or incident? If it's the Westboro Baptist inbreeds, we all condemn them. They are not Christians. They are not a real church. We don't claim them and we unilaterally condemn them.

Is it another issue?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Speaking as a Christian, why do so many Christians ignore this passage? I know of several who love to gleefully judge others, and do so with great relish, almost as if they enjoy it.
Many Christians put each other to death for their sins?

Really? When was the last time that you watched a group of Christians kill another Christian?

I have seen it, in Kosovo; but my question is to you, the OP when have you seen Christians, standing as Christians, and kill someone?

Now judging others is an entirely different subject matter. And judging is addressed separately in the Bible.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 AM

407 posts, read 829,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMissionary View Post
Are you also aware of such passages as Matthew 18, Ephesians 5 that tell us we ought to expose sin within our midst?

No...none of us are perfect...but we are forgiven. As a result we ought to seek to live a life of thankful obedience in gratitude.

I'm curious though...are you speaking in reference to a particular group or incident? If it's the Westboro Baptist inbreeds, we all condemn them. They are not Christians. They are not a real church. We don't claim them and we unilaterally condemn them.

Is it another issue?
No. I grew up Southern Baptists and they (the ones I have come into contact with) seemed to enjoy condemning people, but felt they, themselves, were above judgement

Old 08-11-2012, 07:28 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMissionary View Post

Is it another issue?
What you have to remember is, whatever you throw comes back to you, whatever you expose in another the same comes back to you. It all comes under the law of giving and receiving and the law of sowing and reaping.

Righteous discernment is to not even consider picking up rocks.

He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends. Proverbs 17:9

Study to shew yourself approved unto God 2 Tim 2:15

Old 08-11-2012, 07:32 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
No. I grew up Southern Baptists and they (the ones I have come into contact with) seemed to enjoy condemning people, but felt they, themselves, were above judgement
I grew up Southern Baptist as well.

On occasion I have experienced others who likewise find pleasure in condemning others.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:58 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
There is no way of determining right from wrong without judging. Refering to the scriptures like the Bereans did is the only way one can judge who is a false teacher \ false church from one who is speaking the truth. One isn't able to "reconize them by their fruits" without judging.

As a theologian once wrote:
When an apparent Bible inconsistency or contradiction surfaces, many people not only assume one of the Bible verses cannot be right but also then proceed to quote the one they like and ignore the one they dislike. What they forget is that the context is usually necessary to properly understand each verse. When context is considered, alleged contradictions and much confusion usually disappear.

With that in mind, open your Bible and ponder the contexts of Matthew 7:1 and Luke 6:37, where we are instructed not to judge or we ourselves will be judged.

If we read the verses following Matthew 7:1, we quickly learn that Jesus warns against a critical spirit that stems from pride or some form of hypocrisy (7:2-5). But we are to judge ourselves or take the plank from our own eye prior to judging our brother or taking the sawdust speck from his eye. We dare not be in the business of criticizing others without cause, with a superior attitude, or with intent to harm rather than help. If we ignore healthy and honest self-judgment, we too easily pass judgment on people or things of which we ourselves may be guilty. With that understanding in mind, Jesus says, "Don’t judge!"

... the Bible does call us to judge people and teachings. Return to the same context of Matthew 7. Verse 6 instructs us not to waste what is holy or valuable on "dogs" or "pigs." To do this necessitates determining or judging whether another person fits that category. Verses 16 and 20 assure us that by their fruit, that is their lifestyles and teachings, we will recognize false prophets. That involves forming judgments. The context, then, tells us that Jesus is not condemning or forbidding all judging, only a certain kind of judging.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity