Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 03:52 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON — Barely three months before the voting for a new president begins, the religious right has yet to unite behind a Republican candidate, heightening concerns among evangelical leaders that social liberal Rudolph W. Giuliani will capture the party's nomination.

The splintering of religious conservatives, if it endures, could ease the way for New York's former mayor to emerge as the party's first nominee to explicitly support abortion rights since the Supreme Court legalized the procedure in 1973.

But the lack of a consensus choice for president is only one of the troubles facing conservative evangelicals, a powerful force within the GOP for more than a generation.

"It's low tide right now for our movement," said Tim Wildmon, president of the American Family Assn.

Opportunities for the religious right to press its agenda suffered a blow when Republicans lost control of both chambers of Congress in last year's midterm election.

Christian right is split over GOP field - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-05-2007, 10:10 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,662 times
As I've said before, if it comes down to Giuliani versus Clinton, I won't be voting.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:50 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
As I've said before, if it comes down to Giuliani versus Clinton, I won't be voting.
Me either. I have voted in every presidential election since being of age to do so, but I think it's very likely that I may not be voting in 2008. I will not vote for someone who is pro-abortion.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:24 AM

311 posts, read 1,376,864 times
Quote:
I hear you on this but the problem is that a non vote or third party vote that would have gone Republican is giving Clinton the advantage. Less votes for Giuliani could swing some borderline states in her favor. Republicans are going to have enough problems as it is in the next election without a lot of them staying home.

Which would be worse to a conservative republican, Clinton or Giuliani? I know they are both anti-life, but do you really want Clinton elected? Think of all the liberals policies she will pursue. You may not agree with Giuliani on some issues but Clinton will have you pulling your hair out for the next 4 years. By the way, Justice Stevens of the US Supreme Court is closing in on 90 years old which means the next president will probably be selecting his replacement. Who would you prefer making that choice? Clinton will choose a Brennan look alike while Guiliani at least may choose someone more moderate. No, Guiliani is not the ideal candidate for conservative republicans but he looks a whole lot better than the alternative.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:40 AM

520 posts, read 1,853,797 times
Quote:
What if it was Guiliani and any of the other dem candidates? Does it make a difference?

Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I worked for decades to get a Republican majority of less government, less taxes, less regulations, less spending, less interference in people's lives, etc.

But the religious right destroyed all that and now we will be out of power for decades.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:05 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,816 times
This is really messed up. I cannot believe the choices we are faced with. A lot of us sitting this one out based on the front-runner. I am disgusted that we will most likely end up with HC in the White House. I look at Guiliani and his wife with their 6 marriages between them and say NO WAY. I cannot bring myself to do it, and I am divorced myself. There is something TERRIBLY wrong when his own kids won't vote for him and have no relationship with him.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:57 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Exclamation Our Country is in Serious Trouble!

Why must it always come down to this? Where are all the good candidates, with decent morals? I do not approve of either of the current front-runners, so once again, it looks like we will be forced to vote for the lesser of two evils.
Yes...I know: we need a pro-life Christian candidate. But, it doesn't appear one is going to be available, and if you decide not to vote as a result...you are STILL voting. How is that? Because, a non-vote will esentially be a vote for the worse of these two, due to the increasing resentment against the current political leadership in Washington. You can bet your last dime the godless immoral people are GOING to vote, whether you do or not. If this is not how you want things to play out, then please vote!
(Your vote does not mean you neccessarily "approve" of a candidate...in this case it likely means you dislike the other candidate more....)
Fellow Christians: please vote!
(FYI: I am not a Republican...I belong to a
3rd party...but I can see my candidate isn't going to win...)

Bud

Old 10-05-2007, 01:37 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Honestly I think Ronald Regan would lose to a Democrat in this election. It is still early but I would be very suprised if a Republican won given the current environment and the candidates.

I'm just not sold on Giuliani. I'm hoping Biden takes the Democratic ticket so I can vote for him.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:38 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
I hear you on this but the problem is that a non vote or third party vote that would have gone Republican is giving Clinton the advantage. Less votes for Giuliani could swing some borderline states in her favor. Republicans are going to have enough problems as it is in the next election without a lot of them staying home.

Which would be worse to a conservative republican, Clinton or Giuliani? I know they are both anti-life, but do you really want Clinton elected? Think of all the liberals policies she will pursue. You may not agree with Giuliani on some issues but Clinton will have you pulling your hair out for the next 4 years. By the way, Justice Stevens of the US Supreme Court is closing in on 90 years old which means the next president will probably be selecting his replacement. Who would you prefer making that choice? Clinton will choose a Brennan look alike while Guiliani at least may choose someone more moderate. No, Guiliani is not the ideal candidate for conservative republicans but he looks a whole lot better than the alternative.
First, I don't classify myself as a Republican or Democrat. When and if I vote, I vote my conscience. That being the case, one of the reasons I stated I will not vote is because I will not throw my weight behind someone I do not respect. And if I see candidates on the ballot who advocate something I cannot support, I will not vote for them. At least I'll still be able to face God about my decision to abstain. How would I explain to Him that I supported someone who believed that killing unborn children was acceptable?

I also don't believe in the popular notion that "silence equals acceptance". So if believers don't vote, and it happens to result in Clinton winning, it doesn't mean we accept Clinton's proposed policies.

You're saying, basically, that I should vote for the lesser of two evils. The way I see it, however, is that I simply won't vote for evil, period. We are told several things in the Bible. One is that we are to avoid the very appearance of evil. We're also told that whatever is not of faith, is sin. If I choose to vote for the "lesser of two evils", I would not be voting according to faith. I'd still be voting for evil of some sort, and I flat-out won't do that. If it someday results in a murderous tyrant being elected, and that person believes in killing Christians, so be it. But if voting for that person's opponent means voting for a person who believes in abortion and advocates having orgies in the White House, but yet allows me to live, how would I be expected to make such a choice? Do I save my own butt at the expense of throwing my weight behind some other sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
What if it was Guiliani and any of the other dem candidates? Does it make a difference?
I guess it depends on where the other Democratic candidates stand on the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity