Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,884 times

Advertisements

Those that were broken off, "them which fell" ... Kept the Sabbath more than anyone today does. I wonder why they were considered to have unbelief?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 04:47 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Those that were broken off, "them which fell" ... Kept the Sabbath more than anyone today does. I wonder why they were considered to have unbelief?
Prove it with Scripture please.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:05 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tyson View Post
I quoted all of the above because the verses are very important.

How to you see this... Right after Acts 15 we have Paul circumcising a Jew, Timothy:

Act 16:1 Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father was a Greek:
Act 16:2 Which was well reported of by the brethren that were at Lystra and Iconium.
Act 16:3 Him would Paul have to go forth with him; and took and circumcised him because of the Jews which were in those quarters: for they knew all that his father was a Greek.

The proximity of these passages in Acts may be very important.

But Paul is against circumcising a Gentile, Titus:
Gal_2:3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:

Shalom,
Tom
Ignoring Verna's tiresome outbursts, I'm a little confused as to what you're asking.

Clearly Paul had Timothy circumcised because he thought it would be helpful for his missionary and ministry efforts - not because it was required in any way, whether for Jew or Gentile. c.f. 1 Cor. 9:19-20.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK4J View Post
Thank God! Someone who can read and accept God's word rightly divided. I am so often amazed at how some people just ignore the scriptures and try to mix and match to create what they want.
I like to take that which is clearly literal at face value. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Heb 8:13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

But of course if someone still chooses to observe sabbath, that's cool, it doesn't hurt.
I agree. To observe the Sabbath is all well and good. To say someone is not (or no longer) saved by not keeping the Sabbath has to ignore what is written in Acts 15 and other parts of the NT.

Quote:
Oops...

Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
All you have to do is prove who the natural branches were. They were Sabbath keepers (Jews). Those grafted in did not keep it.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 PM

173 posts, read 135,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Heb 8:13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

But of course if someone still chooses to observe sabbath, that's cool, it doesn't hurt.
Unless they try to teach it as a requirement for Christians. Then it's a false doctrine and teaching false doctrine is really a sin.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
All you have to do is prove who the natural branches were. They were Sabbath keepers (Jews). Those grafted in did not keep it.
Prove it with Scripture that they obeyed God's commandments. Prove it.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
Quote:
You simply ignore what you do not want to accept as truth...write your own gospel...why don't you.

Note:
"Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in. Well; because of **unbelief** they were broken off, and thou standest by faith.

Be not highminded, but fear: For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, IF THOU CONTINUE IN HIS GOODNESS: OTHERWISE THOU ALSO SHALT BE CUT OFF. Rom 11:19-22 (KJV)

* unbelief (#570) apaistia = unfaithfulness (disobedience)
One is not grafted into the Old Covenant given to the Jews but into the promises of salvation through Christ to the Jew first and then to the Gentles. Sabbath was given to the Jews as a gift of rest on a particular day. As far as the Gentles go they were not given that day by law. However, I don't know anyone who can work 7 days continualy and maintain good spiritual and physical health. The principal of Sabbath is in the heart of everyone but not according the national uniform observance that was commanded of the Jews.

I am a Jew at heart, not a national Jew and certainly not an O.T. Jew and neither are you. Think what you want for yourself but you are not kidding anyone. The lie began when you deceived yourself because you will not see plainly that you are not a national Jew and you are not under the Old Covenant.

The Gentles are a law unto themselfs as the Word says and they show the work of the law in similar ways but not the same. You need not and should teach Sabbath law because Christ teaches them the Sabbath principal of rest, not the law and differant for all.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Prove it with Scripture that they obeyed God's commandments. Prove it.
Acts 18

1 After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth; Paul goes to Corinth.

4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, Paul reasoned with those who kept the sabbath (who "Keeps God's Commandments" ... according to you).

6 And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles. Yet Luke writes by the power of the Holy Spirit that they were opposers and blasphemers. These people were broken off for unbelief so the gentiles could be grafted in, yet they continued to keep their sabbaths.

8 And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized. Ah ... One was grafted back in! And we know he continued to meet with the church in Corinth who worshiped on the first day of the week.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
One is not grafted into the Old Covenant given to the Jews but into the promises of salvation through Christ to the Jew first and then to the Gentles. Sabbath was given to the Jews as a gift of rest on a particular day. As far as the Gentles go they were not given that day by law. However, I don't know anyone who can work 7 days continualy and maintain good spiritual and physical health. The principal of Sabbath is in the heart of everyone but not according the national uniform observance that was commanded of the Jews.

I am a Jew at heart, not a national Jew and certainly not an O.T. Jew and neither are you. Think what you want for yourself but you are not kidding anyone. The lie began when you deceived yourself because you will not see plainly that you are not a national Jew and you are not under the Old Covenant.

The Gentles are a law unto themselfs as the Word says and they show the work of the law in similar ways but not the same. You need not and should teach Sabbath law because Christ teaches them the Sabbath principal of rest, not the law and differant for all.
You are wrong...on every level.

Live your life the way you choose...you will answer for yourself, by yourself, with no one to blame but yourself....as we all will.

Good Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity