Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,989 times

Advertisements

Habakkuk 2:15
Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!

I currently work as a Waiter serving dinner part time at a fine dining restaurant. Many of the tables order wine and other alcoholic beverages. This is something that's been bothering me quite a bit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,136,209 times
I dont think your intention is to get them drunk and see them naked, but in regards to that, your just doing your job. So from a biblical standpoint your are submitting to your authority. I dont think what your doing is conflciting with the law of God, because its there choice to drink and your not forcing anything on them other than taking there order and if you tell them they had too much to drink you have done your part.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,101 times
Drinking wine and/or alcohol is not identified in the Bible as sin. Ephesians 5:18 says the sin is being “drunk with wine, in which is excess."

Jesus Himself drank of the fruit of the vine, and in 1 Timothy 5:23, Paul recommended drinking wine to Timothy. It's the responsibility of the users to determine for themselves when they need to stop drinking. The responsibility for drinking lies with the drinker, not the supplier or the server.

There are situations, however, when serving alcohol would be wrong, like if the person is already intoxicated, or is a minor. At which point you would kindly take their order and then go directly to the manager with the situation and let them handle it.

On the other hand, there are times when it would be wrong to work in an environment that sells alcohol. If you feel convicted by the Holy Spirit about selling alcohol, perhaps the Lord is speaking and it is time for a career change. Christians should act according to their faith when it comes to matters like this. Selling and serving alcohol is not a sin. However, if a person truly believes it is and they continue to do it, then they are in sin. Romans 14:22-23.

Ultimately, you need to seek the Lord and ask Him for wisdom. James 1:5 says that He grants it to all without finding fault.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:24 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,679 times
the good thing is that he is not setting a date. there are many who set dates but still plan for the future after the date. They have bank accounts with 401k in them. This guy is not setting dates so he could be believable. Tomorrow has enough worries in itself, i dont care much about prophets telling the future.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Drinking wine and/or alcohol is not identified in the Bible as sin. Ephesians 5:18 says the sin is being “drunk with wine, in which is excess."

Jesus Himself drank of the fruit of the vine, and in 1 Timothy 5:23, Paul recommended drinking wine to Timothy. It's the responsibility of the users to determine for themselves when they need to stop drinking. The responsibility for drinking lies with the drinker, not the supplier or the server.

There are situations, however, when serving alcohol would be wrong, like if the person is already intoxicated, or is a minor. At which point you would kindly take their order and then go directly to the manager with the situation and let them handle it.

On the other hand, there are times when it would be wrong to work in an environment that sells alcohol. If you feel convicted by the Holy Spirit about selling alcohol, perhaps the Lord is speaking and it is time for a career change. Christians should act according to their faith when it comes to matters like this. Selling and serving alcohol is not a sin. However, if a person truly believes it is and they continue to do it, then they are in sin. Romans 14:22-23.

Ultimately, you need to seek the Lord and ask Him for wisdom. James 1:5 says that He grants it to all without finding fault.
I feel like we are to be a vessel to promote good works and turn away from sin, but here I am a vessel bringing people something that will destroy them putting them further in bondage. It's tough. I am actually trying to find something else more compatible with the faith and praying about it with the Lord.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I dont think your intention is to get them drunk and see them naked,
You know what's kind of funny is that this passage came to view to me in a church bulletin and it didn't have the "that thou mayest look on their nakedness" part. In haste I posted the scripture not seeing it.

Nope not trying to do anything like that.

It does give me comfort though that in context the passage does seem to be referring to doing it with intention of seeing their nakedness.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Personally I think you need to either lighten up and do your job, quit reading the scripture so 'literally' or just find a new job so you do not have all this unnecessary drama and stress in your daily life.

Just because someone has a glass or two of wine with dinner does not mean they are destroying themselves or putting themselves in further bondage. I was raised Catholic, I used to be a waitress at a high dollar supper club and I have also been a bartender and never once have I felt guilty about serving a drink or two to anyone who paid for it. I have also never served anyone who was obviously drunk or who wanted a 5th or 6th drink either. I am also not a big drinker and will have an occassional beer or wine but that is my choice to limit my own intake of alcohol.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I feel like we are to be a vessel to promote good works and turn away from sin, but here I am a vessel bringing people something that will destroy them putting them further in bondage. It's tough. I am actually trying to find something else more compatible with the faith and praying about it with the Lord.
I respect your conscience on the matter, Mikelee.

There's a section of scripture that has really helped me in matters like you're facing.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 10:23-31,

"All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being.
Eat whatever is sold in the meat market, asking no questions for conscience’ sake; for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.”

If any of those who do not believe invites you to dinner, and you desire to go, eat whatever is set before you, asking no question for conscience’ sake. But if anyone says to you, “This was offered to idols,” do not eat it for the sake of the one who told you, and for conscience’ sake; for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.” “Conscience,” I say, not your own, but that of the other. For why is my liberty judged by another man’s conscience? But if I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of for the food over which I give thanks?

Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God"
As Christians, we are given liberty. Paul gives four principles for that liberty in these verses.

1. Edification over Gratification
2. Others over Ourselves
3. Liberty over Legalism
4. Condescension over Condemnation

Drinking is like smoking is like eating. We've been given liberty to make choices here. These things are not necessarily sins in and of themselves, but the abuse of, or addiction to, them is. We have the liberty to do these things without condemnation. But, we're always to be mindful of doing them. Is it beneficial or edifying? Will it offend someone with us? And, the all-important principle here is in verse 31 -- doing all things for the glory of God. It doesn't offend God for a Christian to have a drink responsibly. However, if it weighs on that persons conscience, they shouldn't do it.

Personally, I would apply that principle to serving drinks in a restaurant as well. It's not wrong. It's not a sin. But, if your conscience is burdened by it, it's best not to do it. I used to be a waiter years ago and it was one of the reasons I chose to stop working in that profession. I was not comfortable serving alcohol or receiving tips for doing so. So, I left.

If you leave the profession, God will honor your decision to do that. If you decide not to leave, you're not in sin and God isn't holding that against you.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 AM

473 posts, read 821,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Habakkuk 2:15
Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!

I currently work as a Waiter serving dinner part time at a fine dining restaurant. Many of the tables order wine and other alcoholic beverages. This is something that's been bothering me quite a bit.
Every person is responsible for their own sin. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. I think this verse of the Bible may refer more to what comes out of our mouths and into others ears. Them being less mature, we may be a bad influence and cause them to stumble. I would think that the person who ordered the drink would be responsible. Titus 2:3--refers to women not given to MUCH wine.---Jesus drank wine.----1 Timothy 5:23-talks of a little wine for thy stomachs sake.
Yeshua Bless You

Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Thank you for the insight on here. I'm thankful that a little wine doesn't seem to be an issue.

The Law of Liberty is good to bring up. Could my actions cause the unsaved to stumble? Well only if I'm encouraging it I guess.

I feel a little better about it now. The job does help me support ministries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity