Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:35 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,906,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Good answers.

Generations slowly degenerating. It's been a work of decades. Today's youth is children of unbelieving parents. All are influenced by the MTV / Hollywood generation telling them what to believe as well as a secular education system.

The Word of God isn't highly regarded. Sin is powerful. People are enslaved, and have rejected the only hope they have.

The current public "Christian" apostate church certainly has a lot to do with it as well. People don't see the life-changing power behind it, but only see the religious hypocrisy.

The core problem is the Church has not been the salt it has needed to be.
When was the US public school system NOT secular?
I think you're wrong in trying to blame "modern culture"; my parents heard the same warnings about rock n' roll and television when they were young. They are about as devout as can be and love that music.

Young people not only see the hypocrisy in the church, but the outward pretentiousness that many Christians exude. Once Christians start acting like Christians, younger people will gravitate towards the faith. There's no one to blame but themselves, I'm afraid. This is hard for Christians to accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,191,969 times
Well, my guess is that they read postings by some of the whackjobs on this forum and said, "Well, not for me...."

Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,248,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
They don't hate Christianity. They hate Christians, particularly the condescending, pedantic, holier-than-thou set which, unfortunately, seems to be the most vocal portion of Christians.

Blaming MTV, leather jackets, and the "liberal" educational system is, in my humble opinion, lazy. If Christians are seriously concerned with bringing younger people into the church, they need to stop the easy excuses and look in the mirror.
Its not lazy, its the truth. That's the right answer. Why do Christians seem to appear to be "holier than thou"? Because the young adults are so far into the worldly view of things that's how a Christian is viewed. The OP asked a question and I answered it.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
There is a snowball effect involved. As a snowball rolls downhill it gathers speed and becomes bigger and bigger. The younger generation is exposed to more and more liberal and secular education, to various forms of entertainment and music which carry anti-God messages. Drugs play a part. Peer pressure is involved. Satan uses these things to condition the minds of people to reject Biblically revealed truth. Satan is the ruler of this world and he deceives the world. And many are only to willing to be deceived. Many younger people will look at the suffering and misery in the world and ask how God could allow such suffering in the world if He existed, and reject the possibility of His existence on that basis. And many people simply don't want to believe in God, and so they suppress the truth which God has made known concerning Himself through His general revelation of Himself in His creation.

I don't understand what you mean by your statement that their brand of atheism has almost everything in common with evangelical Christianity.
Good answer.... I didn't read it before I posted but yours is more detailed.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Then perhaps Christianity is again evolving to be a more general god -based belief with a moral and social message rather than a Biblical one.

I am aware that there are things that religion can do that humanism and secularism can't. If it can focus on those helping aspects and less on the lecturing and hectoring and demands for authority, it could perhaps turn back the apparent trend of dislike.
Christianity doesn't evolve my friend. You are dangerously misguided.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
Its not lazy, its the truth. That's the right answer. Why do Christians seem to appear to be "holier than thou"? Because the young adults are so far into the worldly view of things that's how a Christian is viewed. The OP asked a question and I answered it.
I would venture to guess that devout believers of every world religion has said this about young people throughout history. Of course, I can't prove that, either. Just as you cannot prove that MTV has anything to do with why young people don't flock to church. It's a convenient excuse for church-goers, as it doesn't require introspection.

I think a better question is: How can the church prove attractive to young people?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:23 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,633,056 times
I'm young myself and I can tell you right now most of my generation is headed to Hell. And that's not a figure of speech. It's literal. They have no morals, no values, no respect, no respect for themselves or God, and they certainly have no fear of him. It's a sad thing but that's the reality of life. It isn't a joke. You only get one. And you only get a certain number of years to get it right. Some of us won't live to 80 years old. That's what they don't understand. Sometimes God gives you only 23 years or 17 or even younger to live. If you seek the pleasures of this life more than him, that will be to your ultimate undoing. And that's the situation of the young today. They are seeking instant gratification and worldly pleasures rather than God. Neglecting their own souls and the fact that they might not have that long to live. And some of them believe or not, have WILLINGLY chosen to forsake the Lord. I have read anti-God comments on Facebook from people my age and it is nothing short of shocking. To see somebody MY AGE who barely started their life and already chose one without God. It's sad but I don't feel sorry for them. They've made their choice. I make no excuses for anyone of this generation. This life is a test of your soul and your character. Just like Satan was one of the angels before he made the choice to forsake God and forsake his place in Heaven. So the youth can make their choices to serve God or the world. God has never changed. And he will not change for the likes of today's generation to suit them and their worldly values. You either accept him and follow his commandments or chose the world and the wide path to Hell. There are no compromises.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:26 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,681,583 times
Perhaps young people are turned off by Christians who kill each other over religion, molest young children, cheat on their spouses, and treat others badly while professing how holy and good they are.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm young myself and I can tell you right now most of my generation is headed to Hell. And that's not a figure of speech. It's literal. They have no morals, no values, no respect, no respect for themselves or God, and they certainly have no fear of him. It's a sad thing but that's the reality of life. It isn't a joke. You only get one. And you only get a certain number of years to get it right. Some of us won't live to 80 years old. That's what they don't understand. Sometimes God gives you only 23 years or 17 or even younger to live. If you seek the pleasures of this life more than him, that will be to your ultimate undoing. And that's the situation of the young today. They are seeking instant gratification and worldly pleasures rather than God. Neglecting their own souls and the fact that they might not have that long to live. And some of them believe or not, have WILLINGLY chosen to forsake the Lord. I have read anti-God comments on Facebook from people my age and it is nothing short of shocking. To see somebody MY AGE who barely started their life and already chose one without God. It's sad but I don't feel sorry for them. They've made their choice. I make no excuses for anyone of this generation. This life is a test of your soul and your character. Just like Satan was one of the angels before he made the choice to forsake God and forsake his place in Heaven. So the youth can make their choices to serve God or the world. God has never changed. And he will not change for the likes of today's generation to suit them and their worldly values. You either accept him and follow his commandments or chose the world and the wide path to Hell. There are no compromises.
So you don't believe in the value of redemption? Once a baddie always a baddie? Yep, you'll make a great representative of the type of Christian who repels the youth.
Young people very often rebel against that which they see as authority (including the church). In fact, many of the most well-adjusted adults I know went through a period of rebellion and then redemption.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:04 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,633,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
So you don't believe in the value of redemption? Once a baddie always a baddie? Yep, you'll make a great representative of the type of Christian who repels the youth.

I'm 19. I think I am the youth.

Young people very often rebel against that which they see as authority (including the church). In fact, many of the most well-adjusted adults I know went through a period of rebellion and then redemption.
WRONG. The first problem with your logic is rebellion. It is a parent's responsibility to keep their child in check and disciplined. When you choose not to discipline your child and they become spoiled rotten and entitled and wreak havoc on society with their bad behavior, that is YOUR fault and they are already on the wide path to Hell. If they were to die as teenagers, they would have been sent to Hell. American parents believe it's normal for teens to go through a rebellious period and talk back and act up in the streets. This isn't considered normal to people raised in West-Indian households. We would be beaten and punished for doing the crap teenagers do here in the states. That behavior isn't normal to us nor is it to God. When you spare your children from the rod of correction, you are sending them to Hell. The Bible plainly states that.

The second problem with your logic is that you THINK redemption comes afterward. WRONG again. Who you are as a living human being, conscious of right and wrong, good and evil, and knowledge of the gospel, is what you will be judged by God for. He doesn't care whether your 13, 15, 17, or 18. If you die after the age of accountability and you are NOT saved, you will be judged accordingly. That's why he said you need the fear of God. Because the fear of God keeps you from destructive behavior and life paths. Even as a teenager. And many teenagers are going to Hell just as well as adults. The adults YOU encountered are LUCKY they lived to be such an age and CHOOSE to change their ways. Because trust and believe if they died in their youth, they still would have wound up in Hell. God is no a respecter of NO PERSONS. Luck and their choices changed their ways. But not everybody is so lucky. Some people die in the prime of their youth. And some die in sin and end up in Hell. That's why once again - you need the fear of God! You only have one soul and one life to get it right. Who you are - even as a teenager - is who you are to God. Now think about all the teenagers on destructive life paths and have unchecked behavioral issues. Alot of them are on a path to Hell. That is the simply the reality of the situation. And it is the parent's fault for not disciplining them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity