Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 10:19 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times

Advertisements

How far did Peter feel ready to go in following Jesus? Do you think he meant what he said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 10:21 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
I think he meant what he said, but he did deny knowing Christ. But the Lord knew the intents of his heart and forgave him.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:36 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I think Jesus taught Peter, and all of us a lesson in being overconfident in our faith,,In other words, we should be on guard that at anytime we are vulnerable to the ways of the world..

Old 10-11-2007, 10:41 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Sometimes the Lord shows me something in my life, shows me clearly an area that needs sanctification. And He helps me! I tell Him, "Lord, I'm through with this... I want to be different from now on, and serve You forever." I think I can do it. But then I fail again! I think that Peter was sincere in his heart, he just needed sanctification just like all the rest of us....

Old 10-11-2007, 01:25 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Peter obviously had no idea as to what was about to happen. He certain was in a state of shock and not thinking too clearly. It must have been an unbelievable few hours. Nothing they had been through together prepared them for this! In other words, Peter was being human.

We also tend to do and speak first before we think. This is a good admonition for us to watch what we say and promise. Our words, just like his, have a nasty way of coming back to bite us.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 18,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
How far did Peter feel ready to go in following Jesus? Do you think he meant what he said?
Peter went all the way in following Jesus, just as it was predetermined for him to do. Peter denying Jesus was a fulfillment of prophecy: Zechariah 13:7 "Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd,
And against the man, My Associate,"
Declares the LORD of hosts
"Strike the Shepherd that the sheep may be scattered;
And I will turn My hand against the little ones.

Jesus tells Peter in Luke 22:32 once you return, strengthen the brethren. This is something Jesus had to do himself.
Remember also, Jesus chose these disciples they did not choose Him. Finally, at Pentecost everything was different, no more denying Him, many even died a Martyrs death.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:23 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,408 times
Peter is one of those disciples I love so dearly. I identify with him the most. When I look at him its like I am catching quick reflection of myself on a mirror. How many times have I made promises to Him only to fail Him again. How many times have I said will never do it, but I still do it. I think Peter, just like me, when he made this promise meant what he said. The spirit and heart was so willing, but the flesh was weak to do His will. My pastor once said you dont look at holiness in terms of how perfect you are but in terms of progress. Its interesting how Peter turned out at the end, how he was used by the Lord in setting up His church. The fact that this very book, the gospel of Mark, is the voice of Peter through the hand of Mark, for Peter at this time was blind, is such an inspiration to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity