Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 03:41 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times

Advertisements

Do you believe this is true?

1 John 4

10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

Yes or no, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 04:10 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Yes, It's in God's inspired Word. ?? Why would one not believe it was true?? --- Am I missing something in your post?

Old 11-09-2012, 04:36 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Most of the translators use the word "propitation", not sacrifice. There are other words throughout the New Testament translated as "sacrifice", but the word used in 1 John is specific to that epistle.

So, to propitiate or to conciliate:
1. to overcome the distrust or hostility of; placate; win over: to conciliate an angry competitor.

2. to win or gain (goodwill, regard, or favor).

3. to make compatible; reconcile.

Sure, I can see that this is what Jesus was doing ... overcoming our distrust and hostility, reconciling us to God.

",,,and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross. And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled. Col 1:20-21

Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,024,985 times
See the sins that come against us , condemn us, as God is perfect is love , and all reigning Powerful Lord..... So Father God could have come instead of His son Jesus , But the perfect idea that Jesus would be His family as a token offering for man to copy and turn to Jesus to also be a family of God ..... So Jesus died and God raised Him from the dead , and This offense would be a judgment for people must reject the dark spirit who killed Jesus and all dark spirit who are capable of manipulating sin on man by forsaking sin and rebuking the dark spirit and then Loving the Lord and turning to Him and His ideas ..... See God loved us and wanted us to be His family and created us to interact with Him and then be one with God ..... See none of the animals of the earth would be so blessed as man with God ....See this release from eternal judgment only will be for man and women , all this through Jesus Blood covenant, even the Holy Angels of the Lord do not have this blessing of Jesus Blood...... The dark spirit are abandoned by the Lord will never receive any blessing and mercy is void there ... The animal of the earth can receive the blessing of the Blood of Jesus , BUT only through the prayers of people who have Jesus Spirit...

Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

Sure, I can see that this is what Jesus was doing ... overcoming our distrust and hostility, reconciling us to God.
Please expound on this, specifically distrust and hostility.

Quote:
[/color]
",,,and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross. And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled. Col 1:20-21
Through the blood. What is important about that?

Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Please expound on this, specifically distrust and hostility.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking ... I guess I'd have to ask you to expound on your request for me to expound.

Quote:
Through the blood. What is important about that?
That is such a great question.

One thing that keeps coming to my mind is the passage in the OT that says "the life is in the blood" and, as John 6:53 says, we are to "drink" the blood of Jesus in order to have life in us.

So, we are to "drink" the life of Jesus. So many wonderful directions to go with that idea I don't even know where to start. Except to say that when one drinks, they are refreshed and renewed. Our minds (in which we were once enemies with God) are renewed by the Life which proclaims the unconditional love of God, so that we need no longer be hostile and distrustful and afraid of God.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo

So, Jesus died on the cross to give us a better understanding of the Father? Is that what you're saying, more or less?

Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
So, Jesus died on the cross to give us a better understanding of the Father? Is that what you're saying, more or less?
It is apparent to me that we all needed to stop believing the lie that God was our enemy and know the truth about God's unconditional LOVE in order to have God's LIFE. I believe the passages I've shared with you indicate as much.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
It is apparent to me that we all needed to stop believing the lie that God was our enemy and know the truth about God's unconditional LOVE in order to have God's LIFE. I believe the passages I've shared with you indicate as much.
In Colossians 2, Paul refers to being "dead in your sins". How does that correspond with your above explanation?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
In Colossians 2, Paul refers to being "dead in your sins". How does that correspond with your above explanation?

We become what we believe (as a man thinks in his heart, so he he is). If we believe the lie -- that God is angry with us and that we are separated from the Source of Life -- then we become fearful, angry and hostile, and our behavior exhibits that; we experience death.

"Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character,; it becomes your destiny."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity