Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times

Advertisements

Attacks on the nature of God by people who claim to be Christians but who deny the triunity of God, claiming it to be a pagan concept, never end. They deny the deity of Jesus Christ and the Personhood of the Holy Spirit. I've gone over the fact that Jesus Christ is God in other threads. In this thread I will simply point out some Scripture which shows that the Holy Spirit is not simply a force or an attribute of God, but is a Person of the Godhead.

That the Holy Spirit is one of the three Persons of the Godhead is easily shown from the Scriptures.

1.) It is God the Holy Spirit who sovereignly distributes spiritual gifts.

1 Cor. 12:11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

Hebrews 2:4 God also testifying with them, both by signs and wonders and by various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit according to His own will.

The Holy Spirit has a will and it is He who decides which believers get which spiritual gift.

2.) The Holy Spirit speaks, and hears, and discloses information.

Acts 13:2 While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."

John 16:13 "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. 14] "He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.

A force or an attribute does not speak, give commands, or hear, or disclose information.

3.) The Holy Spirit was lied to by Ananias and Sapphira.

Acts 5:3 But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land? 4] "While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

The Holy Spirit is called God here, and was lied to. You cannot lie to a mere force or an attribute.

4.) The Holy Spirit is distinguished from God the Father and from Jesus Christ.

2 Cor 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

You can have fellowship with the Holy Spirit. You cannot have fellowship with a mere force or attribute.

The Holy Spirit thinks, He has a will, He makes sovereign decisions, He gives commands, He discloses information that He hears from the Father, and fellowship can be had with Him.

It should be obvious to anyone who is honest with himself that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force, but is the third Person of the Trinity. Sadly, there are many people who will continue to deny the Personhood of the Holy Spirit and the triunity of God no matter how much Scriptural proof is supplied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times
The flesh is a type of the Spirit (2 Clement - Chapter XIV). Theirfore we can understand from the type that as Adam and Eve both had the flesh of Adam likewise The Father and the Son both have the Father's Spirit. Therefore, the Holy Spirit is not a separate PERSON but rather is the PERSON or rather BEING of the Father Himself. So therefore, Christ had the Father (God) because He had the Father's Spirit - The Holy Spirit.

Consider the Following:

1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Now here we see the Spirit of God (Holy Spirit) is being compared to the spirit that is in man. Does man have a SEPARATE person in himself? not at all but that spirit is of the man and likewise this Spirit is of the Father.

There are no verses in scripture that contradict this.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 PM

167 posts, read 179,795 times
What exactly is a Godhead?

Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
The flesh is a type of the Spirit (2 Clement - Chapter XIV). Theirfore we can understand from the type that as Adam and Eve both had the flesh of Adam likewise The Father and the Son both have the Father's Spirit. Therefore, the Holy Spirit is not a separate PERSON but rather is the PERSON or rather BEING of the Father Himself. So therefore, Christ had the Father (God) because He had the Father's Spirit - The Holy Spirit.

Consider the Following:

1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Now here we see the Spirit of God (Holy Spirit) is being compared to the spirit that is in man. Does man have a SEPARATE person in himself? not at all but that spirit is of the man and likewise this Spirit is of the Father.

There are no verses in scripture that contradict this.

Of course there is no Scripture which contradicts that verse, since the Word of God does not contradict itself. But you are attempting to use 1 Cor. 2:11 to contradict the verses I posted which show that the Holy Spirit is one of three Persons within the Godhead. It is an error to attempt to use one verse to promote an argument while ignoring numerous other verses which disprove your argument.

It is the role of God the Holy Spirit as the true Mentor to make spiritual matters perspicacious to the believer. John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. Just as Jesus Christ is a different Person from the Father, and was sent into the world, so also, the Holy Spirit who is a separate Person from the Father and from the Son was sent.

The Spirit of God is but one of many titles given to the Holy Spirit. These titles reflect His deity and His relationship to the other Persons of the Trinity. Some of His many titles are as follows:

The Spirit of Holiness Rom. 1:4, The Spirit of Life Rom. 8:2, The Spirit of Knowledge Isa. 11:2, The Spirit of Truth John 14:17

The Holy Spirit is distinguished from the Father and the Son. 2 Cor 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all. You cannot have fellowship with a force or an attribute. You can only have fellowship with a person, and the Holy Spirit is shown in 2 Cor. 13:14 to be one of three Persons in the Godhead.

All three Persons of the Godhead are mentioned in 2 Cor 13:14.

Each of the three Persons of the Trinity is said to indwell the Church Age believer.

The indwelling of the Father: John 14:23; Eph. 4:6; Phil. 2:13

The indwelling of the Son: John 14:20; John 17:22-23,26; Rom. 8:10

The indwelling of the Holy Spirit: Rom. 8:11; 1 Cor. 3:16; 1 Cor. 6:19; 2 Cor. 6:16

Old 11-26-2012, 10:50 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
So long as you look to justify your selves with the word of men, concerning God ,and not seek after God for what He thinks, your egos will remain embroiled having neither the truth ,nor His approval.
Jesus provided the Holy spirit alone, to teach in his place the things Jesus taught .
Jesus spicificly instructed the disciples not to be called father ,master or rabbi.
God alone has the position to be called father, Jesus alone is master, and the holy Spirit, our tutor .
Cercumventing Jesus design with something else, does not make the changes lagidiment.
It makes them DISOBEDIENT .
No matter what traditions men have established.
Jesus jumped on the pharesees for teaching for doctrine the commandments of men, but in stead of listening to Jesus, men fabricated a bunch of stuff Jesus did not teach, as though they had a right to it .
One cannot ligidimently claim Jesus lordship if they are not obeying Jesus teaching and the tutelage of the Holy spirit Jesus provided .

Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
There is One God, the Father.
And One Lord, Jesus Christ.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:02 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
A somewhat archaic term for God.

Quote:
god·head (gdhd)
n.
1. Divinity; godhood.
2. Godhead
a. The Christian God, especially the Trinity.
b. The essential and divine nature of God, regarded abstractly.
[Middle English godhode, godhede, from Old English godhd : god, god; see god + -hd, -hood.]
SOURCE

ADDED:

It comes from the old English word Godhd also spelled godhad and meaning divine nature.

Quote:
godhead (n.) c.1200, from god + M.E. -hede, cognate with -hood and Ger. -heit. Along with maidenhead, this is the sole survival of this form of the suffix. Old English had godhad "divine nature."

SOURCE

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 11-26-2012 at 11:14 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 PM

167 posts, read 179,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
So long as you look to justify your selves with the word of men, concerning God ,and not seek after God for what He thinks, your egos will remain embroiled having neither the truth ,nor His approval.
Jesus provided the Holy spirit alone, to teach in his place the things Jesus taught .
Jesus spicificly instructed the disciples not to be called father ,master or rabbi.
God alone has the position to be called father, Jesus alone is master, and the holy Spirit, our tutor .
Cercumventing Jesus design with something else, does not make the changes lagidiment.
It makes them DISOBEDIENT .
No matter what traditions men have established.
Jesus jumped on the pharesees for teaching for doctrine the commandments of men, but in stead of listening to Jesus, men fabricated a bunch of stuff Jesus did not teach, as though they had a right to it .
One cannot ligidimently claim Jesus lordship if they are not obeying Jesus teaching and the tutelage of the Holy spirit Jesus provided .
I personally think that Christians tend to naturally think that the traditions they were taught to believe must be right and any variation on that must be wrong, and in doing so, like the Pharisees, miss the heart of the Law of Christ. Christ didn't promise that those who were obedient were necessarily good, in fact he asked the rich man "Why do you call me good, only God is good." He told the disciples that the gross sinners may enter into the kingdom of God before the disciples themselves. He compared the humility of the sinning tax collector favorably against the righteous Pharisee. He pointed out that we all fall short and sin and that salvation is an undeserved kindness. He said that those seeking knowledge of himself and the one who sent him leads to everlasting life, not only to those finding it. God sees the heart. The greatest sin is equal to the least, only one is unforgivable. David, beloved of God, had a man killed to have intercourse with the man's wife.

When I think of the monstrous acts against man and God I can't think of any which would cause me to judge so harshly the righteous along with the unrighteous without realizing my own humility in this sinful state, except for those who insist their doctrine is infallible in the name of God at the cost of stumbling others should they be wrong, as even the apostles were often wrong.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
The term 'Godhead' is a KJV rendering of three different Greek words which simply denote the divine nature. Acts 17:29; Rom 1:20; Col. 2:9

Acts 17:29 "Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature (theion - Godhead, which is actually a KJV translation of theion) is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man.

Rom. 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature (theiotés - Godhead), have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

Col 2:9 For in Him all the fullness of Deity (theotétos - Godhead) dwells in bodily form,

In His nature or essence, God is One. There is only one true God.

Isa. 43:10 "You are My witnesses," declares the LORD, "And My servant whom I have chosen, So that you may know and believe Me And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, And there will be none after Me.

Isa. 45:5 "I am the LORD, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God. I will gird you, though you have not known Me;

And yet, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all stated in the Scriptures to be God.

1.] The Father: 2 Cor. 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,

2.] The Son: John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. Phil. 2:5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6] who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

3.] The Holy Spirit: Acts 5:3 But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land? 4] "While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

As already shown in the original post, the Holy Spirit is a Person, He has His own will, He makes sovereign decisions, He teaches.

While God is One, He is not One in the same sense in which He is three. There are three Persons or centers of consciousness which are a united one by their essence or nature. The three Persons are One God. Not three gods.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Holiness in general is an equivalent term for Godhead, as Holy is synonymous with that of being "Divine."
And the most commonly used designation for God is the "Holy one" or that of the "Holy Spirit."

"To lie to the Holy Spirit is to lie to God."

Last edited by Jerwade; 11-26-2012 at 11:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity