Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:35 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

Advertisements

The same thing before the New Testament was written ......Do you know that Jesus Christ is in you?,if you don't you have failed the test no matter how many Old Testament scriptures you have memorized and quote at the unbeliever.

Jesus Christ taught the early believers that he was with them and soon would be in them,hard to comprehend if you have a veiled mind that only sees a man with a beard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 12:46 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
I would attempt to make that person realize that an intellectual belief in God avails you nothing. After all, Satan is well aware of the existence of God and Satan also knows the bible backwards, forwards and inside out.

It's only trusting in God and His promises, for those who do trust that counts. It's only by being a child of God that makes any difference at all.

It's like a chair that's sitting there in front of you. WE can all look at it and agree, "It's a chair" but if that chair looks ricketey to you and you think it won't hold you up if you sit on it, then the belief in the chair is useless. If on the other hand you believe it will hold you and you sit on it then the belief in the chair has a benefit to the believer.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:20 PM

167 posts, read 179,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley14 View Post
Long story short - a person I know has expressed to me that while they believe in God, they also strongly believe in evolution and go further to say that they think that the Bible is merely a set of stories of how people should live their lives. How do you respond to this?
It would depend upon which God they professed belief in. There are, what, 80 million Shinto gods? Countless Hindu gods . . . The Bible doesn't have a monopoly on Gods.

If, on the other hand, they are talking about the God of the Bible, Jehovah, then what can you do? Correct them if they will listen.

There is a Latin term used in theater and literature and even modern day movies. Deus ex mechana. (I hope I spelled that right) It means "God from the machine." In Greek theater they had elevators or mechanical platforms which could be raised or lowered in a play, producing a miraculous solution to a difficulty in the plot. Since these machines were operated by hand it could be said that a more effective translation is "God from ones own hands, or ones own devise."

People tend to create their own gods. A God who will understand them and be all forgiving, for example.

Another Latin term comes to mind.Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. People believe what they want to believe.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Actually when people believe and go and do what Jesus says and believe what Jesus said and do it and , even resist the things Jesus said to resist , than these people who obey Gods Word give God honor , which is rightfully His , As God is a Royal Majesty King of Heaven and the earth , so It is expected from God that All would believe and obey...... For if they reject God Words than they become the demi-god in every thing they reject from The Lord Jesus Words

Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Long story short - a person I know has expressed to me that while they believe in God, they also strongly believe in evolution and go further to say that they think that the Bible is merely a set of stories of how people should live their lives. How do you respond to this?
What's wrong with that? Why can't they have their belief and you have yours? As it is, I'm more in line with what your relative believes.

Evolution is a proven scientific fact. There is no denying that things and animals have evolved.

When they say, "God", it could be due to the fact that they were raised calling a "supreme being", God. It doesn't mean it has to be the Bible's version of God, they just believe in a higher power. Many religions believe in a higher power, doesn't mean they are all Christians. Doesn't mean they are wrong, doesn't mean you are wrong.

You have your faith, your relative and people like your relative, (ie: me), have ours. I do not believe the Bible was "written" by God. I believe it was written by man and they are stories telling us how to live our lives.

Do I believe in the God from the Bible? No.

I do believe in a higher power, however.

I agree with another poster who basically said, "live and let live". Once you start pushing that they are wrong and "need saving", you're just going to alienate them.

Best thing anyone can do is lead by example, not preach.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM

55 posts, read 63,541 times
Default It is still a theory

If Evolution is a fact why is it called "The Theory of Evolution" and not called the "Law of Evolution"

Also, someone posted the Bible is God breathed and inerrant. Which version? Surely not the NIV. It has a little over 6000 fewer words than the King James!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 AM

130 posts, read 503,457 times
They say they believe in God and Jesus. I am sorry, I thought I pointed that out. Guess that could have solved a lot of the conversation we have had.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM

121 posts, read 106,959 times
Quote:
They say they believe in God and Jesus. I am sorry, I thought I pointed that out. Guess that could have solved a lot of the conversation we have had.
It certainly should have eliminated any concerns you might have for their fate. What else do they need as Christians, if they believe in God and Jesus?

Old 11-28-2012, 03:44 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty3ad View Post
If Evolution is a fact why is it called "The Theory of Evolution" and not called the "Law of Evolution"
Are you serious? This is like #1 in the arguments Creationists should not use. A scientific theory is not a layman's terminology. It doesn't mean a guess. A scientific theory is the best anything ever becomes. It is a well evidenced and observed explanation for the mechanisms of a specific scientific phenomenon. Gravity is a Theory. Atomic Energy is a Theory. Plate Tectonics is a Theory. Germs is a Theory.

A law, is a mathematical formula used to express a certain aspect of a scientific theory. A theory does not become a law.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I would say let that person walk their own path.
I fully and completely agree with this statement.

I'm a very spiritual person and fully believe in God whatever that entails.

Leave this person to believe what he or she decides to believe in.

The myopic view on the way to spiritual enlightenment by Jesus based fundamentalist Christian sects is the used car salesman of the Christian faith.

Simply stop the "" witnessing "" and the so called "" testimony "" to those that might not hold the same beliefs as yourself and you just might stop the downward spiral of those leaving your ranks for more peaceful, loving pastures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity