Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 AM

130 posts, read 503,344 times

Advertisements

Long story short - a person I know has expressed to me that while they believe in God, they also strongly believe in evolution and go further to say that they think that the Bible is merely a set of stories of how people should live their lives. How do you respond to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
Likely have not actually read the Bible, is my guess.
More importantly though is to pray for that person and encourag them into a saving relaionship with Jesus Christ .
And note to them, by giving Jesus lordship in their life God will and can teach them with or with out the scriptures ,so Long as Jesus has Lordship in their life .
Jesus porvided the Holy spirit to teach and instructed the disciples not be called teachers. That is Jesus /and the Holy Spirit's job. He said so.. Not me alone.
Point is in a realtionship God can do a far better job than man can in teaching ,knowing you from the inside out .
Didn't Jesus demonstrate this many times in His ministry ?
Jesus said," My sheep know my voice . "

Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 AM

I would also add that they are heavy into evolution whereby they fully back evolution but do acknowledge that there is a God out there. I would not say they have a personal relationship with God.

Last edited by Riley14; 11-27-2012 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: add

Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 AM

8,168 posts, read 6,920,059 times
I would say let that person walk their own path.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 AM

Okay it is actually a family member that was once very involved in church and seemed to be very far along in their walk with God. A terrible sin occurred a year or so ago and since then the individual’s faith has seemingly diminished due to the views of other individuals that the person now relates with.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
Is that person asking you for your opinion or advice about their beliefs?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,875 times
Tell them to do this exercise: Take a pencil or pen. Hold it in the air. Then drop it to the floor. That’s gravity. Next, make a single-celled organism—like an amoeba—turn it into a goat. Wait as long as it takes for him/her to complete the exercise...........have your bible nearby.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley14 View Post
Long story short - a person I know has expressed to me that while they believe in God, they also strongly believe in evolution and go further to say that they think that the Bible is merely a set of stories of how people should live their lives. How do you respond to this?
Quote:
I would also add that they are heavy into evolution whereby they fully back evolution but do acknowledge that there is a God out there. I would not say they have a personal relationship with God.
Quote:
Okay it is actually a family member that was once very involved in church and seemed to be very far along in their walk with God. A terrible sin occurred a year or so ago and since then the individual’s faith has seemingly diminished due to the views of other individuals that the person now relates with.
It sounds like this person has an inward struggle that they're not allowing God into because they're not willing to let it go. In that case, many people who claim to be Christians will piece together a god that they can accept and understand. That's idolatry, placing themselves in God's position and lowering God to a created being's status.

It would be a rather poor god that just exists but didn't leave any instructions, comfort, commandments or word of any kind for their followers to use. Even false religions have their own "holy" books.

My response to you would be to diligently keep this person in prayer. Fast and seek God yourself, asking Him what you should say to them. Don't give up on this until God answers. Just like the woman in the scriptures who pestered the judge until she received justice. God wants us to seek Him in this way.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 AM

It was more just a casual conversation type thing where going to church came up and the person just sort of said they believe in evolution now and that the Bible is just really full of moral stories on how we should act, especially given some of the outlandish events that it speaks of (their words not mine!). So to answer your question, no, I just was seeing this as an opportunity to witness but didn't exactly know what to say...

Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
He said he was a believer, he said he also believes in evolution and that he is not a bible literalist..Sounds like he was just making a statement. Many believers (including myself) can make the same broad statement without going into the specifics.

Things happen in our lives to help us to make decisions about what we can accept as truth and what we can't accept as truth.

I suggest (from experience) you don't try to tell your family member he is not a "real Christian" any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity