Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,090 times

Advertisements

?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
?
Because they were full of sinful, bad people. Long story short, he couldn't find 10 righteous people there.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Two reasons.

Sexual immorality - Genesis 19 and Jude 7
In-hospitality and abundance - Ezekiel 16

Conservative Christians focus on the sexual immorality and liberals focus only on Ezekiel 16, but per the Bible it was both. It really isn't too different from America today.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:11 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Yes In Ezekiel 16: 49-50...Lord God said .....```Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom, pride, fullness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and the needy....And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me....there fore I took them away as I saw good ``.............Like people were starving there , and people had it all and never gave the starving people any notice and committed abominations in the sight of God , so God took them out ....... Then from Genesis 19: 4-11.....Two angels came to Lot`s house were there they had a feast ...The men of Sodom, compassed the house around, both old and young, all the people from every quarter....and they said `Where are the men which came in to you this night ? that we may know them ....And Lot went out to see them and said ``I have two daughters which have not known man, let me I pray you, bring them out to you , and do you to them as is good in your eyes , only to these men do nothing ... Then these men of the city tried to break down the door of Lot`s house and these Angels men smote all the men at he door with blindness ``.............Basically these people were under a curse and the devil was manipulating them in their iniquity , where they could have influenced the whole area and stopped God s plan for Abraham and the blessing which was coming ....So destroy these cities of Sodom and Gomarrah..

Old 12-09-2012, 04:43 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

Fundamental Christianity just cannot see beyond a God who is at peace with the world

The wrath of God remaining on man here in this scripture is clearly connected with not seeing "Life"........ Jesus Christ said " I AM the Life". In other words when you see me you see the Life of God, for God is Life.

The wrath of God is clearly not fire and brimstone,or God bringing havoc and destruction of any form upon man in this scripture.

The Light that is the Light to all men dawns upon a mans heart while in darkness and brings him to faith. Unless this Light dawns upon us, we remain in darkness.

the people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned."

The land of the shadow of death is the belief of God and man are separated.

But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ. If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Being far away from God has never been about separated from God, for where we are He is, being far away is being alienated in our minds from the Life of God which is in us all.

Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
It wasn't that far in the past that the world was destroyed by a flood due to man's increddible wickedness. Fast forward to Sodom and Gomorrah. It wasn't just those two cities destroyed but the cities of the plains as well; those in close contact with the two cities. There was probably a great increase in sexual diseases and rather than spread the diseases world-wide God felt it best to nip the spread in the bud.

But we can't just stop there. God is going to eventually save all of those who died in the conflagration. (1 Timothy 2:4-6).

Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Bible literalists can skip this one:

There was a good show on TV once about this. It showed the areas where Sodom and Gomorrah were supposed to have existed, and likely there were actually remains of destroyed cities there. There are also these weird salt formations around the Dead Sea.

Put that together with long dark nights and elders needing to tell stories that held moral lessons, and you could start with "Here's what happened in THOSE cities over there..."

Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Why over-complicate Bible Truth with opinion?

Genesis 18:20-21

Then the Lord said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21 that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.”

Genesis 18:32

Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?” He answered, “For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:36 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Bible literalists can skip this one:

There was a good show on TV once about this. It showed the areas where Sodom and Gomorrah were supposed to have existed, and likely there were actually remains of destroyed cities there. There are also these weird salt formations around the Dead Sea.

Put that together with long dark nights and elders needing to tell stories that held moral lessons, and you could start with "Here's what happened in THOSE cities over there..."
I believe the Bible and believe Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed by fire. For many years the smoke of their destruction rose up as a reminder for people not to do what they did.

It has nothing to do with elders needing to tell stories that held moral lessons. Rather than just say that, why don't you prove your assertion with historic evidence that they just needed stories to tell?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM

239 posts, read 192,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ. If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Being far away from God has never been about separated from God, for where we are He is, being far away is being alienated in our minds from the Life of God which is in us all.

Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior.
You seem to be taking Eph. 2:13 way out of context and adding something else to it without disclosing that you have done so. Eph. 2:13 is of course talking about the Gentiles who were once far from God because they were not a part of Israel. But now that through Christ the Gentiles are brought near to God. Read it in context:

Eph. 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity