Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 AM

218 posts, read 483,646 times

Advertisements

I am a youth leader in my church's youth group. Although I am only a few years older than them, there is definitely a generational gap between us.

It seems that this generation is so apathetic! They don't care about anything. For example, we went to Winter Jam the other weekend and most of the students were sitting down on their phones. When I went to Winter Jam as a high school student, my whole youth group was jumping around singing and dancing. Another example, they don't seem to have any passion during religious discussion. Most of them aren't paying attention! If they are paying attention, they try to look like a know-it-all in front of their friends and are disrespectful to the youth pastor.

When I was in youth group as a high school student, everyone was always bringing friends. We worshipped and praised the Lord. We were involved in the student-lead Christian organizations in school. I don't see this today. In fact, the numbers of youth groups seem to be dwindling.

It might just be because we are a smaller church and can't afford a live band with strobe lights and a smoke machine. Is this what it is taking now to reach these kids, a rock concert without any lessons on how to be a Christian?

Am I the only one noticing this? Am I the only one who is tired of this apathetic outlook on life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
Fixation on what's on a person's cell phone does not just seem to be among the youth. I've seen grown women in restaurants doing the same thing. But in general, I don't understand the mind set of most people today. The youth just seem to be a natural product of parents who are self centered and completely materialistic. In general, I don't see much interest in anyone under 60 in genuinely being a disciple of Christ. It shows in membership statistics. The youth pretty much are vacating the church and even those that are there don't seem much interested in what's going on there.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Fixation on what's on a person's cell phone does not just seem to be among the youth. I've seen grown women in restaurants doing the same thing. But in general, I don't understand the mind set of most people today. The youth just seem to be a natural product of parents who are self centered and completely materialistic. In general, I don't see much interest in anyone under 60 in genuinely being a disciple of Christ. It shows in membership statistics. The youth pretty much are vacating the church and even those that are there don't seem much interested in what's going on there.

It's really sad that this is the future generation of the church. Where are they going to lead it? I just don't understand. I know it's not my place to judge other people, but it is actually scary.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle20 View Post
I am a youth leader in my church's youth group. Although I am only a few years older than them, there is definitely a generational gap between us.

It seems that this generation is so apathetic! They don't care about anything. For example, we went to Winter Jam the other weekend and most of the students were sitting down on their phones. When I went to Winter Jam as a high school student, my whole youth group was jumping around singing and dancing. Another example, they don't seem to have any passion during religious discussion. Most of them aren't paying attention! If they are paying attention, they try to look like a know-it-all in front of their friends and are disrespectful to the youth pastor.

When I was in youth group as a high school student, everyone was always bringing friends. We worshipped and praised the Lord. We were involved in the student-lead Christian organizations in school. I don't see this today. In fact, the numbers of youth groups seem to be dwindling.

It might just be because we are a smaller church and can't afford a live band with strobe lights and a smoke machine. Is this what it is taking now to reach these kids, a rock concert without any lessons on how to be a Christian?

Am I the only one noticing this? Am I the only one who is tired of this apathetic outlook on life?
Yeah its pretty bad now, we discussed that this weekend how to close the generation gap between the youth and older adults. Our church gave our your the 4th Sunday as youth sunday and within a couple of months it completly died off, as they lost all interset and only a few were actively involved. When they are in the main service with adults they seem super bored and we wonder now adays why when alot of christian kids turn 18 and go off to college why they loose all faith because a stranger challenged them one time and never come back to church.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 AM

741 posts, read 1,289,004 times
Are you sure the material you are presenting is even relavent? Are you reading bullet points out of a "Youth Ministry" manual or are you having meaningful discussion? Are you just reading Bible versus aloud with no deeper inquiry? Do you have any training whatsoever in debates etc?
Are you sure "Winter Jam" isn't a bunch of watered down craptastic praise songs??

Those are some points I immediatly think of.

Are you creating a place where it's OK to be in a state of "questioning one's faith". Not just a place where one sits around fake-praising Jesus because their parents are forcing them to attend?

Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,013 times
The youth are not diciplined. they are selfish. most in the church are only there because of the parents. although churches try hard to keep them coming, it cannot compete with the instant gratification they seek. the church's cannot lower standards just to keep the people coming. This is a problem i blame on dads. many dads depended on sunday school to teach their kids. the dads never sat down and taught their own kids. now the kids are teenagers and only know the story of noah and the story of david and goliath. to a teenager , those stories are silly. these teenagers were never taught the simplicity of God. the love of God. I say the blame is the dad. He is suppose to be the priest of the home. If no dad wants to step up, then the mom. but please do not depend on sunday school to do anything for your kids.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,370,905 times
I was talking with a friend the other night, about how many young people in the 60s-70s spoke out against injustice in the world, made music, did artistic things to express their ideas and feelings.
Today young people don't have any energy at all in this regard. Apathetic, yes.

Personally, I believe that creativity is a fundamental part of our being. A divine aspect of our existence.
And if people aren't creating at all? If they're just sitting there lapping up whatever the main stream culture tells them, without any reflection, debate, expression?

Scary....

Blessings!
brian

Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Are you sure the material you are presenting is even relavent? Are you reading bullet points out of a "Youth Ministry" manual or are you having meaningful discussion? Are you just reading Bible versus aloud with no deeper inquiry? Do you have any training whatsoever in debates etc?
Are you sure "Winter Jam" isn't a bunch of watered down craptastic praise songs??

Those are some points I immediatly think of.

Are you creating a place where it's OK to be in a state of "questioning one's faith". Not just a place where one sits around fake-praising Jesus because their parents are forcing them to attend?

I understand where you are coming from, the kids can't be expected to engage if it is boring to them or they don't feel "safe" to express their questions. But that's just my point.

How do you engage a student who is used to instant gratification and doesn't appreciate anything? You can't have a meaningful discussion if no one participates. There can't be a safe place if no one shows up or opens up...

Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
The youth are not diciplined. they are selfish. most in the church are only there because of the parents. although churches try hard to keep them coming, it cannot compete with the instant gratification they seek. the church's cannot lower standards just to keep the people coming. This is a problem i blame on dads. many dads depended on sunday school to teach their kids. the dads never sat down and taught their own kids. now the kids are teenagers and only know the story of noah and the story of david and goliath. to a teenager , those stories are silly. these teenagers were never taught the simplicity of God. the love of God. I say the blame is the dad. He is suppose to be the priest of the home. If no dad wants to step up, then the mom. but please do not depend on sunday school to do anything for your kids.

I agree that the parents should be the spiritual leaders of the home. I'm not sure about blaming just the dad or the mom thought because preacher's kids tend to be the worst ones. I know I was.

However, I certainly agree that kids don't understand the simple lessons. I really think that kids forget about having a relationship with Him. It takes work, just like with any other relationship. People so easily forget how He loves us. It's a shame.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 AM

741 posts, read 1,289,004 times
First thing is to have a "Guidance meeting" with all the parents, ask the parents what they hope their children get out of the youth ministry, what their thoughts are on the purpose or direction of such a ministry. This will really help establish the mission and let you know what you are dealing with in terms of the parents. Has the ministry become a baby sitting service? If this is the case, you really must know.
Think about the range of ages in kids. You may have already addressed this, but there I really don't think Middle and High School ages can be targeted with the same ciriculum.
Have you just point blank asked the kids why they were there and what they wanted? Their resoponses will be telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity