Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:39 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is the product of a chauvinistic patriarchal culture that currently fuels the dreams of sex on demand for male egotists throughout Christianity. Absurd. Everything is by mutual consent. Marriage is an equal partnership with different responsibilities that should be allocated and performed by the partner most capable. Knowledge and ability . . . not gender . . . are the controlling factors in whose leadership should be followed in any given circumstance.

Excellent post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 04:17 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That sounds good, but doesn't answer my question.
Well, no....so I guess the answer is that they go get counselling because they are in serious trouble.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
This is pretty informative.

http://web4.uwindsor.ca/users/w/wint...fe.natpost.pdf

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-13-2013, 04:29 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This is pretty informative.

http://web4.uwindsor.ca/users/w/wint...fe.natpost.pdf

20yrsinBranson
Yes, being passively controlling is MUCH better.

True, the woman had problems and expressed herself in a wrong way both for herself and the relationship, but going off in the othwer direction is still controlling and not really working out a good relationship.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:32 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit. If you have seen me you have seen my wife.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:39 PM

281 posts, read 306,380 times
Quote:
It is the product of a chauvinistic patriarchal culture that currently fuels the dreams of sex on demand for male egotists throughout Christianity. Absurd. Everything is by mutual consent. Marriage is an equal partnership with different responsibilities that should be allocated and performed by the partner most capable. Knowledge and ability . . . not gender . . . are the controlling factors in whose leadership should be followed in any given circumstance.
Not only was that not helpful, it is not an accurate view of biblical submission. The sex on demand argument that you want to use as black mark on men is also true of women. And yet the Scriptures do in fact teach, in several passages, that wives are to submit to their husbands. And if you read your bible you would see that there are more demands on the husbands relationship to the wife than there are of the wife to the husband. Stop airing your ignorant unchristian rhetoric here and actually give some helpful advice.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:57 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Eph 5:22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.
Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.
Eph 5:24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything

No Mstk, its based on the Bible, on God's word, this is what God says. Just as we as Christians submit to Christ's will, and try to submit the laws of the Government God has instituted, and children are to submit to the will of parents, wives are to let their husbands lead and make decisions in the home. There's only one steering wheel on a car. Someones got to be in charge. This is a basic principle that is in effect in most human societies. Anyone who encourages rebellion against God's order and structure which he ordained encourages others to rebel against God.

1Pe 3:1 Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands.

I thought I'd also include the Peter text so that you Paul haters could see that it wasn't just Paul who wrote this.
RESPONSE

Yes. In Christianity, we're told that it's God's will that the wife obey the husband in all things (or the wife goes to hell). Amen, amen!

I wish we could convince our wives of that. It would be so much easier to control them.

Moreover, according to Catholic teaching, that's the real traditional reason why a woman can never be a priest.

Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica > Supplement > Question 39

Is the female sex an impediment to receiving this sacrament (Holy Orders)?

"Accordingly, since it is not possible in the female sex to signify eminence of degree, for a woman is in the state of subjection, it follows that she cannot receive the sacrament of Order."

A woman better remember her true status!!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:59 PM

281 posts, read 306,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
As my lovely friend "I love North Carolina" stated, this is an often misunderstood passage in scripture!

I going to try to keep this real simple since you are just looking for practical advice

Whenever you read the word "submit" in Ephesians try substituting the word "trust" instead. This will help you get a better understanding of what husbands and wives are being called to do in a covenantal marriage - TRUST IN GOD.
I think that this may be a good idea about christian submission, but the word does mean to put in subjection under, and as a military term, it's to arrange in fashion under the command of a leader. In a non-military application, is still has the idea to arrange in such a fashion to be under a leader (husband and wive, Christ and the church, the flock to elders), but it's a voluntary submission. But I agree that it is done because we trust the person to whom we are submitting to, but we are to do it one way or the other and place our trust in the Lord that He will honor and bless us for doing it.

It is interesting to note that Eph. 5:22 does not contain the word 'subject/submit', rather the verse is a continuation of the thought of each of us submitting to each other, and vs. 22-33. Note also that husbands have nine verses that describe how he is to submit to his wife, while the wife only has 3 verses. Men like to ignore the way that they are to submit to their wives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
"Submitting" to him means you never undermine his efforts in any of that, you instead support his leadership.

When you disagree with a decision he has made you always discuss it with him in private to resolve the issue.

Never ever bad mouth him to your children or show any disrespect for him in any way shape or form to them or others.

Give him the respect and trust he deserves, even when your own ego or selfish desires might want you to do otherwise.

The more your practice this, the deeper your faith and relationship with God will grow. Try to remember this as a new Christian - scripture is designed not just to reveal to us the nature of God and his plan for mankind but to teach us how to live as children of God.

Best of luck to you as you continue forward in your journey!
I completely agree with the above! But the same goes for the husband towards the wife!

Blessings in Christ,

Matthew

Old 04-13-2013, 05:20 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
So true, Mystic. Men like you are too few! Jesus was a liberal and a feminist, as I see it. I am sorry that this statement will outrage many. But I truly believe it.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:28 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched.elect View Post
Not only was that not helpful, it is not an accurate view of biblical submission. The sex on demand argument that you want to use as black mark on men is also true of women. And yet the Scriptures do in fact teach, in several passages, that wives are to submit to their husbands. And if you read your bible you would see that there are more demands on the husbands relationship to the wife than there are of the wife to the husband. Stop airing your ignorant unchristian rhetoric here and actually give some helpful advice.
This was very helpful in higlighting the problem of chauvinistic men and their attitudes toward sexual "submission" and a host of other egotistical male attitudes. Women do not have to "submit" to their husbands sexually (or any other way) if they do not want to, period. Marriage is not a sex slave contract. It is a partnership. My post contains helpful and excellent advice . . . especially in the bold. It is time the chauvinistic attitudes of our ignorant ancestors be thrown in the dust bin of history along with all the other trash born of savage and barbaric cultural ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity