Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM

58 posts, read 77,442 times

Advertisements

Jesus said He would judge:

Matthew 25:31-46

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

That is the Mind of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 06:35 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,392,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbeard89 View Post
I need to clarify this.

In those times, use of the left hand was reserved for wiping your butt! In addition, to strike a man with your right hand was shown as "you are my equal", unless they used the back of their hand. By turning the other cheek, they would be forced to either strike you with their fist and admit you are their equal, or not hit you at all.

By law, they were able to have slaves carry their stuff for 1 mile. So when we are instructed to carry for 2, it puts them in a position of getting in trouble.

Its strategy to turn the tables in your favor without resorting to violence. I am firmly against the interpretation that we are to not defend our selves.
Personally, I think non-violence (even though not easy to put into practice) is the most noble response to violence. Even Ben Kenobi gave himself as a sacrifice, and he knew that was the most beneficial even for him.

Blessings,
brian

Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 AM

99 posts, read 147,654 times
Psalm 18:37-45 New King James Version (NKJV)

37I have pursued my enemies and overtaken them;Neither did I turn back again till they were destroyed. I have wounded them, 38 So that they could not rise; They have fallen under my feet.39For You have armed me with strength for the battle;You have subdued under me those who rose up against me.40You have also given me the necks of my enemies,So that I destroyed those who hated me.41They cried out, but there was none to save;Even to the LORD, but He did not answer them.42Then I beat them as fine as the dust before the wind;I cast them out like dirt in the streets.43You have delivered me from the strivings of the people;You have made me the head of the nations; A people I have not known shall serve me.44As soon as they hear of me they obey me;The foreigners submit to me. The foreigners fade away, 45 And come frightened from their hideouts.

Last edited by Neckbeard89; 04-30-2013 at 07:03 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,347,096 times
Quote:
I need to clarify this.

In those times, use of the left hand was reserved for wiping your butt! In addition, to strike a man with your right hand was shown as "you are my equal", unless they used the back of their hand. By turning the other cheek, they would be forced to either strike you with their fist and admit you are their equal, or not hit you at all.

By law, they were able to have slaves carry their stuff for 1 mile. So when we are instructed to carry for 2, it puts them in a position of getting in trouble.

Its strategy to turn the tables in your favor without resorting to violence. I am firmly against the interpretation that we are to not defend our selves.
Thats interesting, I've read something similar before, but I did not know it was forbidden for Romans to treat Jews or other non-Romans that way.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,392,688 times
Quote:
Psalm 18:37-45 New King James Version (NKJV)

37I have pursued my enemies and overtaken them;Neither did I turn back again till they were destroyed. I have wounded them, 38 So that they could not rise; They have fallen under my feet.39For You have armed me with strength for the battle;You have subdued under me those who rose up against me.40You have also given me the necks of my enemies,So that I destroyed those who hated me.41They cried out, but there was none to save;Even to the LORD, but He did not answer them.42Then I beat them as fine as the dust before the wind;I cast them out like dirt in the streets.43You have delivered me from the strivings of the people;You have made me the head of the nations; A people I have not known shall serve me.44As soon as they hear of me they obey me;The foreigners submit to me. The foreigners fade away, 45 And come frightened from their hideouts.
i tend to believe newer texts, namely this: love thine enemies, and we war not against flesh and blood.

Jesus' life is our example.

peace.
brian

Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,058,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
This is meant to be a discussion about the nature of Christianity, it's weaknesses and it's strengths. This is not meant to be an attack on Christianity but a deep inward reflection of it. I would like to ask any one who posts in this thread to avoid attacking each other, try to keep your remarks civil and for fellow Christians please be open to constructive criticism.

I will start with what I fell are Christianities strengths are because I'm sure allot of people are going to want to post what they fell is it's weaknesses as it is far easier to see the bad in some thing than to recognize the good. First Christianity teaches non-violence which I am sure most would agree is a good thing, however it also teaches us that we should refrain from protecting ourselves some thing I do not agree with. In an Ideal world pure pacifism would be fine but we live in a world where evil people scheme evil things. Christianity teaches us that we should not belittle or mistreat sinners but we should be nice to them and attempt to help them. Christianity teaches us that we should avoid hypocrisy and pride, and that we should not misjudge others based on our own pious beliefs. I would also add that Jesus's teachings had undertones of anti-ritual behavior and anti-organized religion which depending on who you are could be viewed as a good or a bad thing. On a whole Christianity's strength is that it teaches love, patience, and understanding.

Now for it's weaknesses as the title suggest I feel that the Devil is always blamed for the wrongs Christians commit and Jesus is used as an excuse to get away with what ever they want. Because most Christians feel that the Mosaic Law has passed away they believe they can sin all they want with out consequence simultaneously they say, "the Devil did it and Christ forgives all." This has created a culture of people who do not think they are responsible for their actions, people who feel they can get away with what ever they want, because in their eyes the Devil makes them do it and Christ will Forgive every thing. The main weakness of Christianity in my eyes is that many who follow it's teachings develop a lack of care or respect for their own actions and lack any since of responsibility. Many not all, do not feel guilt or remorse for their actions. I once asked a preacher "if Hitler asked Christ for forgiveness before dying would he be forgiven", I was shocked when he told me yes.

Can people go around not worrying about the effect their actions have?

If any one else can think of any positive or negative things about Christianity or would like to debate what I have said please do so, as I promise I will not get offended. This is in no way meant to be an attack on Christianity but one Christians deep inward look at the good and bad things that come with this faith. I will say however that I do not believe in blood sacrifice or the trinity.

May Peace and Love be with you always, in the name of Elohim, Amen.
I believe that the reality is that the references to Satan or the Devil in scriptures is actually a reference directly to the spirit of disobedient man. In other words, I don't believe there actually exists APART from man another entity called Satan or the Devil. Therefore, when we see that Jesus is coming to destroy the works of the devil (sin) - He is directly referring to OUR works of disobedience. In the Garden of Eden, I don't believe that there the Serpent (aka the Devil) is anything other than Adam's disobient nature (as opposed to his obedient nature) tempting Eve to take of the forbidden fruit.

So the devil is as misunderstood in my opinion as what Christianity itself is. But if we stick to what the meaning of Christianity is as followers of Christ then "Christianity" today doesn't not signify that at all. In fact, we should say that through possibliy etymology that the term "Christianity" today is simply a reference to those that CLAIM to believe in Christ as opposed to those actually believing and following Jesus Christ Himself. Since the vast majority of "Christians" do NOT what Christ says to do.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:47 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I believe that the reality is that the references to Satan or the Devil in scriptures is actually a reference directly to the spirit of disobedient man. In other words, I don't believe there actually exists APART from man another entity called Satan or the Devil. Therefore, when we see that Jesus is coming to destroy the works of the devil (sin) - He is directly referring to OUR works of disobedience. In the Garden of Eden, I don't believe that there the Serpent (aka the Devil) is anything other than Adam's disobient nature (as opposed to his obedient nature) tempting Eve to take of the forbidden fruit.

So the devil is as misunderstood in my opinion as what Christianity itself is. But if we stick to what the meaning of Christianity is as followers of Christ then "Christianity" today doesn't not signify that at all. In fact, we should say that through possibliy etymology that the term "Christianity" today is simply a reference to those that CLAIM to believe in Christ as opposed to those actually believing and following Jesus Christ Himself. Since the vast majority of "Christians" do NOT what Christ says to do.

Good post, trettep.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM

64,133 posts, read 40,458,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Good post, trettep.
Amen, trettep and Pleroo!!! Still can't rep either of you . . . so this will have to do.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 AM

58 posts, read 77,442 times
Ephesians 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,499,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Jones View Post
Ephesians 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
The Pinnacle of Sin and Death is the highest culminating point of man’s Religion in his attempt to rule over others.

Luke 10:25
And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit age-during life?
He said unto him, What is written in the law? How do you read it?
And the lawyer answered him, saying:

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.

And he said unto him, You have answered correctly; do this and you shall live.

The Psychology of ADVERSITY within Religion, including, the fears of Eternal punishment have clouded the soul.
But within every clouded soul, there is a silver lining called love; reach for it.

The Hebrew term for Satan merely describes an adversarial role; and an accuser is known for his unrighteous disposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity