Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:15 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times

Advertisements

Do these retirement accounts qualify as hoarding and not having faith that God will provide..

or do they qualify as "the right thing to do?"

My thoughts..

a little bit of this.. and a little bit of that..

On advice from my lawyer (you know who you are) I should state this question came about from a bible study booklet.

Last edited by bigthirsty; 11-05-2007 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 11:32 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
We called it "Storing up treasures for our retirement"..I like to think that God helped us make up the difference in the paydays to account for the money we held out for "old age"

Old 11-05-2007, 11:45 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Nowadays, at least here in Holland, many retirement funds play at the stock market.
They call it investing; I call it gambling with someone else's money.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
I personally don't have a problem with it. My husband and I are both taking measures to provide for ourselves in retirement. I'm not hoarding it, just storing it. When the time comes for that money to be used, I will pay tithes on it, and it will pay for our everyday living, just like our paychecks do currently. I think it would be worse for us to not plan ahead and then depend on our church or children to provide for us in our old age. That to me would be irresponsible with the gifts that God has given us.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:02 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
My husband and I are both taking measures to provide for ourselves in retirement.
but shouldn't we just count on the lord providing for us?

and yes.. I'm playing devils advocate.

This leads me down another road.. why not opt out of receiving Social Security? Won't the Lord provide?

and yes.. I'm playing devils advocate again

Old 11-05-2007, 12:04 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
The way I figure it, is that if we were given a brain, and we were supposed to use it. Yes, God will provide, but it will be at the expense of your children or the US Taxpayer.

You won't starve or go without a roof over your head. You'll even get medical care.

So the question is to decide which God would approve of, taking a chance on having to rely on some sort of welfare payment or on your own savings.

Of course, there's always the chance that you will die before you reach retirement age. Don't worry about cancer, high blood pressure, diabeties, all that stuff is just God's way of making those final years shorter. We die early, we don't have to worry about money.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:14 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

This leads me down another road.. why not opt out of receiving Social Security? Won't the Lord provide?

Some would argue that maybe social security could be compared to a tithe of the ot. You put part of your money earned back to the government and when you reach retirement they will distribute it back to you so you won't be so dependant on standing at the gate with a cup in your hand..With that way of thinking,yes the lord is providing

Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
In Proverbs chapter 6 the Bible says to "look at the ant" that gathers food in the summer. I think part of being a good steward with our money is providing for ourselves and children in the future.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:19 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
As Padgett likes to say, God gave us a brain...

Really, I think the Bible advocates wisdom all through it. There is a proverb that speaks something to the fact that the wise person saves, and doesn't spend all he has. (Maybe I can find it later.) Besides the "ant" one which arguy mentioned.

Jesus does say to store up our treasures in heaven not on earth where they can be stolen and are transitory. I don't think He means not to wisely save for the future, but rather that our priorities should be heavenly, not earthly. He also exhorts us not to "worry" about our provision and promises that our heavenly Father will take care of us, but I think worrying is different from wisely planning.

Of course, all that said, personally I have more of a problem with what I might be unknowingly supporting through my 401 than anything else. I think that could possibly be an issue...

Okay the scripture I was thinking about is Proverbs 21:20 "There is treasure to be desired and oil in the house of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up." KJV

Last edited by kaykay; 11-05-2007 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: add scripture

Old 11-05-2007, 12:21 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

God provides us with knowledge. We use this knowledge to provide for ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity