Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:20 AM

796 posts, read 859,465 times

Advertisements

At the SBC annual convention a missionary made the following comments:

“Dare we turn over partially conquered ground to Mormons, to Jehovah’s Witnesses, to Muslims?”

“Dare we allow proponents of liberal theology to sneak among our converts through Bible-training programs and seminaries to corrupt the very believers that we have labored to bring to salvation in Christ?”.

Missionary warns of

This got me to thinking. In today's world the cults, liberals and false religions are bombarding us with their false teachings. Many of which they try and present in Christian clothing. They rule the TV airwaves and offer a flesh pleasing enticement to lure away all they can. What are we (Christians) doing to prevent this? Are we doing enough to teach new (and old) converts to Christ the truth which in itself will help them to recognize the false teachings?

I realize many who post on this forum will disagree with this idea. But this just lines up with what I see is going on everywhere today.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,212,671 times
He's right, of course. But this forum ranges from universalists to Mormons to the occasional JW. They all think they have the right to define Christianity, but they get really bent out of shape if you try to do the same.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,849,935 times
As prophesied in scripture, the 'Last Days' will be characterized by a large number of people 'who will no longer endure sound doctrine' and 'whose itching ears desire only to hear some new idea or truth.' Today, far too many suffer from a 'Pilate epidemic' ... "What is truth?" (aka: "Truth is whatever the majority or most persuasive speaker says it is").

Does the greatest danger today (or at any time) lie with the liberals or cults, which have existed from the beginning? I think not, since scripture clearly describes the End Time 'church' and world events --(Christianity will never be destroyed or torn-down by false teachers and prophets. However, IMO, the rise of 'false Christianity' is promoted more by apathetic, Biblically illiterate Christians seeking and willing to settle for 'entertainment,' instead of God.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,763,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
At the SBC annual convention a missionary made the following comments:

“Dare we turn over partially conquered ground to Mormons, to Jehovah’s Witnesses, to Muslims?”

“Dare we allow proponents of liberal theology to sneak among our converts through Bible-training programs and seminaries to corrupt the very believers that we have labored to bring to salvation in Christ?”.

Missionary warns of

This got me to thinking. In today's world the cults, liberals and false religions are bombarding us with their false teachings. Many of which they try and present in Christian clothing. They rule the TV airwaves and offer a flesh pleasing enticement to lure away all they can. What are we (Christians) doing to prevent this? Are we doing enough to teach new (and old) converts to Christ the truth which in itself will help them to recognize the false teachings?

I realize many who post on this forum will disagree with this idea. But this just lines up with what I see is going on everywhere today.
This is supposed to happen, according to the Bible. Remember that Jesus said that many would come as He and deceive the world.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:27 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,382,069 times
THE LIBERALS ARE COMING!! THE LIBERALS ARE COMING!!

..Sure, some of them go way too far, but as seen throughout history, oftentimes yesterdays liberals become todays fundamentalists so I would be cautious of who you cast into the fire of heresy.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:29 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,900,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post

Dare we allow anyone to disagree with us?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
As prophesied in scripture, the 'Last Days' will be characterized by a large number of people 'who will no longer endure sound doctrine' and 'whose itching ears desire only to hear some new idea or truth.' Today, far too many suffer from a 'Pilate epidemic' ... "What is truth?" (aka: "Truth is whatever the majority or most persuasive speaker says it is").

Does the greatest danger today (or at any time) lie with the liberals or cults, which have existed from the beginning? I think not, since scripture clearly describes the End Time 'church' and world events --(Christianity will never be destroyed or torn-down by false teachers and prophets. However, IMO, the rise of 'false Christianity' is promoted more by apathetic, Biblically illiterate Christians seeking and willing to settle for 'entertainment,' instead of God.
I believe the only way satan can hurt us once we become Christians is to keep us distracted and enticing us with things that feel good and look good (to the flesh). That's what's going on. I would say that most who claim to be Christians are not and some of those don't even know they are not.

Just watch how many will respond to this topic by attacking the messenger rather than addressing the message.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
This is supposed to happen, according to the Bible. Remember that Jesus said that many would come as He and deceive the world.
This is true but I do not believe we are to surrender because of it. We must try and share the truth of God, I think, as much as we can. And teach sound doctrine in a world of false doctrines.

I am not surprised by the condition of the world today. I am just asking what we as Christians need to do to show others the truth out of our love for them. We should not let the enemy define us. They have the world believing Christians hate people when it is sin we hate and try to share God with them because we love them.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,634,985 times

Stick to the truth and the facts. Many think that that bible/religion/Christianity has to change to come up to modern society's mores/beliefs. The opposite is true. You choose either the truth or the world. Christ said "My kingdon is NOT of this world", "whoever has friendship with the world is at emnity with God". You can either be popular with God/Christ OR
be popular with the world. And you are NOT going to know "truths" unless you read AND with understanding, not with a critical mind, meditate and pray. This is going to sound like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo bunk to critics/unbelievers.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post

Stick to the truth and the facts. Many think that that bible/religion/Christianity has to change to come up to modern society's mores/beliefs. The opposite is true. You choose either the truth or the world. Christ said "My kingdon is NOT of this world", "whoever has friendship with the world is at emnity with God". You can either be popular with God/Christ OR
be popular with the world. And you are NOT going to know "truths" unless you read AND with understanding, not with a critical mind, meditate and pray. This is going to sound like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo bunk to critics/unbelievers.
Excellent points! I am more thinking along the lines of the mechanics of what we do. For instance. Our church has a new member class. We try to have all new converts and new members to our church attend this class. It's purpose is to cover in depth, basic doctrinal truths that Christianity is built upon. The essentials if you will. I believe it is important to learn the truth so well that when the counterfeit comes along you recognize it.

My point and I believe the point of the missionary whose quote prompted this thread is that we go to great efforts to reach people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ and all too often do not follow up with the "make disciples" command of Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity