Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:40 PM

794 posts, read 846,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
So what level of human understanding is considered acceptable? Everything that leads up to contradicting what is written in the Bible? It seems to me that we have figured out a whole lot of things that have made life easier for a whole lot of us. Much of that is based on observation of the world around us. Are you suggesting that all of that observation is acceptable unless it flys in the face of what is written in the Bible?

I find it hard to believe that God would make us curious, inquisitive, intelligent, and capable of our own discovery, and then condemn us to eternal pain for believing what we are able to observe around us. Kind of puts a damper on any sort of reliable cognitive faculty.
Every pursuit of man is a pursuit of perfection. Innovation, power, success, pride, respect, ect.. all of this humans are going after. When God made humans He made us with perfection and gave us every desire and supply we would ever need for all eternity. Ever since the fall of man, the human pursuit has always been to reach the perfect we once had. Apart from God we'll never have it. Deep down every human has a desire for eternity and truth. Many people look for this in things not of God and settle for whatever makes them feel more at peace. But the problem with everything not of God is that none of it promises eternity. That is why humans are still trying to obtain perfection in any way they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Also:

Quote:
It takes 32 genetically different individuals to ensure the survival of a species. A single breeding pair would have offspring that would have to inbreed, causing massive birth deflects by the third and fourth generations.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:46 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Every pursuit of man is a pursuit of perfection. Innovation, power, success, pride, respect, ect.. all of this humans are going after. When God made humans He made us with perfection and gave us every desire and supply we would ever need for all eternity. Ever since the fall of man, the human pursuit has always been to reach the perfect we once had. Apart from God we'll never have it. Deep down every human has a desire for eternity and truth. Many people look for this in things not of God and settle for whatever makes them feel more at peace. But the problem with everything not of God is that none of it promises eternity. That is why humans are still trying to obtain perfection in any way they can.
I don't feel like that answered the question.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 PM

794 posts, read 846,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I don't feel like that answered the question.
Do you believe in Jesus?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Do you believe in Jesus?
Philosophically I believe in the necessity of atonement. I am not convinced, however, of the historical accuracy of the Bible.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Or, that the original couple existed a whole lot longer ago than during the time-frame that the Biblical account suggests.

Interesting post!
There's actually another option. If you trace the biblical time-line back to Adam and Eve, it does appear that they supposedly lived some 6000 years ago. In trying to figure out how I personally see the Adam and Eve story, and reconcile it with evolution (and I do believe in both a very old earth and evolution), I've considered the possibility that Adam and Eve were not the first man and woman to live on this earth. We know that human beings (or at least human-like creatures) have existed for hundreds of thousands of years. My feelings are that at some point (roughly 6000 years ago), a man and woman did exist who are referred to in the scriptures as Adam and Eve. They weren't the first humans, but they were the first to be created "in God's image, after His likeness." They were the first to have what Christians think of as "a human spirit." I don't believe that God just molded a wad of clay into a man He called Adam, or that Eve was created out of Adam's rib. I suspect there is some truth behind the story of their existence, but it's probably also very much allegorical.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Adam and Eve were not a myth...They were the first settlers in a particular area...and the story is isolated and confined to that area on earth... The fact that it is mention that their child went off to mate with someone else suggest that there were other tiny human settlements. The story is interesting in that it suggests that our planet was seeded by entities not of this planet...It is a remarkable story and not a myth.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:14 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Adam and Eve were not a myth...They were the first settlers in a particular area...and the story is isolated and confined to that area on earth.
Now that's another interesting possibility.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:19 PM

817 posts, read 739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
There's actually another option. If you trace the biblical time-line back to Adam and Eve, it does appear that they supposedly lived some 6000 years ago. In trying to figure out how I personally see the Adam and Eve story, and reconcile it with evolution (and I do believe in both a very old earth and evolution), I've considered the possibility that Adam and Eve were not the first man and woman to live on this earth. We know that human beings (or at least human-like creatures) have existed for hundreds of thousands of years. My feelings are that at some point (roughly 6000 years ago), a man and woman did exist who are referred to in the scriptures as Adam and Eve. They weren't the first humans, but they were the first to be created "in God's image, after His likeness." They were the first to have what Christians think of as "a human spirit." I don't believe that God just molded a wad of clay into a man He called Adam, or that Eve was created out of Adam's rib. I suspect there is some truth behind the story of their existence, but it's probably also very much allegorical.
Yes, that's very possible. I tend to think this way too.

I have also long believed that both Creationism and Evolution could actually both be true. God may have designed and created the "seed of life" but then hit the PLAY button, and allowed other natural forces to come into play. God himself probably continued to interact with his creation along the way too. We can see even in Genesis how God created the plants before the animals, which we know is the way it happened. And He created the animals before man, as Genesis states too (in the chronological account). All of the wonders of the earth seem to have been created in levels and stages.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:23 PM

817 posts, read 739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Adam and Eve were not a myth...They were the first settlers in a particular area...and the story is isolated and confined to that area on earth... The fact that it is mention that their child went off to mate with someone else suggest that there were other tiny human settlements. The story is interesting in that it suggests that our planet was seeded by entities not of this planet...It is a remarkable story and not a myth.
Yep. A distinct possibility.

There are of course, stories handed down from ancient Sumeria that tell of something similar...about how humans were created as hybrids of the Gods (or entities not from this planet) and the primates that were already here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity