Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:39 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yeah, stuff you can actually see, feel, measure, re-assemble and study in all manner of ways with all manner of equipment.

Stuff called "evidence."

I guess they don't teach that in Sunday School.

Right - Sunday School teaches faith along with godly behavior. Our evidence concerning God is not about creation, but about God interacting in our lives.

Supporters of evolution mask their faith in scientific mumbo jumbo. It may make someone feel smarter when aligning themselves with scientists - but when it comes to bones and fossils, you are taking someone else's word by faith and trusting in their methods - and they are just making guesses themselves. They don't know how those bones got there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 02:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Right - Sunday School teaches faith along with godly behavior. Our evidence concerning God is not about creation, but about God interacting in our lives.

Supporters of evolution mask their faith in scientific mumbo jumbo. It may make someone feel smarter when aligning themselves with scientists - but when it comes to bones and fossils, you are taking someone else's word by faith and trusting in their methods - and they are just making guesses themselves. They don't know how those bones got there.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:51 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Horses and water?

Old 07-05-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Horses and water?
That.

And more.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I too believe in "most" of the Bible. I do not believe all of it is God-breathed nor do I believe all of it is "inerrant". But the bottom line is it depends on what we choose to put our faith in. I believe much of the teachings of the Bible have been hijacked by religious terrorists to scare dumb people into following their personal agenda based on bald-faced misrepresentations of scripture.
It's hard to believe - that you believe the Bible - when you continually attempt to highlight defects. How do you reconcile the green and red above? It's a total contradiction.

If you were on the Lord's side - I would think you would let go of these minor issues. IF you were for the Lord - you wouldn't want to cause confusion for believers who may not understand - and you would focus on Christ's death and resurrection.

You say that the Bible has been hi-jacked by religious "terrorists" to scare people into following their agenda. Here's some free advice. Instead of throwing out these "misrepresentations" - why don't you get to the root of the problem, start naming names about who these people are and give us their statements stating their intent - OR - tell us the destructive doctrine and explain why it is dangerous.

Instead of us going on and on about these "misrepresentations" - why don't you just come out and say what these personal agendas are - and who is behind them?

What evil doctrine do you get from Luke's genealogy?

You have sought to discredit Matthew 22:30 - why?

You have a thread on Satan not being evil and being God's secret agent. How does that support the Bible?

You may fool others into thinking that you believe the Bible - but I ain't buying it. The overwhelming evidence from your posts speak pretty clear.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's hard to believe - that you believe the Bible - when you continually attempt to highlight defects. How do you reconcile the green and red above? It's a total contradiction.

If you were on the Lord's side - I would think you would let go of these minor issues. IF you were for the Lord - you wouldn't want to cause confusion for believers who may not understand - and you would focus on Christ's death and resurrection.

You say that the Bible has been hi-jacked by religious "terrorists" to scare people into following their agenda. Here's some free advice. Instead of throwing out these "misrepresentations" - why don't you get to the root of the problem, start naming names about who these people are and give us their statements stating their intent - OR - tell us the destructive doctrine and explain why it is dangerous.

Instead of us going on and on about these "misrepresentations" - why don't you just come out and say what these personal agendas are - and who is behind them?

What evil doctrine do you get from Luke's genealogy?

You have sought to discredit Matthew 22:30 - why?

You have a thread on Satan not being evil and being God's secret agent. How does that support the Bible?

You may fool others into thinking that you believe the Bible - but I ain't buying it. The overwhelming evidence from your posts speak pretty clear.
I, of course, can't speak for thrillobyte, but what I believe he's doing is what my grandparents (farmers) would call "separating the wheat from the chaff."

It's a necessary chore for those whose livelihood depends on grinding good flour.

And a sensible practice for those who seek truth in the bible - but wish to winnow out the fables, lies, exaggerations and primitive superstitions.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:32 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Even Darwin admitted that if the transitional forms, (reptiles to birds) were not found, that his theory would fall apart. What a shock. Transitional forms/ fossils of animals in mid-evolution have not been found. Yes there are lots of extinct species in the fossil records, but no transitional forms, at least any that I'm aware of or have ever heard of.

Even the guy who invented carbon14 dating said it wasn't accurate, I saw a video of him talking about it's issues...

Old 07-06-2013, 07:39 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
Adam and Eve is a myth.

The word myth doesn't mean "not true" however.

Quote:
a : a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon
b : parable, allegory

a : a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society <seduced by the American myth of individualism — Orde Coombs>
b : an unfounded or false notion
Definition 1a and 1b.

A myth is a way to sum up a theory/law in a story. Example, many Coyote stories in the Navajo were actually based off of astronomic events, and the story just served to organize them.

"Why do we live such short meaningless lives?" Possible explanation: because we used to be an awesome species, but we made a series of errors in judgement.

Ooooh, let's make a story about how people had some apple representing knowledge, and they ate it, as an allegory for a race of people who had awesome tech, and abused it, reducing their lifespan.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Even the guy who invented carbon14 dating said it wasn't accurate, I saw a video of him talking about it's issues...
Yes, carbon 14 is one of the less accurate, but earliest and best known methods of dating. This is why more than one method, and more accurate methods are utilized. You know, it would be helpful if people gained some knowledge about what has been and is being done before commenting on it.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:01 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
I, of course, can't speak for thrillobyte, but what I believe he's doing is what my grandparents (farmers) would call "separating the wheat from the chaff."

It's a necessary chore for those whose livelihood depends on grinding good flour.

And a sensible practice for those who seek truth in the bible - but wish to winnow out the fables, lies, exaggerations and primitive superstitions.
You said it perfectly for me, Troutdude. I just wish the people who run corporate organized Christianity would come clean with their "flocks" about the real truth of many of the doctrines, like tithing is mandatory and stop scaring people into towing the line or be condemned to eternal torment. Despicable tactics like these make me sick. If Rob had read my posts like he claims he would have already seen the people I called out as the wolves among the sheep.

I've always said the core message of the Bible about Jesus being God come in the flesh to die for our sins and rise from the dead so we can have eternal life is the most important message ever given to man. But I don't buy this total fabrication that God will condemn 97% of mankind to hell because their freewill usurped God's will. That is total malarky. Scare tactics again.

I my next thread (watch out, some of you) I'm going to show how millions of non-Christians experienced the bliss of God's presence while Christian fundamentalists were sent to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity