Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 PM

889 posts, read 825,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
you missed it so for your edification here is a copy of my post in another thread:
God changed Abram name to Abraham. Saul to Paul and Simon to Peter. All very important and world changing events. The moral of the story is, when God changes Your name, you better pay attention because great things are on their way.

Your interpretation is incorrect. The early church knew that Peter was the head and that Peter ruled from the head of the Holy See, Rome.

Early Church Father Iranaeus of Lyon, ~190AD (Against Heresies, Book III, Chapter 3, Verse 2)

2. Since, however, it would be very tedious, in such a volume as this, to reckon up the successions of all the Churches, we do put to confusion all those who, in whatever manner, whether by an evil self-pleasing, by vainglory, or by blindness and perverse opinion, assemble in unauthorized meetings; [we do this, I say,] by indicating that tradition derived from the apostles, of the very great, the very ancient, and universally known Church founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul; as also [by pointing out] the faith preached to men, which comes down to our time by means of the successions of the bishops. For it is a matter of necessity that every Church should agree with this Church, on account of its preeminent authority, that is, the faithful everywhere, inasmuch as the tradition has been preserved continuously by those [faithful men] who exist everywhere.

Last edited by GoodToBeHome; 06-21-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
That would be true if they had not started off in a wrong direction very early in the history of the institutional church.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, even when it is not one I share

Old 06-21-2013, 10:45 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

When it comes to any Christian denomination, those with the most educated, learned men and women who actually have worked in tandem throughout the centuries to build upon their understanding and interpretation of God's Word are the people more likely to have "the truth". So even though the Catholic Church might not always "get it right", they come closer to the truth than many other religions.

Self-taught preachers - those who get their credentials over the internet or in a 6 week class of study for instance - are more likely to miss a lot of "the truth" because they never really learn how to read the Bible in context.
Which is why pastors from the Lutheran Church (LCMS \ ELS \ WELS) have men who study for 8 yrs before becoming a pastor (4 yrs college \ 4 yrs seminary).

As a theologian said about being able to identify false teaching:
To use an analogy: we grow to recognize the true (biblical) and the false (non-biblical)
much like bank tellers learn to recognize genuine and counterfeit money. They get to know
the genuine or real money better and better. They study and focus on the real so often and
so carefully that when the counterfeit appears, they can more quickly and more efficiently
recognize it. This is a very important starting point. Too often when people say that "It's
simply a matter of interpretation," they are admitting they are clueless about what the Bible
itself says; they have never taken the time or made the personal and serious effort to know
what the Bible itself has declared. Inadequate or inaccurate grasp of Bible messages is
perhaps the primary cause for such diverse "interpretations."

Old 06-21-2013, 11:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Which is why pastors from the Lutheran Church (LCMS \ ELS \ WELS) have men who study for 8 yrs before becoming a pastor (4 yrs college \ 4 yrs seminary).

As a theologian said about being able to identify false teaching:
To use an analogy: we grow to recognize the true (biblical) and the false (non-biblical)
much like bank tellers learn to recognize genuine and counterfeit money. They get to know
the genuine or real money better and better. They study and focus on the real so often and
so carefully that when the counterfeit appears, they can more quickly and more efficiently
recognize it. This is a very important starting point. Too often when people say that "It's
simply a matter of interpretation," they are admitting they are clueless about what the Bible
itself says; they have never taken the time or made the personal and serious effort to know
what the Bible itself has declared. Inadequate or inaccurate grasp of Bible messages is
perhaps the primary cause for such diverse "interpretations."
This is exactly what I was talking about

I have a lot of respect for the Lutheran Church and its learned pastors

Old 06-22-2013, 09:03 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
God changed Abram name to Abraham. Saul to Paul and Simon to Peter. All very important and world changing events. The moral of the story is, when God changes Your name, you better pay attention because great things are on their way.

Your interpretation is incorrect. The early church knew that Peter was the head and that Peter ruled from the head of the Holy See, Rome.
Yes, Peter's confession was a ground breaking event, and the idea (which Jesus told him was not human in origin) is clearly the foundation of the Kingdom which is not of this earth. I have already stated that he Roman bishops started asserting a bogus authority fairly early, so quoting one of their supporters does not have any bearing on the meaning of the verse itself. Would you mind addressing the point i made about how the Greek clearly indicates that the two references to "rock" were about different rocks? Hint: how did Augustine interpret the passage?

Old 06-22-2013, 12:08 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You teach your interpretation of the Bible.

If what you "teach" in your preaching is anything like your posting here, you do a fair bit of MISinterpreting God's Word too.
I challenge you to show me a quote of me teaching something that is incorrect here. Please. Knock yourself out.
Quote:
When it comes to any Christian denomination, those with the most educated, learned men and women who actually have worked in tandem throughout the centuries to build upon their understanding and interpretation of God's Word are the people more likely to have "the truth". So even though the Catholic Church might not always "get it right", they come closer to the truth than many other religions.
It's a crying shame they've abandoned the Bible, though.
Quote:
Self-taught preachers - those who get their credentials over the internet or in a 6 week class of study for instance - are more likely to miss a lot of "the truth" because they never really learn how to read the Bible in context.
I went to an actual seminary. Really. I have a diploma that hangs on my wall from an actual brick and mortar school. I learned from some very smart men and I have studied and continue to study their teachings as I study the Bible. In church on Sunday I preach what the text says--and explain it in context. That is more than I ever heard as a catholic.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:15 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I challenge you to show me a quote of me teaching something that is incorrect here. Please. Knock yourself out.
God hates some people.
Quote:
In church on Sunday I preach what the text says--and explain it in context. That is more than I ever heard as a catholic.
Interesting. As a non-Catholic I have heard some homilies that did just that.....and did it well.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:22 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
I challenge you to show me a quote of me teaching something that is incorrect here. Please. Knock yourself out..
Baptism for starters ...........

Old 06-22-2013, 12:23 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
As a pastor, I am pretty sure I have got it right. Why? Because I can defend my preaching and teaching based solely on the word of God. Now I don't claim I have always been or always will be perfect. But I do keep studying, and working to verify the soundness of my preaching. I also study widely accepted scholars mostly who are long dead, who have been respected to see if what I preach matches up with theirs, and then still compare it to the word of God. So, I'm not afraid to enter any serious theological debate with anyone, as long as they have some soundness to their teaching. With certain people, I don't even bother because they are so off base, and can't read simple Engish, or have no respect for the word of God that I don't even bother to waste my time or theirs.

But I don't agonize over perfect. I'm sure I've made mistakes. But the basis of my salvation is not based on my works, but on the grace of God given to me and all who believe in Jesus Christ.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:37 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
As a pastor, I am pretty sure I have got it right. Why? Because I can defend my preaching and teaching based solely on the word of God. Now I don't claim I have always been or always will be perfect. But I do keep studying, and working to verify the soundness of my preaching. I also study widely accepted scholars mostly who are long dead, who have been respected to see if what I preach matches up with theirs, and then still compare it to the word of God. So, I'm not afraid to enter any serious theological debate with anyone, as long as they have some soundness to their teaching. With certain people, I don't even bother because they are so off base, and can't read simple Engish, or have no respect for the word of God that I don't even bother to waste my time or theirs.

But I don't agonize over perfect. I'm sure I've made mistakes. But the basis of my salvation is not based on my works, but on the grace of God given to me and all who believe in Jesus Christ.
Mistakes in what you believed to be the truth, only to find that you were wrong ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity