Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:25 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The reason I said I didn't bring it up, is that its like lots of issues, but the Christian church is not for getting involved in politics. You'll notice that Jesus did not get into the politics of the Romans etc. Its not our job to tell the government how to govern, or what laws should be passed or how people should be taxed. Govt. is always unfair to someone, shows preferences for one group over another. There is always injustice. It's not just slavery of the blacks and segregation. Its also racial preferences for minorities in some cases, mistreatment of the Indians, the list is endless. Jesus did not come to save this world but to save the world and make justice reign in all nations. He came to save those who believe from the judgment that will fall upon it. I've taught on the parable of the Good Samaritan many times. I taught on the Old Testament this past Sunday. I don't change all my sermons based on world events. Next month, this case will be yesterday's newspapers.

Moderator cut: delete
I just noticed you're from Texas that explains alot.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-18-2013 at 07:30 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 02:39 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
The reason I said I didn't bring it up, is that its like lots of issues, but the Christian church is not for getting involved in politics. You'll notice that Jesus did not get into the politics of the Romans etc. Its not our job to tell the government how to govern, or what laws should be passed or how people should be taxed. Govt. is always unfair to someone, shows preferences for one group over another. There is always injustice. It's not just slavery of the blacks and segregation. Its also racial preferences for minorities in some cases, mistreatment of the Indians, the list is endless. Jesus did not come to save this world but to save the world and make justice reign in all nations. He came to save those who believe from the judgment that will fall upon it. I've taught on the parable of the Good Samaritan many times. I taught on the Old Testament this past Sunday. I don't change all my sermons based on world events. Next month, this case will be yesterday's newspapers. [mod]delete]/mod].
Moderator cut: orphaned I wish pastors or priests would connect the sermons to what is happening today--to show the congregation HOW to apply what the bible teaches us

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-18-2013 at 07:32 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 09:00 AM

People like Sr.Meagan Rice, Michael Walli, Martin L. King and many more are modern day Prophets and Saints, they are like John the Baptist a voice calling out in the wilderness to repent and turn from the evil ways of the Empire.

In fact all three plowshare members that were arrested for trespassing ta Oak Ridge remain in prison while they await trial.
In keeping with Matthew Mat 25:36 I was naked, and you gave Me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for Me. I was in prison, and you visited Me.’

Please write to them

http://transformnowplowshares.wordpr...n-and-michael/

Last edited by ted08721; 07-16-2013 at 09:14 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
The reason I said I didn't bring it up, is that its like lots of issues, but the Christian church is not for getting involved in politics.
Were it not for Pope John Paul II standing up against the Kremlin the Iron Curtain would probably still be in place. MILLIONS of people can now worship God freely and openly because JPII took a stand.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
This is not a good look for a church...

It is Chicago... and being that we are killing ourselves at a fast pace in that city - well I guess they speak from experience.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Yes. My pastor said Zimmerman had better find a good chiropractor because he was going to be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life. Oddly enough, the scripture for his sermon that morning was Isaiah 10:27

Quote:
And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing
I did a double-take on that last word because for a moment I thought the pastor had said, "...and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the shooting."

Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
It was mentioned in the homily at Mass at my church today, my pastor brought it up when he was talking about today's Gospel reading of the Good Samaritan.
He was saying how the Good Samaritan was about Jesus calling to love one and another.
He asked if we still have exceptions on who we love and care for because of the color of their skin, the language they speak, where they are from etc.
No, we talked about Mark 2.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, we talked about Mark 2.
The Gospel readings are only incidental, btw the scripture readings in a Catholic Church are predetermined way in advance and are the same in all Catholic Churches, there are certain cycles of scripture readings within the Catholic Church.
The priest does not necessarily have to give his homily directly on the Gospel reading of that day although he usually does.
The point is did your priest or minister mention anything related to what had occurred and how we as Christians still harbor prejudices towards people that are different than us.
My pastors homily did not dwell on this issue but he did mention it as an example, it was only one sentence in his whole homily but a very profound one and I think that was all that was needed.
Our priests are instructed not to be political by the bishop, but it is a very fine line between being political and preaching the Gospel.
It amazes me that it is ok to say at Mass "Thou shall not kill" but it is not ok to say "Thou shall not go to war and kill."
Even at this forum how many times has a thread been locked down over the same issue.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:04 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
The Gospel readings are only incidental, btw the scripture readings in a Catholic Church are predetermined way in advance and are the same in all Catholic Churches, there are certain cycles of scripture readings within the Catholic Church.
The priest does not necessarily have to give his homily directly on the Gospel reading of that day although he usually does.
The point is did your priest or minister mention anything related to what had occurred and how we as Christians still harbor prejudices towards people that are different than us.
My pastors homily did not dwell on this issue but he did mention it as an example, it was only one sentence in his whole homily but a very profound one and I think that was all that was needed.
Our priests are instructed not to be political by the bishop, but it is a very fine line between being political and preaching the Gospel.
It amazes me that it is ok to say at Mass "Thou shall not kill" but it is not ok to say "Thou shall not go to war and kill."
Even at this forum how many times has a thread been locked down over the same issue.
No, he did not mention it at all, and I am not Catholic. I stay a away from politically active churches.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
It amazes me that it is ok to say at Mass "Thou shall not kill" but it is not ok to say "Thou shall not go to war and kill.".
Probably it amazes you because "Thou shalt not kill" is speaking to murder unjustly and God gives every right to people to defend them self which may result in the ultimate action of lethal defense, not to mention God says there is a time for everything which includes nations going to war.

And if anybody who watched this trial beyond making sure Zimmerman gets convicted would have heard that according to the law even though person "a" may initiate a non-lethal confrontation with "X" force \ provocation
... and person "b" reciprocates with greater "XX" force \ provocation (which includes verbal that threatens the life of person "a" )

... person "b" is then considered the aggressor and at fault

... allowing person "a" to use any force deemed neccesary at the time to stop the aggressor

... which means if guns were never invented, person "a" would have utilized a greater neutralizing object than person "b" if "a" intends to be self preserving.
Now people may not like the law for what ever reason, but that was what the judical system verdict resulted in.

Last edited by twin.spin; 07-17-2013 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity