Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:53 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think it prevents many a highly capable person from serving. In turn I think that creates a chronic shortage of priests which makes the church far less likely to defrock a priest in the event of misconduct. I mean, if a clergyman committed those outrages in a Protestant or Anglican church, the response would have been swift and unequivocal. I know this, because I've seen various denominations respond when even a whiff of scandal arises regarding one of their clergy. Meanwhile, the Catholic would give the offending priest a stern talking-to, perhaps some counseling, and then ship him off to an unsuspecting parish.

Further, priestly celibacy was not even required in the early church. For example, in Paul's letter to Timothy, he clearly states that a priest or bishop should only have one wife -- and he wasn't speaking figuratively.

Personally, I also believe that a celibate priest has little real authority or insight in counseling his flock on the subject of family life, given that he has no chance of having one himself. It would be the akin of a tenured economics professor lacking real-world experience telling me how to run my company. At least with married clergy, they totally get what it's like to be married and raising children.

In fact, the Catholic church didn't require priestly celibacy until two lateran councils in the 11th century settled the matter for good. So the Catholic Church allowed married priests for the first 50% of its existence. Why not allow it now?

I agree. Even Peter was married. The Bible mentions about Jesus healing Peter's wife's mother, so obviously he was married (Mt. 8:14).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 04:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I think if the Roman Catholic priests to marry, it would drastically reduce incidents of molestation of boys by priests. There is only one case among Episcopalian priests and none among Orthodox priests that
I 've heard about. Episcopals allow priests to marry and the Orthodox churches make celibacy optional.
That sounds absolutely ridiculous to me...crazy...that's like saying any man who's not married might not be able to resist molesting little boys...really?..doesn't matter what their denomination, there can be NO reason or excuse for hurting a little one, other than that you are evil!!!

Old 07-14-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Do you believe celibacy causes pedophilia?
I'm not saying that at all, but I think it could help if one were married. I know this is an anecdotal postulate that I made, and I'd like to see if there were any studies made related to the issue. People used to really fear that gay teachers would molest boys from their classes. I don't believe that. It is more likely for a married man to do that. However, it is a bit unnatural not to have sex for the whole of one's life.

I wanted to get people's feedback.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I'm not saying that at all, but I think it could help if one were married. I know this is an anecdotal postulate that I made, and I'd like to see if there were any studies made related to the issue. People used to really fear that gay teachers would molest boys from their classes. I don't believe that. It is more likely for a married man to do that. However, it is a bit unnatural not to have sex for the whole of one's life.

I wanted to get people's feedback.
Being married would help stop pedophiles from molesting children?? Come on now!

Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Among the clergy class in the world, it is well known that homosexuality is quite prevalent in the Roman Catholic clergy. Rome's ban on priestly marriage is totally against scripture. Most people have natural urges toward sex mating etc. If people do not have an outlet for these feelings, they bottle them up, but it doesn't work. Its going to manifest itself in some way. God already knows this. Allowing priests to marry would clear up a lot of their problems, but it will never happen. Rome would admitting that their teaching on this has been wrong for well over 500 years.

1Co 7:2 But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.

1Co 7:9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn.

1Ti 4:1 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.1Ti 4:2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 1Ti 4:3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.

1Ti 3:2 Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,
Very good post! I don't agree with you on much of anything, but I do on this.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:19 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Do you believe celibacy causes pedophilia?
I think it causes them to look for any sexual release.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:21 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So the true scandal was the institutional failure of the Catholic Church to stop one of the most unspeakable evils of all.
No, I agree with you on that. In fact, I stated so in my last post. But allowing priests to marry (or not) has nothing to do with this issue.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:26 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Being married doesn't stop men from sexually abusing children - either boys or girls. In fact most child sexual abuse is perpetrated within families by a father, uncle, grandfather, brother, step-father, etc.

According to all the research from the past 60 years, the profile of the majority of child molesters (of either boys or girls) is male, heterosexual, married and religious. BTW, only a small percentage (approx. 7% according to one of the largest studies of over 4000 child molesters) are true pedophiles who have no attraction to adults and are only attracted to children.

The Abel and Harlow Child Molestation prevention study (2001)

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog33994-research-child-molestation.html

Here is the John Jay College of Criminal Justice report into child abuse in the Catholic Church:

http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-acti...-1950-2010.pdf

Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Being married would help stop pedophiles from molesting children?? Come on now!
Not all pedophiles, but it could, I said, help - by channeling sexual urges in a proper direction. Also, maybe you should consider the possibility that the priesthood could draw pedophiles or men with pedophile tendencies to it. It would give them a cloak to hide behind (not being married in our society) and ready access to altar boys.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Being married doesn't stop men from sexually abusing children - either boys or girls. In fact most child sexual abuse is perpetrated within families by a father, uncle, grandfather, brother, step-father, etc.

According to all the research from the past 60 years, the profile of the majority of child molesters (of either boys or girls) is male, heterosexual, married and religious. BTW, only a small percentage (approx. 7% according to one of the largest studies of over 4000 child molesters) are true pedophiles who have no attraction to adults and are only attracted to children.

The Abel and Harlow Child Molestation prevention study (2001)

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog33994-research-child-molestation.html

Here is the John Jay College of Criminal Justice report into child abuse in the Catholic Church:

http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-acti...-1950-2010.pdf

There you go again - muddying the waters of ignorance with facts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity