Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:55 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,784,420 times

Advertisements

I think the New Testament is the best way to go, as it deals directly with the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Depending on which translation you have (NIV, KJV, etc), the words and syntex may or may not pose a problem. I know that for me, personally, although I enjoy the sound of the wording in the KJV editions, it's difficult for me to understand. So, I've had an NIV that I've used for several years.

I also think that, while it's wonderful to focus on the New Testament, please don't forget about the Old Testament. It's filled with so much history and important thoughts/laws of the Lord that I think sometimes, it's easy to overlook it in favor of focusing on the New Testament.

Being in a Bible study group, or having a daily devotional (eg. Our Daily Bread, etc) can also be useful for daily mediation as well.

I pray that the advice you receive on this thread will be a blessing to you and will help guide you towards the best decision for you.

I think that, regardless of whatever version of the Bible you choose, whatever book of the Bible you begin with, it's always great to say "Dear Lord, I want to grow closer to you today. I want to know your Word, and I want to understand it. Please forgive me of my sins. Give me an open heart today, and help me to learn what You want me to learn. Bless me in the reading of your Word today. Open my spiritual eyes that I may see, and speak to my heart, that I may hear. In Jesus's name, Amen."

I wish you all the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 06:14 PM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
How can you say that when you don't trust the Bible?
Another one repeating the lies!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I never said I do not trust the bible. I said I believe upon and trust Jesus Christ. I will remind you again scripture is not the truth it is a means to the end. The end being Christ.
None of us has ever said that, pcamps. That doesn't seem to stop them from claiming we did. It is more than a little frustrating. It makes you believe in the atheist's accusation that they believe it is OK to lie for Jesus!!! Disagreeing with us is not a problem . . . lying about us and misrepresenting what we believe is just evil. I cannot believe Christ would acknowledge anyone who repeatedly did that. I can understand why accusing the brethren and false witness are sins.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:28 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,984,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
When I was a child, I read a Children's version of the Bible (mainly for the stories) but I have forgot much of what I learnt from reading it then. I can read decently, but I disagree with the viewpoint that the King James version is the only acceptable version of the Bible. I feel a linguistics expert would be able to easily follow it, but a modern reader such as my self can not. I struggle with Shakespeare, and I can't imagine that the KJV would be any less confusing. What is a good version of the Bible for a modern reader?
I feel like I am losing some connection to Jesus, because although I am praying, I don't know the full story of who I'm praying to. I feel that reading the Bible could help me increase my faith and build a stronger connection to Him. What is the best version of the Bible for a modern reader, and I do I go about it without misinterpreting what I'm reading? I enjoy to church partially for this reason, but no preacher is going to read the whole Bible, cover to cover for us.
First of all, Jesus' words at Luke [ 11 v 13 B ] is to first pray. Pray for guidance from God's holy spirit before reading.
Please also notice Acts [ 8 vs 30-35 ] because the Ethiopian official did not understand what he was reading.
Philip, who was already a follower of Jesus, had Bible knowledge so he could help him understand what he was reading.
Also, the Bible is not written ABC like a dictionary so it needs to be searched, or researched, by subject or topic arrangement. Comparing parallel passages and verses. The people of Acts [ 17 vs 11,27 ] searched through the Scriptures each day to see if what they were learning was found in Scripture or what the Bible really teaches.
A reference study Bible, and a comprehensive Bible concordance, can serve as a quick locator of Scriptures by subjects or by topics.
The Bible in modern English can be read on line at www.jw.org.
When I first started to read the Bible I started by reading the smallest books so that took me to the ones toward the Bible's end such as: 1st John, 2nd John, 3rd John and Jude and James.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:33 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,338,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Another one repeating the lies!!!!

None of us has ever said that, pcamps. That doesn't seem to stop them from claiming we did. It is more than a little frustrating. It makes you believe in the atheist's accusation that they believe it is OK to lie for Jesus!!! Disagreeing with us is not a problem . . . lying about us and misrepresenting what we believe is just evil. I cannot believe Christ would acknowledge anyone who repeatedly did that. I can understand why accusing the brethren and false witness are sins.
Yes of cause they know this. They follow the bible not Jesus Christ, and so their comments are to be expected.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,564,756 times
Quote:
Yes of cause they know this. They follow the bible not Jesus Christ, and so their comments are to be expected.
Question: where do you get your information about Jesus? If not the Bible then where?

Spirits who talk to you? Opinions of men/women? So tell me. You say scripture speaks of Jesus, yet you don't trust scripture. I notice that you use the small b when referring to the Bible. The same way atheists refer to God...using the small g.

Can you tell me why?

My information about Jesus is contained in Scripture aka the Bible. And you?

(I don't think this tread belongs in the Christian forum-R&P, yes)

Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 PM

670 posts, read 816,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
When I was a child, I read a Children's version of the Bible (mainly for the stories) but I have forgot much of what I learnt from reading it then. I can read decently, but I disagree with the viewpoint that the King James version is the only acceptable version of the Bible. I feel a linguistics expert would be able to easily follow it, but a modern reader such as my self can not. I struggle with Shakespeare, and I can't imagine that the KJV would be any less confusing. What is a good version of the Bible for a modern reader?
I feel like I am losing some connection to Jesus, because although I am praying, I don't know the full story of who I'm praying to. I feel that reading the Bible could help me increase my faith and build a stronger connection to Him. What is the best version of the Bible for a modern reader, and I do I go about it without misinterpreting what I'm reading? I enjoy to church partially for this reason, but no preacher is going to read the whole Bible, cover to cover for us.
There are a lot of translation errors in the KJV, the best English version of the Bible I have encountered is the NIV.

However to fully understand the Old Testament you need to know Hebrew and read it in it's original language as a lot of words don't translate properly or have more meaning than our words.

I would also suggest learning the languages that the N.T. was written in as some translators will take the liberty of imposing what they think a scripture means rather than actually knowing what it means.

Also the Torah(First 5 books of the Bible) are only a small part of what is needed to understand it.
There is also the Oral Torah which Jews Possess and this allows Jews to understand the Torah. Christians lack this however and so most Christians don't fully understand their Old Testament as they should thus why a lot of Christians mistakenly believe in blood sacrifice as the only means to atonement.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Question: where do you get your information about Jesus? If not the Bible then where?

Spirits who talk to you? Opinions of men/women? So tell me. You say scripture speaks of Jesus, yet you don't trust scripture. I notice that you use the small b when referring to the Bible. The same way atheists refer to God...using the small g.

Can you tell me why?

My information about Jesus is contained in Scripture aka the Bible. And you?

(I don't think this tread belongs in the Christian forum-R&P, yes)
You're still having a hard time understanding that scripture points us to know Jesus Christ aren't you. I do believe you know the bible 100% but do not know the one it testifies of, if you did you would understand what I am saying, but obviously you don't.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 PM

73 posts, read 109,120 times
Start at the beginning. Would you start a book in the middle and expect to know all of the people and know how they interact?

Let's read some scriptures.....

Deut.8
[3] And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

And again.....

Matt.4
[4] But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

God commands that man live by ALL of His words.....not only those found in the NT!

Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Would you like to try to leave the "us vs them" mentality and the judgment of other people's faith out of it ? It gets a little old when you come into every thread to tell people what they believe in.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Would you like to try to leave the "us vs them" mentality and the judgment of other people's faith out of it ? It gets a little old when you come into every thread to tell people what they believe in.
You mean like universal salvation is not of God, its of the devil, they all believe the bible is written by savages, they quote the bible they don't believe in ?. I don't associate myself with any belief so your us v them is something of your own imagination. I chose a long while ago to walk set apart from any fixed belief system, I just happen to believe in something you oppose, and it offends you. Great peace have they that love your law and nothing shall offend them.

Are you a follower of the bible or Jesus Christ ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity