Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 12:11 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Sorry ... I had to change "Pay" into "Pray" ..
Thanks for the Editing Services. Check is in the mail...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 12:57 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
When I was a child, I read a Children's version of the Bible (mainly for the stories) but I have forgot much of what I learnt from reading it then. I can read decently, but I disagree with the viewpoint that the King James version is the only acceptable version of the Bible. I feel a linguistics expert would be able to easily follow it, but a modern reader such as my self can not. I struggle with Shakespeare, and I can't imagine that the KJV would be any less confusing. What is a good version of the Bible for a modern reader?
I feel like I am losing some connection to Jesus, because although I am praying, I don't know the full story of who I'm praying to. I feel that reading the Bible could help me increase my faith and build a stronger connection to Him. What is the best version of the Bible for a modern reader, and I do I go about it without misinterpreting what I'm reading? I enjoy to church partially for this reason, but no preacher is going to read the whole Bible, cover to cover for us.

Yours is an interesting and honest thread and, like others, I certainly want to encourage you to seek Christ in/through the Bible. Your best bet is probably to start with the Gospel of John ... (perhaps a New Living Translation, New American Standard or New International Version). But, even more important that "reading the story" is keeping in mind WHY you are reading. An open heart and a genuine relationship with Christ is essential to 'understanding' -- and far more important than the translation you are reading. Without that "the things of God will remain foolishness" (I Cor 2:14-15).

I am a strong, persistent advocate of testing everything one thinks or believes against 'Bible truth.' However, the biggest part of "knowing the truth", is knowing Jesus Christ, who is "the way, the truth and the life." The Gospel of John, along with other books, demand that you make a decision about WHO Jesus Christ is, before you can even establish a frame-of-reference for how you will approach that Gospel or the rest of the story/book (below). [Similarly, Genesis does this in the OT: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" ... takes all the guesswork out of the authority and nature of what this book claims to be; and forces you from page 1 to decide whether you will approach the book as a fable, God's truth or religious doctrine.

JOHN 1:1-14: 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend[a] it.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.[b]

10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own,[c] and His own[d] did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

Your thinking will likely change as a result of reading the Bible, but, your approach and attitude will largely determine what you get out of it! (Is the Bible just an old book; ... Is Jesus just a 'great man, prophet or teacher,' ... Your attitude 'going in' will largely color how you read and understand the rest of the Bible.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:04 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The best way to read the scriptures for the first time is with an open heart, leaving your preconceived ideas about God outside your door.Understand before hand that scripture testifies of Jesus Christ and He not the bible is The Truth. So it is Jesus Christ who you need to discover in it while you are reading it. I would recommend reading 1 Corinthians 13, then read the sermon on the mount. Good luck, you are obviously seeking and scriptures says if seek we will find, I hope you find him of who Moses and the prophets spoke of in the scriptures, then a reality in your own life.

Colossians 1:27 To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
^THIS.......even before starting to read for information, get a clear idea of what you are looking for.

Great advice from pcamps.........why am I not surprised?

Old 07-19-2013, 05:57 PM

796 posts, read 858,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Sorry ... I had to change "Pay" into "Pray" ..
I had started a word study to see if I had missed something!

Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 PM

796 posts, read 858,919 times
As to which version is a good one to start with I will share my experience. I too struggled with the old english of the KJV most of my life. It was one of the reasons I never read it through or even on a daily basis at the time. Someone gave me an NIV study bible back in the 90's and I read it cover to cover. It was the translation that got me into God's word and opened my heart to what God had written down for me!

Today I use the KJV for study, preaching and teaching. I like the HCSB version very much as well. The main thing you must learn to ever understand the scripture is you must know to whom the part you are reading is written and to whom it applies. All of God's word is for us but not all of God's word is about us!

God bless and always pray for understanding as you study the wonderful word of God that He has sent to you!

Old 07-19-2013, 06:38 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
What is the best way to approach reading the Bible for the first time?

Understand that it was written by Men.
Use the just scales of common sense.
And evaluate everything from a position of love.

Love and hate cannot cohabitate.
For Life and death are opposites.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 PM

299 posts, read 545,795 times
I had a King James version, very hard to make myself read it, was young. In my late 20s my sister bought me a para phrased version. I know you are not supposed to read from cover to cover, I have done it many times. I highlight some things so I can find them easily. I made notes to type up, putting people and events into a chronological order, refer to it frequently. That helps me to understand what was happening from Adam and Eve forward.

One thing I could not understand until reading the Bible (a chapter daily for 5 yrs) is what's the big deal about Queen Elizabeth and her family. I laughed at myself, completely missed the fact that the Queen is a descendent of King David. In my typed notes I can refer to the peoples descended from Noah's sons-- helps to clarify some things as to present world affairs. Each time through I learn more that I did not retain before.

I could not understand why the Muslims hated the rest of the world and particularly the Jews. I read in the Bible that there was a king in Bible times that God put the idea into his head that God wanted the Muslims to rule the world. Also has to do with Ismael being Abram's 1st born and the logic that his descendents should have inherited the land given to Jacob's descendents.

Hope I am understanding what I read correctly.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:21 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The best way to read the scriptures for the first time is with an open heart, leaving your preconceived ideas about God outside your door.Understand before hand that scripture testifies of Jesus Christ and He not the bible is The Truth. So it is Jesus Christ who you need to discover in it while you are reading it. I would recommend reading 1 Corinthians 13, then read the sermon on the mount. Good luck, you are obviously seeking and scriptures says if seek we will find, I hope you find him of who Moses and the prophets spoke of in the scriptures, then a reality in your own life.
Colossians 1:27 To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
This is great advice because reading 1 Corinthians 13 and the Sermon on the mount will help you to know Jesus Christ. When you know Jesus . . . you will Know God. Then read everything else with the "mind of Christ." Whatever is not compatible or consistent with what you know about Jesus . . . is NOT true of God, period. This is the way you properly divide the scriptures. Jesus is the standard of TRUTH.
!

Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Default What is the best way to approach reading the Bible for the first time?

The same way you'd approach any work of fiction.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:39 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
The same way you'd approach any work of fiction.
You may not agree with the divine attributions made about the Bible . . . but it was definitely NOT a work of fiction. This kind of vain arrogance toward what you disagree with reflects more poorly on you than on the Bible and those who consider it valuable reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity