Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you keep the Sabbath?
Yes 6 42.86%
No 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 01:59 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

I do my best to keep the Sabbath (which, for me, is on Sunday). The way I look at it, God has asked us to make one day distinctly His, to set aside our more mundane secular activities and to participate in those things that will make this one day a week different from all the rest. That is not to say that we should not be living lives dedicated to Him throughout the rest of the week, but the commandment to keep one day holy was given and never rescinded. I figure there's a good reason for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 06:44 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
I don't know all the rules for Sabbath keeping, but it is very hard for those who do. you can only walk so much, and do so much. Not me. I like to rest every night when I sleep.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The Sabbath keeps me.

The life of the believer is one of resting in His finished work. (Heb 4)
Well, said. I agree. Christ is our Sabbath Rest.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:02 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Its to hard to do absolutely nothing all day long, after church. I know many that keep the Sabbath and after they get home form Church they will go to sleep until the Sun goes down....I only live once, I can sleep when Im dead.
You don't like sleep? I thought it was right up there with food and sex among the pleasures most humans enjoy. I can't sleep on any schedule - it is probably going to shorten my life.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
You don't like sleep? I thought it was right up there with food and sex among the pleasures most humans enjoy. I can't sleep on any schedule - it is probably going to shorten my life.
Sleeping from 4pm-9pm on a Saturday until the sun goes down is lame. I kinda feel they are missing the whole point of the Sabbath when you literally wait until the sun goes down in order to have any fun.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
after the sun goes down, that is when the party starts. so people just rest in order to be ready for the club and dancing.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschmidt View Post
I am curious to know if Christians keep the Sabbath. The Sabbath can be any day of the week, but you must not work on the Sabbath.
CHAPTER XV.--THE FALSE AND THE TRUE SABBATH.

Further, also, it is written concerning the Sabbath in the Decalogue which [the Lord] spoke, face to face, to Moses on Mount Sinai, "And sanctify ye the Sabbath of the Lord with clean hands and a pure heart." And He says in another place, "If my sons keep the Sabbath, then will I cause my mercy to rest upon them." The Sabbath is mentioned at the beginning of the creation [thus]: "And God made in six days the works of His hands, and made an end on the seventh day, and rested on it, and sanctified it." Attend, my children, to the meaning of this expression, "He finished in six days." This implieth that the Lord will finish all things in six thousand years, for a day is with Him a thousand years. And He Himself testifieth, saying, "Behold, to-day will be as a thousand years." Therefore, my children, in six days, that is, in six thousand years, all things will be finished. "And He rested on the seventh day." This meaneth: when His Son, coming [again], shall destroy the time of the wicked man, and judge the ungodly, and change the-sun, and the moon, and the stars, then shall He truly rest on the seventh day. Moreover, He says, "Thou shalt sanctify it with pure hands and a pure heart." If, therefore, any one can now sanctify the day which God hath sanctified, except he is pure in heart in all things, we are deceived. Behold, therefore: certainly then one properly resting sanctifies it, when we ourselves, having received the promise, wickedness no longer existing, and all things having been made new by the Lord, shall be able to work righteousness. Then we shall be able to sanctify it, having been first sanctified ourselves. Further, He says to them, "Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure." Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens.

The Epistle of Barnabas (translation Roberts-Donaldson)

Old 08-15-2013, 09:42 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
CHAPTER XV.--THE FALSE AND THE TRUE SABBATH.

Further, also, it is written concerning the Sabbath in the Decalogue which [the Lord] spoke, face to face, to Moses on Mount Sinai, "And sanctify ye the Sabbath of the Lord with clean hands and a pure heart." And He says in another place, "If my sons keep the Sabbath, then will I cause my mercy to rest upon them." The Sabbath is mentioned at the beginning of the creation [thus]: "And God made in six days the works of His hands, and made an end on the seventh day, and rested on it, and sanctified it." Attend, my children, to the meaning of this expression, "He finished in six days." This implieth that the Lord will finish all things in six thousand years, for a day is with Him a thousand years. And He Himself testifieth, saying, "Behold, to-day will be as a thousand years." Therefore, my children, in six days, that is, in six thousand years, all things will be finished. "And He rested on the seventh day." This meaneth: when His Son, coming [again], shall destroy the time of the wicked man, and judge the ungodly, and change the-sun, and the moon, and the stars, then shall He truly rest on the seventh day. Moreover, He says, "Thou shalt sanctify it with pure hands and a pure heart." If, therefore, any one can now sanctify the day which God hath sanctified, except he is pure in heart in all things, we are deceived. Behold, therefore: certainly then one properly resting sanctifies it, when we ourselves, having received the promise, wickedness no longer existing, and all things having been made new by the Lord, shall be able to work righteousness. Then we shall be able to sanctify it, having been first sanctified ourselves. Further, He says to them, "Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure." Ye perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. And when He had manifested Himself, He ascended into the heavens.

The Epistle of Barnabas (translation Roberts-Donaldson)

I like the Epistle of Barnabas as well, but when I show that, many people say its not in our current bibles, even-though it was in the original bible but taken out, or the common you are going to listen to Barnabas over Jesus.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I like the Epistle of Barnabas as well, but when I show that, many people say its not in our current bibles, even-though it was in the original bible but taken out, or the common you are going to listen to Barnabas over Jesus.
Yes, I finally found someone else on this forum that realizes that. It was in the original manuscripts as obviously accepted in the early Christian era.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 PM

670 posts, read 815,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschmidt View Post
I am curious to know if Christians keep the Sabbath. The Sabbath can be any day of the week, but you must not work on the Sabbath.
I keep the Sabbath.
Its important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity