Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times

Advertisements

I have a theological question about Job.

In Job 1:1, it says "There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God and eschewed evil." (KJV) (Some translations use "blameless" instead of "perfect."

I interpret this introductory passage to indicate that Job was righteous. Perfect is a strong word, and only Christ as Son of God was truly perfect or blameless.

Yet, it seems to me that maybe Job was not so perfect after all, and struggled with sin through fleshly desire. Not necessarily for substance, wealth, etc, but through the fleshly desire for comfort. I feel that is why after he loses his substance, and his family, he is in deep anguish through Chapter 6.

Then in Chapter 7, he begins speaking as if he is talking about a spiritual warfare in himself, how trial by God is meant to bring an end to his flesh, for living his life for himself. Particularly, I see Job 7:15 "So that my soul chooseth strangling, and death rather than my life."

I see a picture of Jesus here. How Jesus died for our sins and selfish desires of the body, and directs us to live righteously and not for ourselves.

So if Job were really perfect to start this chapter, I do not really see why God would bring him to the end of himself (to the end of his fleshly desires) and try to kill off whatever remnants of selfishness may have existed in him.

So although he may have been very righteous, and I hear him held up as an example of a very righteous and faithful servant of God, I see that he too struggled with sin and self more than those using him as an example seem to ever really state or show.

Am I on track with something here? Or out in left field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 01:03 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,227 times
The book of Job is an allegory. Job did not exist. The book was written to illustrate a point. In real life God would never be so cruel. In fact, God is incapable of doing what he supposedly did in the book of Job.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,487,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I have a theological question about Job.

In Job 1:1, it says "There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God and eschewed evil." (KJV) (Some translations use "blameless" instead of "perfect."

I interpret this introductory passage to indicate that Job was righteous. Perfect is a strong word, and only Christ as Son of God was truly perfect or blameless.

Yet, it seems to me that maybe Job was not so perfect after all, and struggled with sin through fleshly desire. Not necessarily for substance, wealth, etc, but through the fleshly desire for comfort. I feel that is why after he loses his substance, and his family, he is in deep anguish through Chapter 6.

Then in Chapter 7, he begins speaking as if he is talking about a spiritual warfare in himself, how trial by God is meant to bring an end to his flesh, for living his life for himself. Particularly, I see Job 7:15 "So that my soul chooseth strangling, and death rather than my life."

I see a picture of Jesus here. How Jesus died for our sins and selfish desires of the body, and directs us to live righteously and not for ourselves.

So if Job were really perfect to start this chapter, I do not really see why God would bring him to the end of himself (to the end of his fleshly desires) and try to kill off whatever remnants of selfishness may have existed in him.

So although he may have been very righteous, and I hear him held up as an example of a very righteous and faithful servant of God, I see that he too struggled with sin and self more than those using him as an example seem to ever really state or show.

Because you correctly noticed that Job was
  • " that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God and eschewed evil."
and yet
  • Yet, it seems to me that maybe Job was not so perfect after all, and struggled with sin through fleshly desire.
indicates what it is that makes a person perfect and upright.
Galatians 3:11
Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, “The righteous will live by faith.”

Romans 10:10
For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Think of the meaning of justified as this: ... just-if-i'ed never sinned.
Job was declared justified by the grace of God by faith, not based on anything else.

What makes the believer perfect ..........

Hebrews 10:14
by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

Hebrews 12:23
You have come to God, the judge of all men, to the spirits of righteous men made perfect,

Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

Don't mistake anguish and struggle for sin.

Jesus asked for the cup of wrath to be taken from him. He had struggles of His life's path also.

God declared Job's response as right in the last chapter.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:30 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
As Julian points out, Job is not supposed to be taken as a true story. I think my priest said it welll recently when he described the book of Job as a story about how bad things can and do happen to good people. A somewhat simplified explanation, but accurate.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM

461 posts, read 480,575 times
Man must learn what makes Him perfect to God.In the book of John Jesus tells the Father what makes His disciples perfect.Those who have ears will hear what the spirit says. Remember these words from the Lord;

"The Lord redeems the life of his servants; none of those who take refuge in him incurs guilt".

Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord. Blessed are those who keep his decrees, who seek him with their whole heart, 3 who do no wrong, but walk in his ways".

For the word of the Lord is upright, and all his works are truthful. He loves justice and right;

(JN) "I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be One, as we are One, I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as One, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me.

"You must be made perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect".

Old 01-27-2012, 03:43 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,962,071 times
Job actually existed and he was blameless in relation to the rest of mankind.

Job is a type of Christ. Christ too was blameless yet suffered at God's hand.

Ezekiel and James both write about Job as a literal, historical person.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:51 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As Julian points out, Job is not supposed to be taken as a true story. I think my priest said it welll recently when he described the book of Job as a story about how bad things can and do happen to good people. A somewhat simplified explanation, but accurate.

Why presume that the happenings of Job is not a true occurrence?

Other biblical writers refer to Job as a real person. Ezekiel refers to Job along with Noah and Daniel (Ezekiel 14:14,20). And James draws upon the example of Job to comfort the suffering, proving the point that God is merciful. He commends the endurance of Job (James 5:11).

Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Job is a type of Christ. Christ too was blameless yet suffered at God's hand.

Ezekiel and James both write about Job as a literal, historical person.

You had not posted this when I was posting.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:05 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Christ too was blameless yet suffered at God's hand.
Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity