Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 PM

535 posts, read 967,293 times

Advertisements

One of my son-in-laws asked if I'd do some research on the SDA and RCC for him regarding the Sunday Sabbath. I found these two recent stories, both on SDA websites.

Story One & Video
“A global law is coming to make Sunday the day of rest and I’m going to order that it’s approved!” Pope Francis said this to his Adventist older brother, according to Argentinian Pastor Hugo Gambetta. El Evangelio Esterno, who produced the video, claims to be an independent Adventist ministry led by Gambetta which focuses on last-day events. A spokesperson for the ministry recently confirmed that the Revelation Seminar-type sermon was at a Seventh-day Adventist Church in Perth Amboy, New Jersey [Sabbath, June 8, 2013].

Gambetta continued claiming that the pope’s much older brother “has for 52 years been a SDA," then gives a detailed story about how the young Bergoglio, who would later become Pope Francis, spoke for three days with his SDA brother about Adventism. The elder brother gave the young priest Ellen White's books including the Great Controversy which he read.

To which the young Bergoglio responded that Ellen White was a plague and a witch. The pope then shunned his brother and the family even had the SDA ejected by police at his mother's funeral. The last words his brother heard from Jorge Bergolio were, "You are too insignificant for me to avenge myself on you. It is against your church that I will avenge myself.”

Story Two
Pope Praises Adventists at St. Peter's tomb at Vatican, Offers Ellen G. White Beatification By FRANCES D'EMILIO together with Juancito Perla y Perla | Associated Press – April 1, 2013

VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis is spending today's Vatican holiday praying at the tomb of Peter, the church's first pontiff, during a visit to the excavated necropolis under St. Peter's Basilica. During today's events His Holiness brought out a little red book by his favorite author, the Adventist prophetess, Ellen G. White, who died in 1915. Pope Francis announced that he will beatify the 19th century Adventist writer and establish a joint committee for the promotion of full ecumenical fellowship with the SDA denomination. Rev. Ted Wilson, world leader of the nearly 16 million-member sect is said to consider "Unity" within the broader Christian community his number one priority. Both Wilson and Francis are opposed to ordaining women to the pastoral priesthood, it was noted.

SDA Response
RECORD.net.au - Article - Pope

Here's the video which is in Spanish with subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=OnJry-Gq3jA

Apparently both stories are false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Having been married to an SDA person, the false stories don't surprise me at all. You have no idea how conspiratorial that group thinks.

They absolutely hate Catholics, or as they prefer to call them, ' Papists'.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:31 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
In the first story, Pope Francis claims he will make Sunday an international day of rest and condemns Ellen G. White as a witch. In the next, he claims he will "beatify" Mrs. White (i.e. take a step toward declaring her a saint). Contradiction, anyone? I wonder how many Seventh Day Adventists actually give Ms. White "prophecies" much credence anymore.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
In the first story, Pope Francis claims he will make Sunday an international day of rest and condemns Ellen G. White as a witch. In the next, he claims he will "beatify" Mrs. White (i.e. take a step toward declaring her a saint). Contradiction, anyone? I wonder how many Seventh Day Adventists actually give Ms. White "prophecies" much credence anymore.
Most do. That sect is as cultist as they come. My ex was convinced all mental illness was because the devil possessed those afflicted, and only an exorcism could cure it.

She was 'studying' how to do those exorcisms.

Scary stuff.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 AM

400 posts, read 601,984 times
Many believed they were part of what seventh day adventists warn against called the Emerging Church. According to Adventist Review : The Emerging Church concerns many who think adventist leaders are falling prey to other Christian beliefs, practices and doctrines.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
"News" stories worthy of The Onion. Well done.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Former neurosurgeon Ben Carson is a Seventh Day Adventist. I wonder if he drinks in that stuff?

Ben Carson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 AM

535 posts, read 967,293 times
When I was researching this I came across hundreds of downright hateful SDA comments made towards Catholics in particular, but also anyone outside of SDA. It made me wonder who could follow something so hate mongering.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:48 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Most do. That sect is as cultist as they come. My ex was convinced all mental illness was because the devil possessed those afflicted, and only an exorcism could cure it.

She was 'studying' how to do those exorcisms.

Scary stuff.
REALLY. Only a Catholic priest can do a true exorcism.

I know a couple of Sabbath Keepers from work, but I didn't know they hold to some of the beliefs I read on here. Interesting.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
REALLY. Only a Catholic priest can do a true exorcism.
Islam and Hindu has exorcisms also.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity