Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 06:21 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
I did not mean that the earth its self will be destroyed, for the earth is without end. I meant those of this earth's age are reserved to be destroyed by fire, as the old world was destroyed by the flood.
I agree the planet survives it is those who do not truly love God who perish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 07:03 AM

525 posts, read 348,281 times
expatCA,

Since your comments in post #20 don't have anything to do with my question to Joint heir with jesus, I wonder what your reason is for quoting it?

Old 11-29-2013, 07:33 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,030,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
I wonder if He knows before He creates a person what the person's eventual fate will be?
He does.

He says He knows the end from the beginning.

Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Old 11-29-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
Then there's no freewill,
then people where created as sinners or saints,
then people where created to chose Christianity or not to,
then the Torah serves no purpose,
then Jesus would serve no purpose.
then People where created to burn in hell, they've no choice they can't chose heaven.
then Nothing would have meaning, we should all just jump off a cliff.

But thankfully that isn't true,
We have Freewill,
A person has the potential to be good or bad.
A person chooses what to believe or not believe.
The Torah has some wisdom but isn't perfect.
Jesus came to show us the way to life.
People can chose to move onto paradise or to reincarnate until they cease to exists.
All of our lives have a meaning, that meaning is what you chose to make of it, our lives are important and should not be treated like puppets on a string.

"How is it that God knows all that is going to happen?" In order for freewill to exists god can't know the exact progression of all events, perhaps the exact progression of major events out of human control but not the events within our control, god knows what we might chose and what those choices would lead up to but god can't know the choices we would make because if God did we would merely be mindless slaves even the ones we claim hate god, would have been created to do so and therefor eternal damnation and the idea of sin would be rendered illogical.

May love and peace be with you all.
God knows all and controls all. Your volition is exerecised in the framework that God provides. Therefore, your choices are made according to the choices set before you and the result is known beforehand and the outcome beforehand and the ultimate fate beforehand. We were made subject to vanity - NOT WILLINGLY. God made us subject to vanity.

Rom 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

Read Romans Chapter 9.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
Exactly. Just because He has the ability to see all doesn't mean He uses it all the time. I believe that He manages the overall 'big picture' as it relates to His plan for man, but the mundane, everyday things He doesn't bother with. This is where our total freedom of choice kicks in.
Then He couldn't claim to be ALL powerful or to know the end from the beginning because all the little details have beginnings and endings also.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:40 AM

525 posts, read 348,281 times
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
trettep,

re: "He does. He says He knows the end from the beginning."

So if He knows before hand that if He were to create a person, that He would eventually be tossing the person into the lake of fire, why do you suppose He goes ahead and creates the person anyway?

Old 12-14-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats View Post
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
trettep,

re: "He does. He says He knows the end from the beginning."

So if He knows before hand that if He were to create a person, that He would eventually be tossing the person into the lake of fire, why do you suppose He goes ahead and creates the person anyway?
Good logical question. The meaning that fundamentalist put on the lake of fire is in error. By that fact that God knows the end from the beginning. Good observation.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:48 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
So bad things are predestined for the unfaithful,
good things are predestined for the faithful?
Is that what your saying?

What about the story of Job?
what about it?
He confesses despite his trials:
Job 19:25-26
I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God;

and the Lord blessed Job more than what he began with:
Job 42:10
the Lord restored his fortunes and gave him twice as much as he had before.

Job 42:12
The Lord blessed the latter part of Job’s life more than the former part.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:45 AM

670 posts, read 815,252 times
One Agnostic debating with me when I claimed an All-Knowing God would eliminate the idea of freewill
Presented me with his theory that if there is a god and we are created in its image,
Our minds are also,
Meaning what if god does know all but choses not to think about it all at one moment,
For example you know how to tie a show but that doesn't mean you sit and think about it every time you do it, and your not always tying your shoes, so similarly his theory is god has all this knowledge but is not always aware of it.

Though he also said gods idea of time would be different than ours so the god looking down on us now might not be the same him who existed when Jesus was born. Its a interesting idea, but he described god as a person who could travel from one point in his own timeline to another by simply walking int a different room.

I don't always agree with my friend but I thought I would tell you his theories because their interesting.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:07 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
If God did not know everything that will ever happen then his promises would be maybes and not sureties as they are.

There could be no such a thing as prophesy and none of God's plans would necessarily come to pass.

I like a quote from Dr. RC Sproule. "If there is one molecule in the entire universe running around outside of God's sovereign will, then that one molecule could undo all of God's plans for his creation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity