Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times

Advertisements

THIS IS NOT A CHRISTMAS BASHING THREAD!!!

This is more of a why do you do what you do type of question. I know people that dont celebrate Christmas in the religious sense, but just buy their kids gifts or just like to decorate.

If you do celebrate Christmas why do you do it and what does that day or time of year mean to you?
-Time set aside to celebrate the birth of Christ.... even though we know he wasnt born Dec 25
-Like to decorate
-Like putting up a Christmas tree
-Like Buying Gifts
-Like Receiving Gifts
-Giving back to to others
-Time when family gets together
-Christmas Plays
-Christmas Music
-You get to CEO Christians (Christmas and Easter Only) show up to church you havent seen in a while
-Tradition..ie, you grew up to celebrating Xmas, but not why you celebrate, but just like that time of year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
We celebrate God every moment of every day but we do not fall into the commercialized crap that Christmas has become.
Our grandchildren get a few non electronic gifts, usually books they love, a building kit or directions of some sort, a smaller play tent type thing when they were much younger. Other than that we spend time with them, play with them, read with them, go pioneering when we are camping, let them help build a camp fire, cook, gather firewood, play in the mud in the woods. Quality time is much more important than material gifts.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 AM

Me personally even though in the past 2 yrs I found out the Original origins of the day and how we came about to celebrate the day, i was shocked and many still ask why I celebrate Xmas when I know Jesus wasnt born that day, pagan roots etc.

For me,I just use that as a time to celebrate his birth and time when family comes together. I will go to Christmas plays as well too. Even though the bible doesnt command me to celebrate the birth , it also doesnt forbid celebrating the birth of Christ as well.
All the Santa, snoopy, decorations, Christmas trees, shop til you drop for presents, I no longer do since they have nothing to do with the birth of Christ. But I will buy my little nieces a gift. I also think it is a good time of year to try to spread the gospel more even though we should be spreading it everyday since more people might, but more people seem to be interested in learning about Jesus around Christmas and Easter, so that is the best time to take advantage of their attention and even educate them on some truth as well, so when they find the original origins of those days they dont start thinking they are doing something evil.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We celebrate God every moment of every day but we do not fall into the commercialized crap that Christmas has become.
Our grandchildren get a few non electronic gifts, usually books they love, a building kit or directions of some sort, a smaller play tent type thing when they were much younger. Other than that we spend time with them, play with them, read with them, go pioneering when we are camping, let them help build a camp fire, cook, gather firewood, play in the mud in the woods. Quality time is much more important than material gifts.
I agree about the commercialized part, just look how people act Black Friday and now even thanksgiving day. SOme just like that craziness though and count it as part of Christmas.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:44 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Actually Christmas is like a Sabbath day to the Lord which some will go and worship the Lord on this day and it is a day when Christians put their belief in Jesus out to the world in the public areas , which is a virtue of the spirit and the truth of fortitude , Even though some do not interpret Christmas like Sabbath Worship ..... Look at the Christmas tree which is a everlasting green like the everlasting life , and it is shaped in a triangle , like the three trinity , and it is celebrated on the birth of the Messiah .....Some Christians put down the celebration of Christmas , where many nations who do not celebrate the holy day , even though America and some other still celebrate the holy day of Jesus birth Christians should not worry if many atheist and non believers celebrate happy holiday on the same day God does not condemn Christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity