Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:04 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times

Advertisements

Conviction... the Holy Spirit at work. It's a good thing to know that God loves you enough to point you in the right direction.

Thank God for loving you, then receive your forgiveness and go forth, so you do not do anything out of compulsion. Your just giving back what God gave you... it's called grace. Feels pretty good

...just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 10:50 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I don't drink, except around the holidays. I have some champagne while I wrap presents and bake on Christmas Eve. My husbands family members are former alcoholics so there is no alcohol allowed. This is good, I prefer it that way actually.

My side of the family are mostly current alcoholics and drink to excess daily and sometimes make fools of themselves. I didn't have the strength not to drink yesterday when around them. There is a woman in my family desperately in need of God more than the others, (my aunt) and she was watching me like a hawk. I can now never mention her excessive drinking because I was drinking too. I also feel I made a fool of myself because I take antianxiety meds to take the edge off, and the booze made me slow and forgetful.

My husband was a good witness, he abstained from alcohol even though they kept trying to push it on him.

My philosophy is, if you're caught by unbelievers even once doing something you're not supposed to, well if you say anything against it, you're a hypocrite. For example, if you catch someone in a lie, in your mind they're now a liar. See someone have a drink, they're an alcoholic. They need alcohol for some reason to get away from their mind, or they're weak and can't handle life without a drug to make them function.

My husband dumped out the rest of the champagne this morning. He first asked for my permission, and I said yes do it. I think I will even cut out the holiday-by-myself drinking because I start getting "sad" thinking about past failures. (Demons)

Anyone blow a chance to be a good witness? I wrote this to vent and get others stories.

I always blow a chance to be a good witness. While I didn't get drunk over the Holidays, I failed to speak up for God in Christ when the opportunities arose. I knew they would start conflict, so I kept my lips. My family consists of many unbelievers, and many have their opinion/anti-Christ gospel about how to save the World. I also have a lot of very religious Catholic members that I do not believe are saved. They like to mock and scoff at God, throwing his Title around like nothing dragging Christ's name through the mud. They like to mock the concept of the end of the World, which is ultimately mocking God's Word. The holidays are a tough time of year for me. At times I just want to move far away from everyone.

The worst type of professing Christian is the one that is DEEPLY entrenched in Religious lies and tradition. When they talk about God, they are not talking about the same God that I believe in, the one revealed in the Holy Bible.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:32 AM

442 posts, read 588,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I don't drink, except around the holidays. I have some champagne while I wrap presents and bake on Christmas Eve. My husbands family members are former alcoholics so there is no alcohol allowed. This is good, I prefer it that way actually.

My side of the family are mostly current alcoholics and drink to excess daily and sometimes make fools of themselves. I didn't have the strength not to drink yesterday when around them. There is a woman in my family desperately in need of God more than the others, (my aunt) and she was watching me like a hawk. I can now never mention her excessive drinking because I was drinking too. I also feel I made a fool of myself because I take antianxiety meds to take the edge off, and the booze made me slow and forgetful.

My husband was a good witness, he abstained from alcohol even though they kept trying to push it on him.

My philosophy is, if you're caught by unbelievers even once doing something you're not supposed to, well if you say anything against it, you're a hypocrite. For example, if you catch someone in a lie, in your mind they're now a liar. See someone have a drink, they're an alcoholic. They need alcohol for some reason to get away from their mind, or they're weak and can't handle life without a drug to make them function.

My husband dumped out the rest of the champagne this morning. He first asked for my permission, and I said yes do it. I think I will even cut out the holiday-by-myself drinking because I start getting "sad" thinking about past failures. (Demons)

Anyone blow a chance to be a good witness? I wrote this to vent and get others stories.
You should talk to your Aunt about it. How sad you are that you may have blown your witness, and how you feel bad for subjecting her to such behavior.
It will go along way toward your credibility, since hardly anyone humbles themselves to do such then makes good on their word. Show her it's real.

It may open the door later for her to come to the Lord, as time passes and she sees you not stumbling again

Obviously never drink again. God can perform miracles, all is not lost. Blessings to you

Old 12-29-2013, 08:35 AM

123 posts, read 166,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiawomann5 View Post
You should talk to your Aunt about it. How sad you are that you may have blown your witness, and how you feel bad for subjecting her to such behavior.
It will go along way toward your credibility, since hardly anyone humbles themselves to do such then makes good on their word. Show her it's real.

It may open the door later for her to come to the Lord, as time passes and she sees you not stumbling again
This is excellent, godly advice.

1 Peter 5:6: "So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor."

I'm in an unequally yoked marriage for over 12 years and I am a very poor witness much of the time. I have to apologize almost on a daily basis. So no judgment from me to you!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:12 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
^^^ good verse for memory.

I have considered what everyone is saying here.

A lot of people have brought up the drinking. I don't consider drinking in moderation a sin either, and I can control it. But when I'm around other people who can't control it, they will use it to justify their own drinking. We've had interventions in this family, and people point the finger saying "well you drink. Well you take pills." It doesn't matter if I drink once a year or take prescribed medication for my anxiety. A falling down drunk or addict will take that information and twist it. We already lost someone to an overdose and so that's why I'm so strict regarding the drinking (for myself). Especially being a witness for Christ.

Californiawoman, that's a great way to redeem myself, I think I will try that.

The support means a lot to me, thanks you guys.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I always blow a chance to be a good witness. While I didn't get drunk over the Holidays, I failed to speak up for God in Christ when the opportunities arose. I knew they would start conflict, so I kept my lips. My family consists of many unbelievers, and many have their opinion/anti-Christ gospel about how to save the World. I also have a lot of very religious Catholic members that I do not believe are saved. They like to mock and scoff at God, throwing his Title around like nothing dragging Christ's name through the mud. They like to mock the concept of the end of the World, which is ultimately mocking God's Word. The holidays are a tough time of year for me. At times I just want to move far away from everyone.

The worst type of professing Christian is the one that is DEEPLY entrenched in Religious lies and tradition. When they talk about God, they are not talking about the same God that I believe in, the one revealed in the Holy Bible.
My advice here - don't be the kind of Christian everyone avoids, including other Christians. You aren't going to do anyone any good if people scurry to the opposite of the street or duck into a different room when they see you coming.

If you're going to push and push and push your specific kind of religion onto the family, they'll get tired of you. That's almost a certainty. Just like athiests often have to stand silently by or even pretend to participate in familial religious rituals, you might have to learn to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity