Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 04:00 PM

484 posts, read 882,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
Genesis 6:20 - Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

Now, there are millions of different species in the world. You did contradict your own point though. 'Where do you get millions of specials into a boat?' Certainly not near where Noah lives, which they would have had to be.
And I wonder about all the plant species as well as the animals. Back then, having not discovered cells it was not known that plants were living also. My theory would be that they thought since it took water to grow plants that they could survive the massive flood. That or many of the plants could die and it didn't matter or matter. Obviously there are a number of plants that could've survived being submerged in water though.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 PM

591 posts, read 926,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
And I wonder about all the plant species as well as the animals. Back then, having not discovered cells it was not known that plants were living also. My theory would be that they thought since it took water to grow plants that they could survive the massive flood. That or many of the plants could die and it didn't matter or matter. Obviously there are a number of plants that could've survived being submerged in water though.
Good point.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Genesis 6:20 - Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

Now, there are millions of different species in the world. You did contradict your own point though. 'Where do you get millions of specials into a boat?' Certainly not near where Noah lives, which they would have had to be.
That's the main problem. The fact is that many hundred thousand species are found under what is supposed to be flood levels. If you are going to cheat by selecting a few representative 'kinds' and then have them evolves at lightning speed into millions of species, then getting two of each isn't what is happening. You are having hundred thousand species exterminated, which is not the sense of the Bible. Even if you do take two of each, it's pretty disgusting to wipe out all the others, who didn't deserve it.

No, the more you try to explain it, the less sense it makes.

And to get back on -topic, is NAMI now a known fraud, or is it still being claimed as a real find?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That's the main problem. The fact is that many hundred thousand species are found under what is supposed to be flood levels. If you are going to cheat by selecting a few representative 'kinds' and then have them evolves at lightning speed into millions of species, then getting two of each isn't what is happening. You are having hundred thousand species exterminated, which is not the sense of the Bible. Even if you do take two of each, it's pretty disgusting to wipe out all the others, who didn't deserve it.

No, the more you try to explain it, the less sense it makes.

And to get back on -topic, is NAMI now a known fraud, or is it still being claimed as a real find?
It's true, the more someone attempts to rationalise it, the more they come off mental.

I believe it has been a known fraud for some time. There have been numerous threads on this exact 'ark' over the last couple years on this forum alone.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:39 PM

484 posts, read 882,995 times
Quote:
It's true, the more someone attempts to rationalise it, the more they come off mental.

I believe it has been a known fraud for some time. There have been numerous threads on this exact 'ark' over the last couple years on this forum alone.
The only rational answer is that the story of the ark is A. allegorical, B. false, or C. it was a miracle from God in which laws of the universe were altered briefly by him to help him accomplish the task of cleansing the world of evil people (solving the issue of animals not having enough room inside, not having adequate diets, etcetera).

Note I mean those in all seriousness. Be you Christian or Atheist, I think the answer lies in of those aforementioned explanations.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
The only rational answer is that the story of the ark is A. allegorical, B. false, or C. it was a miracle from God in which laws of the universe were altered briefly by him to help him accomplish the task of cleansing the world of evil people (solving the issue of animals not having enough room inside, not having adequate diets, etcetera).

Note I mean those in all seriousness. Be you Christian or Atheist, I think the answer lies in of those aforementioned explanations.
B - Final answer.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:

There is of course a third explanation -that the story is based on a real event or even one or more real events. The Black sea flood is often mentioned as the origin of the tale. If so, it is a folk - memory handed down and leading to a number of flood - legends.

If this was caused by the post ice -age melting, then it would cause flooding the world over. Even then, it might not be the Biblical flood which is more apparently based on the Babylonian local flooding in the Tigris - Euphrates valley.

But the point is that the flood was local and did not wipe out mankind apart from a selected righteous family. Thus, even if the Flood was based on a real event, the Noachian account of the Flood and all the religious claims behind it are not true and the Genesis chapter is again discredited as historic fact.

P.s Now Eusebius has come up with some ingenious mechanisms to make a global flood work and evidently has some idea of a small number of animals as a basis for a lightning evolutionary diversity . In fact the one - year flood idea is supported by taking millions of years of evolution and geology and having it all done in one year.

Rather like the 6 -day creation, except that it is a lot harder to turn the Biblical flood -year into 100 million years than 6 days into two billion years. The geology doesn't really support a laid -down flood level and mountains rising as much as is needed to make a flood work. The inversion and rolling over rather indicated millions of wears of tectonic movement, erosion and new mountains. The Flood scenario does not work. Nor does the collection of animals even if we have the cynical exploitation of the population to gather all the critters and then be left outside to drown. And why we end up with platypeece and wombats in Australia instead of the more useful sheep and cows I can't explain, and I haven't had one from anyone else, other than variants on 'God knows what he is doing'.

That is not good enough. We are talking facts, not Faith.

And from what I see the general sense even amongst Christians and creationists is that NAMI is a fake.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-22-2014 at 04:36 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 04:38 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:

Noah only needed approximately 16,000 animals in the ark:
How Could Noah Fit the Animals on the Ark and Care for Them? - Answers in Genesis

Old 01-22-2014, 04:46 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
There is of course a third explanation -that the story is based on a real event or even one or more real events. The Black sea flood is often mentioned as the origin of the tale. If so, it is a folk - memory handed down and leading to a number of flood - legends.

If this was caused by the post ice -age melting, then it would cause flooding the world over. Even then, it might not be the Biblical flood which is more apparently based on the Babylonian local flooding in the Tigris - Euphrates valley.

But the point is that the flood was local and did not wipe out mankind apart from a selected righteous family. Thus, even if the Flood was based on a real event, the Noachian account of the Flood and all the religious claims behind it are not true and the Genesis chapter is again discredited as historic fact.

P.s Now Eusebius has come up with some ingenious mechanisms to make a global flood work and evidently has some idea of a small number of animals as a basis for a lightning evolutionary diversity . In fact the one - year flood idea is supported by taking millions of years of evolution and geology and having it all done in one year.

Rather like the 6 -day creation, except that it is a lot harder to turn the Biblical flood -year into 100 million years than 6 days into two billion years. The geology doesn't really support a laid -down flood level and mountains rising as much as is needed to make a flood work. The inversion and rolling over rather indicated millions of wears of tectonic movement, erosion and new mountains. The Flood scenario does not work. Nor does the collection of animals even if we have the cynical exploitation of the population to gather all the critters and then be left outside to drown. And why we end up with platypeece and wombats in Australia instead of the more useful sheep and cows I can't explain, and I haven't had one from anyone else, other than variants on 'God knows what he is doing'.

That is not good enough. We are talking facts, not Faith.

And from what I see the general sense even amongst Christians and creationists is that NAMI is a fake.
It might help you to read "The Flood" by Rehwinkel.
Also, if you go by present day research about DNA you will kindly note that they have discovered that about 5,000 to 6000 years ago the DNA came to a constriction like an hourglass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atmGjT1SFUs

Old 01-22-2014, 05:35 AM

If you have a point to make - make it. Don't direct me to some fathead Creationist tome (1) and expect me to do your research for you.

And what on earth is your point about hourglass -shaped DNA?

(1) I had a quick check and that it just what it is. The case for geology indicating a global Flood rather than millions of years of geological change has been extensively discussed and has transpired to have serious flaws in its case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity