Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 03:21 PM

591 posts, read 928,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Ok I watched the first seven minutes of this clip but I had to pause it and go ahead and make this post. I did that because Dr. Snelling was talking about how the same types of soil and similar fossils in different continents proves that there must've been a flood. I think what he means to say is that these similarities contribute to the theory of continental drift (or plate tectonics). For example, geologists have traced a mountain range that runs from the southeastern U.S., Canada, under the ocean, and eventually the northern part of Ireland and the UK. This particular continuous mountain range can't be explained by the flood, but rather the fact that these continents were once touching each other. Plate Tectonics is a widely accepted scientific theory.

Oops Eusebius, please try again!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:30 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,004,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
Oops Eusebius, please try again!
No. No need to.

What the good doctor spoke on was not plate techtonics but MASSIVE amounts of global water over the continent(s). Now then, if there were plate techtonics involved, fine. You'd have massive continent plates going downward below the water line of the oceans. So, however it happened, I'm still correct.

Just try to concentrate on the doctor's PROOF, something y'all are lacking these days.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:31 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,004,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Ok I watched the first seven minutes of this clip but I had to pause it and go ahead and make this post. I did that because Dr. Snelling was talking about how the same types of soil and similar fossils in different continents proves that there must've been a flood. I think what he means to say is that these similarities contribute to the theory of continental drift (or plate tectonics). For example, geologists have traced a mountain range that runs from the southeastern U.S., Canada, under the ocean, and eventually the northern part of Ireland and the UK. This particular continuous mountain range can't be explained by the flood, but rather the fact that these continents were once touching each other. Plate Tectonics is a widely accepted scientific theory.

That was not his point. Why not just listen to the first 5 seconds of the video and tell us all what he is talking about in the rest of the video. Geesh!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 PM

591 posts, read 928,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
No. No need to.

What the good doctor spoke on was not plate techtonics but MASSIVE amounts of global water over the continent(s). Now then, if there were plate techtonics involved, fine. You'd have massive continent plates going downward below the water line of the oceans. So, however it happened, I'm still correct.

Just try to concentrate on the doctor's PROOF, something y'all are lacking these days.
You contradict your own argument. He doesn't provide any proof. I can make a YouTube video saying the contrary. Does that mean I'm right.

Please go back and revisit the point I'm discussing with you.

How about you go back and discuss the first point you've still failed to answer. Disprove the link, with which you believe is flawed! You don't know where to begin at all do you..

Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 PM

484 posts, read 884,355 times
Quote:
No. No need to.

There are also such things as Oceanic plates, which always go under the continental crust, rather than the other way around.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:01 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,736,596 times
Quote:
Dear Wardendresden,
What do you mean there may have been a Noah? He is in the genealogies both of the Old Testament and New Testament.

Also, you have to proooooooooove that the historic account of Noah, the ark, the animals, the flood are all the result of story telling gone awry. Just because there are cases where a story gets bent out of shape from it's original story does not prove to be the case with Genesis. Why did they never get the genealogies wrong in Genesis? Because they wrote them down from the get go just like the account of Noah etc.
Throughout history there are lots of stories that have been bent out of shape. To think the writers of the early Bible were any different from other men is, well, to make them "angels." That is baloney. They were men and were influenced as men are influenced.

Some people mistakenly believe God was whispering in the ear of the writers, but in fact, it is generally men who whisper sweet nothings in God's ear in hope that He will not notice how brutally we treat one another--and Christians throughout the ages can step to the forefront of that line.

How about reading the genealogies in Matthew and Luke, neither of them match with one another, and one of them claims to have fourteen generations between events, but lists only thirteen names. In addition it says one man is the son of another when he was actually the grandson--that is if the OT genealogy is correct.

I suspect there maaaaaayyyyy have been a Noah. All the other stuff was built around the flood stories and the fact that Noah was probably a good man. But the information recorded would have been centuries after the event. It's basically like asking you to get me a weather report for the week of the siege at Yorktown. You might get close if someone recorded in their diary that it rained one day, but the temps are going to be far, far away in another galaxy.

If you need an ark--or a chalice--to verify your belief in God, then your faith is indeed shallow. A historian goes with the best case scenario based on the available knowledge. Noah floating a boat to hold hundreds of thousands of species of animals is NOT a best case scenario--unless you are going to maintain that God shrank all the animals he had Noah put in the boat--and that makes about as much sense as anything else being concocted here.

People are out to make money on gullible, shallow Christians--and you are providing proof that it works.

Did some further checking--

Just as I thought, the Turkish government has built a "visitors" center near a strange earthen formation on a mountain in their country (selling gifts, of course). There is absolutely NOTHING in the way or artifacts to "prove" the strange formation is other than what it is--a strange formation.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 01-23-2014 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 PM

546 posts, read 548,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Throughout history there are lots of stories that have been bent out of shape. To think the writers of the early Bible were any different from other men is, well, to make them "angels." That is baloney. They were men and were influenced as men are influenced.

Some people mistakenly believe God was whispering in the ear of the writers, but in fact, it is generally men who whisper sweet nothings in God's ear in hope that He will not notice how brutally we treat one another--and Christians throughout the ages can step to the forefront of that line.

How about reading the genealogies in Matthew and Luke, neither of them match with one another, and one of them claims to have fourteen generations between events, but lists only thirteen names. In addition it says one man is the son of another when he was actually the grandson--that is if the OT genealogy is correct.

I suspect there maaaaaayyyyy have been a Noah. All the other stuff was built around the flood stories and the fact that Noah was probably a good man. But the information recorded would have been centuries after the event. It's basically like asking you to get me a weather report for the week of the siege at Yorktown. You might get close if someone recorded in their diary that it rained one day, but the temps are going to be far, far away in another galaxy.

If you need an ark--or a chalice--to verify your belief in God, then your faith is indeed shallow. A historian goes with the best case scenario based on the available knowledge. Noah floating a boat to hold hundreds of thousands of species of animals is NOT a best case scenario--unless you are going to maintain that God shrank all the animals he had Noah put in the boat--and that makes about as much sense as anything else being concocted here.

People are out to make money on gullible, shallow Christians--and you are providing proof that it works.

Did some further checking--

Just as I thought, the Turkish government has built a "visitors" center near a strange earthen formation on a mountain in their country (selling gifts, of course). There is absolutely NOTHING in the way or artifacts to "prove" the strange formation is other than what it is--a strange formation.
There ARE artifacts. If you watched the clip, they brought home a rivet, and a portion of a beam that had been petrified. There may have been more, I don't know. The rivet contained magnesium, aluminum, and titanium, along with iron. Someone stated that "If the scientists even considered that Noah made these objects in a crude way"...Well, this is where the scientists and others go wrong. They presuppose that people from that time were crude metal workers at best. So, in actuality, they are forcing a fact that isn't proven. For all they know, Noah had skills that metalworkers today can not come close to, and personally, I believe this to be the case. Of course, for the scientists to consider this, they then have to pull out the 'alien' card, because ancient man 'couldn't possibly' do these things, and they need the help of an 'advanced race'. This is all rubbish. Man was created abilities that were far more advanced than we, as a scientific race, even consider...in my opinion.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:32 PM

5,539 posts, read 7,131,052 times
Quote:
Jesus was not telling His disciples to LITERALLY hate their wives, children, mother and father. He was telling them to give precedence to what He was doing or they couldn't be His disciples.
Witnessing all of your nasty fighting with other good Christians on this forum, I don't think you're qualified to be ministering any Sunday School lessons.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:00 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,736,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post
There ARE artifacts. If you watched the clip, they brought home a rivet, and a portion of a beam that had been petrified. There may have been more, I don't know. The rivet contained magnesium, aluminum, and titanium, along with iron. Someone stated that "If the scientists even considered that Noah made these objects in a crude way"...Well, this is where the scientists and others go wrong. They presuppose that people from that time were crude metal workers at best. So, in actuality, they are forcing a fact that isn't proven. For all they know, Noah had skills that metalworkers today can not come close to, and personally, I believe this to be the case. Of course, for the scientists to consider this, they then have to pull out the 'alien' card, because ancient man 'couldn't possibly' do these things, and they need the help of an 'advanced race'. This is all rubbish. Man was created abilities that were far more advanced than we, as a scientific race, even consider...in my opinion.
Yep, had to be the ark, complete with storage facilities to feed a million different species for almost a year. None of that crap has anything to do with the message of God given through fallible men--the authors of the Bible--and shown through fallible men like Abraham who lied about his wife being his sister, like Jacob stealing his brother's blessing, like Sampson who fell for the guile of a woman, like David who was an adulterer and a murderer, like Solomon, who for all his personal wisdom, overtaxed his nation so that it split into two countries at his death, like Jonah who was angry that God had him preach to the Ninevites because Jonah didn't want them to be saved---shall I go on??

The minute you start seeing infallibility in books or people you have lost sight of who God is. God uses fallible things to teach great lessons. Jesus Himself was once angry at the Pharisees because they doubted His greater power to forgive sin--so He said, "Rise up and walk!" (Matt 9:5-6). In other words, He did the lesser thing to show them what the greater thing really was. Those today who need arks or chalices or Bibles so holy they will walk on water are no different from those very Pharisees. They see salvation and blessing in the material, not in the spiritual. They have taken the broad and easy path, not the narrow, difficult path. They have no argument for God in the heart, because they are looking for God in a book, or an ark, or anything other than within themselves.

I'm a Christian. But it's certainly very easy to see why people are agnostic/atheistic when people who name Christ throw out this kind of baloney. Those people don't help the Christian cause, they hinder it. No one with a lick of sense would want to become a Christian if he thinks he has to let all reason depart from his head.

If Christians would spend as much time trying to live like Jesus and help those in need rather than waste time on an ark story--maybe some folks who aren't Christian would see something they wanted to emulate. But this myth has turned into a hole in the bottom of the spiritual ark--and it is sinking the spirit of everyone whether they are on the boat or not.

By the way, I've got a prayer handkerchief I can send you for just ten dollars plus postage. It was prayed over by a big name minister when he stood at the tomb of Jesus some years ago. It most certainly will make Jesus more real to you!

Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Yep, had to be the ark complete with storage facilities to feed a million different species for almost a year. None of that crap has anything to do with the message of God given through fallible men--the authors of the Bible--and shown through fallible men like Abraham who lied about his wife being his sister, like Jacob stealing his brother's blessing, like Sampson who fell for the guile of a woman, like David who was an adulterer and a murderer, like Solomon, who for all his personal wisdom, overtaxed his nation so that it split into two countries at his death, like Jonah who was angry that God had him preach to the Ninevites because Jonah didn't want them to be saved---shall I go on??
Please, do!
Quote:
The minute you start seeing infallibility in books or people you have lost sight of who God is. God uses fallible things to teach great lessons. Jesus Himself was once angry at the Pharisees because they doubted His greater power to forgive sin--so He said, "Rise up and walk!" (Matt 9:5-6). In other words, He did the lesser thing to show them what the greater thing really was. Those today who need arks or chalices or Bibles so holy they will walk on water are no different from those very Pharisees. They see salvation and blessing in the material, not in the spiritual. They have taken the broad and easy path, not the narrow, difficult path. They have no argument for God in the heart, because they are looking for God in a book, or an ark, or anything other than within themselves.

I'm a Christian. But it's certainly very easy to see why people are agnostic/atheistic when people who name Christ throw out this kind of baloney. Those people don't help the Christian cause, they hinder it. No one with a lick of sense would want to become a Christian if he thinks he has to let all reason depart from his head.

If Christians would spend as much time trying to live like Jesus and help those in need rather than waste time on an ark story--maybe some folks who aren't Christian would see something they wanted to emulate. But this myth has turned into a hole in the bottom of the spiritual ark--and it is sinking the spirit of everyone whether they are on the boat or not.

By the way, I've got a prayer handkerchief I can send you for just ten dollars plus postage. It was prayed over by a big name minister when he stood at the tomb of Jesus some years ago. It most certainly will make Jesus more real to you!
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity