Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christians celebrate Lent?
Yes 16 66.67%
No 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 03:09 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,255,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wow, things are so different from when I was a kid. Lutherans have long done all of the above but the imposition of ashes (too Catholic), but now we do that, too. I don't remember the Presbyterians in my hometown doing any of the above. It's neat so many churches are doing the ashes and recognizing Lent now.

Our pastor talked about that at the noon service today. You're not supposed to go around displaying your ashes in a boastful way. I haven't been anywhere since church, probably won't go farther than my mailbox to pick up the mail.

Since you two are both from the Denver area, did you know you can go get some ashes on the Pearl St. Mall and CU campus? Also an ashes drive-through at Lutheran Church of Hope in Broomfield. I don't know if my pastor is out on Pearl St. right now.
Megan Quinn: Bringing Ash Wednesday out of churches, into community - Boulder Daily Camera
I believe it's standard in the Presbyterian Church (USA branch) now. We attend Montview Presbyterian in Denver and it's quite traditional in its liturgy. Probably very similar to Lutheran churches, plus a lot of similarities with Catholic Mass.

Interesting about imposition outside church. We're going to church tonight. We have a half hour of silent prayer in candelight, then the service with communion and imposition of ashes. It's very solumn and dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 03:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I believe it's standard in the Presbyterian Church (USA branch) now. We attend Montview Presbyterian in Denver and it's quite traditional in its liturgy. Probably very similar to Lutheran churches, plus a lot of similarities with Catholic Mass.

Interesting about imposition outside church. We're going to church tonight. We have a half hour of silent prayer in candelight, then the service with communion and imposition of ashes. It's very solumn and dark.
Sounds very moving. There were a lot of Reformed Presbyterians in my hometown; maybe that's the difference.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:59 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,657,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wow, things are so different from when I was a kid. Lutherans have long done all of the above but the imposition of ashes (too Catholic), but now we do that, too. I don't remember the Presbyterians in my hometown doing any of the above. It's neat so many churches are doing the ashes and recognizing Lent now.

Our pastor talked about that at the noon service today. You're not supposed to go around displaying your ashes in a boastful way. I haven't been anywhere since church, probably won't go farther than my mailbox to pick up the mail.

Since you two are both from the Denver area, did you know you can go get some ashes on the Pearl St. Mall and CU campus? Also an ashes drive-through at Lutheran Church of Hope in Broomfield. I don't know if my pastor is out on Pearl St. right now.
Megan Quinn: Bringing Ash Wednesday out of churches, into community - Boulder Daily Camera

You're right. Where I grew up, basically you could tell who was Catholic by who had ashes on their forhead on Wednesday. Some Episcopalians may have.

Lent and other "Catholic" customs have made their way into churches that once rejected such customs.

Not all Lutheran churches practice or even offer ashes, and not all Lutherans want them.

It's a choice.

I agree about walking around with ashes. It's kind of like boasting about your spirituality.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:07 PM

675 posts, read 1,703,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I agree about walking around with ashes. It's kind of like boasting about your spirituality.
I don't think it's boasting. Most Catholics I know feel kind of awkward about it, especially since we often get questions or comments. It's one of those many things in faith - you don't want to hide your faith as if it's something shameful but you don't want your expression of it to seem like boasting, especially since we are called not to be boastful. But if your example leads others to see the faith as acceptable or admirable, that would be a form of witnessing or evangelization, which we are also called to do. It's a fine line to walk.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,150,199 times
Quote:
Lent is not a celebration, it's an observance. The Yom Kipper comparison is very apt.
I meant to put Observe, but it was too late to change it when I went back, but i figured folks got the point.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times
The Christians that do not celebrate lent are the same ones that do not celebrate Christmas or Easter. They only celebrate the Bible.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The Christians that do not celebrate lent are the same ones that do not celebrate Christmas or Easter. They only celebrate the Bible.
Actually, many evangelical churches around here (metro Denver) make a huge deal of Christmas/Easter but don't even recognize Good Friday.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:28 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
If they want to. I don't care for the ash Wednesday display of ashes on the forehead because humility and godly sorrow are a matter of the heart and not a public display. But maybe that helps some people - I should not judge them really. I love the whole season of spring and Pass Over or Easter. Spring bespeaks the mystery of the resurrection from death.

The gospel read for the Ash Wednesday service tonight was the one wherein Christ says that if you are fasting not to put your suffering on public display but keep it between yourself and God. So after the priest read it, he gave a little history of Ash Wednesday and said, "And Jesus told us not to make a public display of our piety but here we are putting ashes on our heads." He shrugged and laughed and reiterated that the ashes don't matter. It's a time for being aware of our shortcoming and resolving to live better lives.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
You're right. Where I grew up, basically you could tell who was Catholic by who had ashes on their forhead on Wednesday. Some Episcopalians may have.

Lent and other "Catholic" customs have made their way into churches that once rejected such customs.

Not all Lutheran churches practice or even offer ashes, and not all Lutherans want them.

It's a choice.

It's funny, because it's supposed to be the exact opposite. Walking around with ashes should cause humility, not boastfulness.

I got mine at an evening church service, so no one saw me anyway except the other people in church and myself in the mirror.

The service is moving. It's all about atonement and being aware of what you have not done that you should have done.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The gospel read for the Ash Wednesday service tonight was the one wherein Christ says that if you are fasting not to put your suffering on public display but keep it between yourself and God. So after the priest read it, he gave a little history of Ash Wednesday and said, "And Jesus told us not to make a public display of our piety but here we are putting ashes on our heads." He shrugged and laughed and reiterated that the ashes don't matter. It's a time for being aware of our shortcoming and resolving to live better lives.
We had the same reading, and our pastor said we weren't supposed to go out and show off our ashes, but wear them as a sign of humility. I came home and never went outside the rest of the afternoon (I went at noon) except to get the mail. She also said we shouldn't give up ice cream for Lent just to lose weight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity