Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 07:50 PM

250 posts, read 503,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
Something as important as another testament of Jesus Christ would not be guarded? I guarantee you that if old Birdy laboured with his head in a hat peering into a seer stone for 464 pages of revelation; no printer, no scribe, no nothing would mar the effort! Nothing!
Oh they guarded it very much but despite their best efforts errors occurred--most of which were trivial in my opinion. But as Moroni said, if there be faults they be the faults of a man and not of God.

Moroni's words in the ninth chapter of Mormon come to mind after reading your post: "Condemn me not because of mine imperfection, neither my father, because of his imperfection, neither them who have written before him; but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." (Mormon 9:31)

Old 03-06-2008, 03:14 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,352,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbabwe View Post
Oh they guarded it very much but despite their best efforts errors occurred--most of which were trivial in my opinion. But as Moroni said, if there be faults they be the faults of a man and not of God.
My friend: errors most certainly occured, many of them. And these "trivial" errors were not merely grammatical, but changing of doctrine and order of events.

In the introduction of Christ in the original text we read....

1 Nephi 12:18

Quote:
....yea, even the word of the justice of the Eternal God, and Jesus Christ, which is the Lamb of God...
The problem=

Jesus Christ was not revealed to the Nephites unto 2 Nephi 10:3

"Wherefore, as I said unto you, it must needs be expedient that Christ--for in the last night the angel spake unto me that this should be his name--should come among the Jews..."

The remedy=

In order to remedy the contradiction, the text of 1 Nephi 12:18 was simply changed to read "Messiah" instead of "Jesus Christ."

The whole episode demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the word "Christ" on the part of brother Joseph, and the L.D.S. correctees of the original text. Actually "Christ" & "Messiah" are totally synonymous, the former being derived from Greek, the latter from Hebrew.

Quote:
...the first thing he did (Andrew) was find his brother Simon...he said to him, we have found the Messiah (which is the Hebrew for Christ.) -St. John 1:41-
euriskei outoV prwton ton adelfon ton idion simwna kai legei autw eurhkamen ton messian o estin meqermhneuomenon cristoV

Last edited by Birdy_56; 03-06-2008 at 03:39 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 03:34 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,352,597 times
Examining Joseph Smith's "Inspired" Revisions To The King James Bible

HERE (broken link)

Translation Manuscript Page Of The J.S.T. -John 1:19a - 39a.-

HERE (broken link)

Old 03-06-2008, 05:20 AM

223 posts, read 497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Joe Smith died in a wild west styled gun fight where he himself fired several shots. I'm not sure by what standard that would qualify as martyrdom

Joseph Smith, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would have to say that he, Lived by the sword and died by the sword, in this case the gun.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:53 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,526,912 times
Regardless of the OPs original intent, this thread had evolved into a place without contention, where LDS members could explain what LDS members really believe and the offical Church stance.

I have always found this passage to be very true:

3Nephi11:29

"For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another."

Old 03-06-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
My friend: errors most certainly occured, many of them. And these "trivial" errors were not merely grammatical, but changing of doctrine and order of events. (emphasis added)
I disagree. All but a handful of the corrections were clearly trivial and only a handful might give you pause to think. The Tanners, anti-Mormon activists whose work I suspect you are using, have said as much: "As we stated earlier, most of the 3,913 changes which we found were related to the correction of grammatical and spelling errors and do not really change the basic meaning of the text" (Jerald and Sandra Tanner, The Changing World of Mormonism, Chicago: Moody Pres., 1980, p 131, emphasis added)

Quote:
In the introduction of Christ in the original text we read....

1 Nephi 12:18

The problem=

Jesus Christ was not revealed to the Nephites unto 2 Nephi 10:3

"Wherefore, as I said unto you, it must needs be expedient that Christ--for in the last night the angel spake unto me that this should be his name--should come among the Jews..."

The remedy=

In order to remedy the contradiction, the text of 1 Nephi 12:18 was simply changed to read "Messiah" instead of "Jesus Christ."

The whole episode demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the word "Christ" on the part of brother Joseph, and the L.D.S. correctees of the original text. Actually "Christ" & "Messiah" are totally synonymous, the former being derived from Greek, the latter from Hebrew.

euriskei outoV prwton ton adelfon ton idion simwna kai legei autw eurhkamen ton messian o estin meqermhneuomenon cristoV
It is a great blessing to know Greek. I wish I had that skill. The Gold plates were written in Egyptian or reformed Egyptian rather than Hebrew, I believe, because it made more economical use of the space on the plates. So there would have been some character to represent the Messiah or Christ, which as you correctly put it are synonyms. So it does not seem out of place that the word Messiah or Christ are used here, since either one is acceptable. The name "Jesus" seems anachronistic but I am not sure if it is or not. You see sinister intent because you assume that Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon deceitfully, instead of translated it as he claimed. The bottom line is that I don't know why the change was made and you don't really either.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:43 AM

270 posts, read 527,535 times
To those who attack the Mormon religion. You really need to grow up and stop being so immature. I grew up around Mormon's and they are the nicest people I know. Why attack a person's religion. I could attack every religion because there are things in all religions that I don't agree with. Why attack a persons religion. I am sure God is proud of all of you who attack any religion because he knows that you are the only ones who know what is really true. None of us are perfect. People who practice their religion and obey the commandments are good people. Any religion that teaches a person to be kind to others is not a bad religion. Who cares what it is. I'm in no way saying that all Mormon's are nice to be around but those that really practice their religion are good people. So leave them alone. Why attack? Instead try to understand that they beleive the way they do for their own reasons and you beleive the way you do for yours. As for being Christian, of course they are, they beleive in Christ which is what a Christian is. Arguements can be made, but just leave it alone. GROW UP!!! Some people sound like whining babies. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's bad.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENO-777 View Post
I would have to say that he, Lived by the sword and died by the sword, in this case the gun.

Actually Joseph Smith did not live by the sword or gun but was peacable and always offered up the olive branch to his enemies. We should all do likewise as fellow Christians.

Last edited by zimbabwe; 03-06-2008 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-06-2008, 08:54 AM

270 posts, read 527,535 times
Amen!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,737,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbabwe View Post
Actually Joseph Smith did not live by the sword or gun but was peacable and always offered up the olive branch to his enemies. We should all do likewise as fellow Christians.
On his way to Carthage Jail, from which he never returned, Joseph Smith said "I am going like a lamb to the slaughter; but I am calm as a summer’s morning; I have a conscience void of offense towards God, and towards all men. I shall die innocent, and it shall be said of me—He was murdered in cold blood."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity