Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,961 times

Advertisements

Let's discuss this mysterious religion and what they really believe. Let's chat. I throw out the first question. Do Mormons believe in polytheism? The belief of more than one God.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:07 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,494,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
Let's discuss this mysterious religion and what they really believe. Let's chat. I throw out the first question. Do Mormons believe in polytheism? The belief of more than one God.
Most definitely! Although they would deny this. In reality, however, the Father God they believe in is the god with which we have to do. He is god over this planet. There are other gods over other planets. A Mormon man can attain to godhood and be himself a god over a planet. "As man is, god once was; as god is man may become." There is nothing Christian about this religion.

Preterist

Old 12-06-2007, 08:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Where in the bible does it state that a Morman cannot be a god over another planet?

And if they believe in Christ, and believe that they are saved by His blood, that their sins are washed away by His sacrifice, doesn't that make them a Christian? They also teach that everyone should witness. And they feel an obligation to do exactly that. They even baptise.

So looking at all that, how can anyone say that there is nothing Christian about the Mormans?

Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Where in the bible does it state that a Morman cannot be a god over another planet?

And if they believe in Christ, and believe that they are saved by His blood, that their sins are washed away by His sacrifice, doesn't that make them a Christian? They also teach that everyone should witness. And they feel an obligation to do exactly that. They even baptise.

So looking at all that, how can anyone say that there is nothing Christian about the Mormans?
Padgett2: What Christ do they believe in--the Christ of Christianity or the Christ of Mormonism? The Christ of Christianity is God eternal come in the flesh--the unique Son of God, born of the Holy Spirit and of a virgin. The Christ of Mormonism is the spirit brother of Satan. He came about in the same way all men come about--through physical procreation.

The Scriptures are plain:

"I am the First and I am the Last; besides Me there is no God" (Isa. 44:6).

In Mormonism, salvation is not based on the substitutionary work of Christ on the cross alone but on their own works. Again, their faith is in a christ not of the Bible (God in the flesh) but in a christ who is an exalted man. It is not enough to simply name the name of Christ to be a Christian--one must be born again from above through the grace of God. Christ's shed blood has value only because it was the perfect blood of the God-Man. He is more than just an exalted man who gave his life for others--He is the God of all life and being who laid aside His perfect glory with the Father, took the form of a man, and died in the place of sinners. That is not the Christ of Mormonism. And if they do not have the Christ of the Bible they cannot rightfully call themselves Christians.

I do not dispute the rights of Mormons to practice their faith--I do dispute, however, their right to take upon themselves a title that does not fit their doctrines!

Preterist

Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Padgett2: What Christ do they believe in--the Christ of Christianity or the Christ of Mormonism? The Christ of Christianity is God eternal come in the flesh--the unique Son of God, born of the Holy Spirit and of a virgin. The Christ of Mormonism is the spirit brother of Satan. He came about in the same way all men come about--through physical procreation.

The Scriptures are plain:

"I am the First and I am the Last; besides Me there is no God" (Isa. 44:6).

In Mormonism, salvation is not based on the substitutionary work of Christ on the cross alone but on their own works. Again, their faith is in a christ not of the Bible (God in the flesh) but in a christ who is an exalted man. It is not enough to simply name the name of Christ to be a Christian--one must be born again from above through the grace of God. Christ's shed blood has value only because it was the perfect blood of the God-Man. He is more than just an exalted man who gave his life for others--He is the God of all life and being who laid aside His perfect glory with the Father, took the form of a man, and died in the place of sinners. That is not the Christ of Mormonism. And if they do not have the Christ of the Bible they cannot rightfully call themselves Christians.

I do not dispute the rights of Mormons to practice their faith--I do dispute, however, their right to take upon themselves a title that does not fit their doctrines!

Preterist
Are you honestly saying you believe that Mormons worship Satan or his brother? I think your statements are innapropriate and an attempt to stir up hatred against people who happen to be of a different faith then yourself.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:10 PM

610 posts, read 3,320,973 times
Please allow me to toss this chunk of sanity in the gears right off the bat. I lived around them (the Mo's) for a long, long time. Wasn't raised around them. Went to one of their "churches" recently for a few months - ain't one. Ain't gonna be one - but have this to say:
Like almost everybody else, many Mormons aren't quite sure what they believe - except they have been taught to say, chant, repeat, sing certain things from birth - and most will say that they believe "that way". Some are more mature and open ... but still don't know what they believe. Most have never studied Mormonism in the classic sense of the word "study". They've studied their literature and listened to their Bishops. Most think that they are Christians. Like every other religion, there are renegades. They usually have a better idea of what they believe. I will not say that there are no Christians in Mormonism. I will say that Mormonism ain't Christian (pardon my gutteral slang). So, as you're building up the list to run-down as to what Mormons believe ... please bear in mind that many never question it - or care enough to question it. It's a lifestyle lived - not necessarily chosen. That being said, I really hope to enjoy this thread ... and when the bashing comes, turn things over to my wife - who was raised Mormon ... - ish ... and who has spent a lifetime learning to bash it, with gusto, with much scholarly advice.
Peace.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Most definitely! Although they would deny this. In reality, however, the Father God they believe in is the god with which we have to do. He is god over this planet. There are other gods over other planets. A Mormon man can attain to godhood and be himself a god over a planet. "As man is, god once was; as god is man may become." There is nothing Christian about this religion.

Preterist

Preterist, Wow I totally agree with you!!! lol

Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Are you honestly saying you believe that Mormons worship Satan or his brother? I think your statements are innapropriate and an attempt to stir up hatred against people who happen to be of a different faith then yourself.
I am not saying that is what I believe. It is what their church teaches. My statements are not meant to stir up hatred. Since they are claiming to be Christian, the burden of proof is upon them. I do not hate Mormons (my husband is an ex-Mormon)--I am merely protecting the tenets of my own faith. They have broken into our "home" and we have an obligation to question their right to be there.

What is inappropriate is for a group to almost demand that it be accepted by another group when it does not adhere to the very basic and fundatmental beliefs of the group to which it wants to belong!

Could I properly go around claiming to be a Muslim when I do not accept the teachings of and prophetship of Muhammed? What if I wanted to be considered a Muslim but I wanted to have another book beside the Qu'ran which I considered a holy book inspired by Allah? How welcome would I be in the Islamic faith?

Yet only Christians are not allowed to defend their doctrines and the biblical truths upon which one can justly and properly call himself a Christian. We are to accept everyone into our fold who merely says "I am a Christian" regardless of his or her doctrines or beliefs!

For many years Mormonism was considered a cult. As such, it and its members were often ostracized. How much more expedient and financially beneficial is it to change the Mormon image and attempt to attach it to that which has legitimacy and international acceptance and privilege! It is no hardship for Mormonism to push in under the umbrella of Christianity. If fact, it is to their great benefit.

There are perhaps many Mormons who do not know the real teachings of their Church and do seriously consider themselves to be Christians. But believing it to be so does not make it so. Let them be Mormon and let us be Christian. The two are not compatible.

Preterist

Old 12-06-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Preterist, Wow I totally agree with you!!! lol
That's great, ministers. When two people know and love the Lord, there's bound to be more agreement than disagreement! I hope we can find more!

Preterist

Old 12-06-2007, 09:41 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,886 times
Quote:
Of course, it's a cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.