Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:29 AM

718 posts, read 1,388,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Not obsessed with sex, just showing that Mary being a virgin until she died is utter rubbish and goes against the command to be fruitful and multiply.

Why would Joseph even marry her if he knew he would never be able to get sex from his own wife.

Genesis 35:11
New King James Version (NKJV)
11 Also God said to him: “I am God Almighty. Be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall proceed from you, and kings shall come from your body.

The very first command in the Torah and they followed the Torah, so its safe to assume mary was having sex with her husband.

Think people!
This has to be one of the most uneducated post. Virgin does not mean that Mary didn't have sex, in the Catholic Church , virgin means that Mary was born without the original sin . She needed to be born without the original sin in order to carry Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
There is no such thing as the true church, right church or one that's got it all rght.

All that is required is that we worship him in spirit and in truth
Exactly! Religion is religion and in religion anything goes.

BTW, Sola Scriptura is also a religion. Following a book in a vacuum is probably worst because it may lead to a very marrow minded state.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:29 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
This has to be one of the most uneducated post. Virgin does not mean that Mary didn't have sex, in the Catholic Church , virgin means that Mary was born without the original sin . She needed to be born without the original sin in order to carry Jesus.
How can being 'born without sin' make a person a *virgin?

*virgin, parth̩nos Рproperly, a virgin; a woman who has never had sexual relations; a female (virgin), beyond puberty but not yet married; (figuratively) believers when they are pure (chaste), i.e. faithful to Christ their heavenly Bridegroom (2 Cor 11:2; Rev 14:4).

Also, and I wasn't going to resort to this, but it seems it might stop the, 'Yes, she was born sinless, a perpetual virgin,' and the "No, she wasn't," argument.

Again let's apply some common sense here. When Mary gave birth to Christ her hymen had to have been broken during the birth, so irregardless as to whether she was born sinless or there were other children, she would have now no longer been a virgin.

Another thing I don't think ppl are aware of. Normally a woman kept what is called 'the bloodied virgin cloth' as prove she was a virgin when the marriage was consummated. This is in case a man later tries to divorce her on the grounds she deceived him about the above.

Last edited by mshipmate; 05-25-2014 at 08:43 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 08:44 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post

*virgin, parthénos – properly, a virgin; a woman who has never had sexual relations; a female (virgin), beyond puberty but not yet married; (figuratively) believers when they are pure (chaste), i.e. faithful to Christ their heavenly Bridegroom (2 Cor 11:2; Rev 14:4).

Also, and I wasn't going to resort to this, but it seems it might stop the, 'Yes, she was born sinless, a perpetual virgin,' and the "No, she wasn't," argument.

Again let's apply some common sense here. When Mary gave birth to Christ her hymen had to have been broken during the birth, so irregardless as to whether she was born sinless or there were other children, she would have now no longer been a virgin.

Another thing I don't think ppl are aware of. Normally a woman kept what is called 'the bloodied virgin cloth' as prove she was a virgin when the marriage was consummated. This is in case a man later tries to divorce her on the grounds she deceived him about the above.
Are you trying to apply logic to religion? That is ano no in this forum.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 PM

718 posts, read 1,388,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post

*virgin, parthénos – properly, a virgin; a woman who has never had sexual relations; a female (virgin), beyond puberty but not yet married; (figuratively) believers when they are pure (chaste), i.e. faithful to Christ their heavenly Bridegroom (2 Cor 11:2; Rev 14:4).

You are obviously misunderstanding the term " virgin". You can give me all the definitions of the dictionnary , it doesn't apply to the Virgin Mary. This is religion , not biology 101 ."virgin" refers as the purity of her soul , not the purity of her body, Mary needed to be a sinless vessel to bring Jesus to the world. It is obvious that by the birth itself , Mary could not be a virgin anymore in the most common term, even in religion.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:22 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I mean, if you attend The Church Of What's Happening Now and really love it, more power to you. But I guess I don't understand these captious threads that are little more than poorly-disguised attacks on the Catholic church. Heck, I'm not even Catholic and I'm getting tired of them.

Thank you. Rant over.
All them folk are jealous of us Catholics because we have ALL the good stuff! We have the Seven Deadly Sins, the greatest moral treatise of all.

Virtues and Vices

What do you non Catholics have? Yeah, you got nothing!!!!

Oh wait .. buit at least some of you are "saved" ROTFLMAO!!!!

Old 05-31-2014, 08:51 AM

889 posts, read 825,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
OK....if you want to take the position that your church is no better than others...ok. I'll link back here next time I see you make a statement that the RCC is Christ's church.

Now...are you ever going to answer the question about why you don't do what your church explicitly states is good -- worshiping Mary?
Julian is very intelligent, but if he really believed that the Catholic Church is no better than any other, then why does he continue to go there? He's just trying to pacify you with that comment. He DOES believe that the Catholic Church is Christ's Church and therefore, by default, makes it the best church. Billy Joe Jim Bob's Church of the Perpetual Collection just can't compete. Neither can the Lutheran Church, the Anglican Church, the Baptist Church, the Assembly of God, the Church of Christ, etc.

Come home.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:50 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
The crowd had cornered a woman and was preparing to stone her.

Jesus raised his hand and spoke, "Let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone."

From the back of the crowd a small woman picked up a huge rock and staggered toward to poor victim.

Jesus pointed a finger at her and said, "Stop it MOM! I'm trying to make a point here!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity