Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 04:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I used the term because some Sola Scriptura folks (not you) love to denigrate [i]the Mother of God.

I think they try to make her one more woman who would, were she alive today, fit right into the fundamentalist culture. What do they value most in unmarried women? Virginity. Fundamentalist fathers giving away their virgin daughter is the gold standard and an accomplishment. The Duggars make show after show after show about the virginity of their children. They just had a show about the virginity of a friend's daughter. (It's the train wreck you can't not watch. Such concern over everyone's sex life. It's weirdly riveting TV. I'm sure their ratings go up every time Jim Bob (literally) inserts himself between a daughter and her suitor and says, "No kissing!" Whole episodes revolve around Jim Bob going along on the Duggar version of a date.)

What's the second great accomplishment for a fundamentalist woman? Producing children.

Mary can't be special to them. A very important part of being a good fundamentalist is virginity until marriage...... then being fruitful and multiplying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 04:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I think they try to make her one more woman who would, were she alive today, fit right into the fundamentalist culture. What do they value most in unmarried women? Virginity. Fundamentalist fathers giving away their virgin daughter is the gold standard and an accomplishment. The Duggars make show after show after show about the virginity of their children. They just had a show about the virginity of a friend's daughter. (It's the train wreck you can't not watch. Such concern over everyone's sex life. It's weirdly riveting TV. I'm sure their ratings go up every time Jim Bob (literally) inserts himself between a daughter and her suitor and says, "No kissing!" Whole episodes revolve around Jim Bob going along on the Duggar version of a date.)

What's the second great accomplishment for a fundamentalist woman? Producing children.

Mary can't be special to them. A very important part of being a good fundamentalist is virginity until marriage...... then being fruitful and multiplying.
It's the flame that burns within, exciting desire.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:58 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Mary the mother of Jesus was a virgin until after Jesus was born and she and Joseph had sex. That is scripture plain and simple.

To claim that the God ordained institution of marriage and the God ordained and created sex life of the married is wrong is not of God and signs of a cult teaching.
Give it up, He has proven that he doesn't know the first thing about the Bible and he certainly does not know the scriptures. He is just parroting back what he has been told by someone else. I also do not believe he can read Greek because if he could, he would have more understanding of the Bible.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:00 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

OK, so you hate anyone who tries to live by the Bible. We get that, but this rant you posted above is so very sad and you are the one who hates.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
OK, so you hate anyone who tries to live by the Bible. We get that, but this rant you posted above is so very sad and you are the one who hates.
Judged again. Lol. So what else is new?

Old 05-10-2014, 05:18 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times
Quote:
Give it up, He has proven that he doesn't know the first thing about the Bible and he certainly does not know the scriptures. He is just parroting back what he has been told by someone else. I also do not believe he can read Greek because if he could, he would have more understanding of the Bible.
I realize that but this is God's word and it will always find fertile soil. Who knows in the years to come who will read this and this truth will be useful to them.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:19 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Have you tried living by what your heart tells you?

Old 05-10-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
BTW: Here's what you did. You made it personal. You've told me I hate. I made a post about my observations about fundamentalists in general. I didn't name names. But you had to figuratively smack me on the face, tell me I was ranting (not hardly) and call me a hater..

You're very wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. I don't hate anyone who lives by the Bible. Please file that away for future reference. Thanks.

Now then: if you want to call me any more names...... go right ahead. I'm turning the other cheek. Luke 6:29 in case you have your Bible, as I do, next to your computer.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:58 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Have you tried living by what your heart tells you?
Jesus said "For out of the heart come evil thoughts--murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander." Mat. 15:19

Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Which is why a changed heart is required. THEN you can live by it. Of course some people don't change their hearts. they just change the outward appearances and go by a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity