Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Virgin Mary in heaven?
Yes 29 74.36%
No 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 04:55 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times

Advertisements

Or is she six feet under!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 05:43 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Or is she six feet under!
I will let Christ speak for me on this subject:
Joh 6:39 And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should *raise it up again at *the last day.

Joh 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Joh 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
*raise it up means to resurrect back to life

*the last day. means the day of Christ's return

Here's Paul's teaching on the subject that lines up with Christ's words:
1 Thess. 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the *trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall *rise first:
*trump of God: means the last trump, that sounds at the last day, which Christ spoke of above.

*rise means to resurrect back to life.

So, if you believe that Mary died believing in Christ [dead in Christ], as I do, then she's waiting for the last trump to sound and Christ to resurrect her back to life, when He returns to the earth.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
If others are from that time, then she likely is.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
I will let Christ speak for me on this subject:
Joh 6:39 And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should *raise it up again at *the last day.

Joh 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Joh 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
*raise it up means to resurrect back to life

*the last day. means the day of Christ's return

Here's Paul's teaching on the subject that lines up with Christ's words:
1 Thess. 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the *trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall *rise first:
*trump of God: means the last trump, that sounds at the last day, which Christ spoke of above.

*rise means to resurrect back to life.

So, if you believe that Mary died believing in Christ [dead in Christ], as I do, then she's waiting for the last trump to sound and Christ to resurrect her back to life, when He returns to the earth.
So where is Mary now?

Old 05-06-2014, 06:31 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,195 times
NO, Mary is not in heaven. She is dead, but will be resurrected when Jesus comes back, like the Bible says. One does not go to heaven immediately following death. When one dies, they are dead. They won't see heaven until they get resurrected by Jesus when He comes back. It is all in the Bible. Listening to the Catholic Papacy will do you no good.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
NO, Mary is not in heaven. She is dead, but will be resurrected when Jesus comes back, like the Bible says. One does not go to heaven immediately following death. When one dies, they are dead. They won't see heaven until they get resurrected by Jesus when He comes back. It is all in the Bible. Listening to the Catholic Papacy will do you no good.
Quote:
The Nicene Creed says:

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

So are you telling me there is no one in heaven. Everybody is in the ground and dead?

Can you quote the verse where it says everybody is dead? That goes along with a non-religious view. Are you talking off the record?

Show me where in the bible it says there is no one in heaven.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
So where is Mary now?
She's in the grave waiting for the resurrection along with all the other ppl that have died....

Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,195 times
Quote:
So are you telling me there is no one in heaven. Everybody is in the ground and dead?

Can you quote the verse where it says everybody is dead? That goes along with a non-religious view. Are you talking off the record?

John 11

Wycliffe Bible (WYC)

11 And there was a sick man [Forsooth there was some sick man], Lazarus of Bethany, of the castle of Mary and Martha, his sisters.
[SIZE=2]2 [/SIZE]And it was Mary, which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hairs, whose brother Lazarus was sick.
[SIZE=2]3 [/SIZE]Therefore his sisters sent to him, and said [saying], Lord, lo! he whom thou lovest, is sick.
[SIZE=2]4 [/SIZE]And Jesus heard, and said to them, This sickness is not to the death, but for the glory of God, that man's Son be glorified by him [that God's Son be glorified by it].
[SIZE=2]5 [/SIZE]And Jesus loved Martha, and her sister Mary, and Lazarus.
[SIZE=2]6 [/SIZE]Therefore when Jesus heard, that he was sick, then he dwelled in the same place two days.
[SIZE=2]7 [/SIZE]And after these things he said to his disciples, Go we again into Judaea.
[SIZE=2]8 [/SIZE]The disciples say to him, Master [Rabbi, or Master], now the Jews sought to stone thee, and again goest thou thither?
[SIZE=2]9 [/SIZE]Jesus answered, Whether there be not twelve hours of the day? If any man wander in the day, he hurteth not, for he seeth the light of this world. [Jesus answered, Whether there be not twelve hours in the day? Whosoever walketh in the day, he hurteth not, for he seeth the light of this world.]
[SIZE=2]10 [/SIZE]But if he wander in the night, he stumbleth, for light is not in him.
[SIZE=2]11 [/SIZE]He said these things [These things he saith], and after these things he saith to them, Lazarus, our friend, sleepeth, but I go to raise him from sleep.
[SIZE=2]12 [/SIZE]Therefore his disciples said, Lord, if he sleepeth, he shall be safe. [Therefore his disciples said, Lord, if he sleep, he shall be safe.]
[SIZE=2]13 [/SIZE]But Jesus had said of his death; but they guessed, that he said of [the] sleeping of sleep.
[SIZE=2]14 [/SIZE]Then therefore Jesus said to them openly, Lazarus is dead;

Old 05-06-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:

here's a few:
Jhn. 3:12"If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13"No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man. 14"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up;

Proverbs 30:4
Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Whose hands have gathered up the wind? Who has wrapped up the waters in a cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and what is the name of his son? Surely you know!

Acts 2:34
For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said, "'The Lord said to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand
ETA: note 2 things, when a passages says 'the kingdom of heaven' it means "the kingdom of God" and note it says kingdom 'of' heaven, not kingdom IN heaven.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,801 times
The doctrine of the Assumption says that at the end of her life on earth Mary was assumed, body and soul, into heaven, just as Enoch, Elijah, and perhaps others had been before her. It’s also necessary to keep in mind what the Assumption is not. Some people think Catholics believe Mary "ascended" into heaven. That’s not correct. Christ, by his own power, ascended into heaven. Mary was assumed or taken up into heaven by God. She didn’t do it under her own power.
The Church has never formally defined whether she died or not, and the integrity of the doctrine of the Assumption would not be impaired if she did not in fact die, but the almost universal consensus is that she did die. Pope Pius XII, in Munificentissimus Deus (1950), defined that Mary, "after the completion of her earthly life" (note the silence regarding her death), "was assumed body and soul into the glory of heaven."
The possibility of a bodily assumption before the Second Coming is suggested by Matthew 27:52–53: "[T]he tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many." Did all these Old Testament saints die and have to be buried all over again? There is no record of that, but it is recorded by early Church writers that they were assumed into heaven, or at least into that temporary state of rest and happiness often called "paradise," where the righteous people from the Old Testament era waited until Christ’s resurrection (cf. Luke 16:22, 23:43; Heb. 11:1–40; 1 Pet. 4:6), after which they were brought into the eternal bliss of heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity