Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 01:16 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,529,224 times

Advertisements

While preparing this week’s sermon in 1 Corinthians 15 and 16, 1 Corinthians 15:58 jumped out at me. Let’s read it together, Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

For 30 plus years I’ve focused on two words; steadfast and immovable. However, this week the words “abounding” and "vain" stood out like neon signs. Webster defines abound as, to be present in large numbers or in great quantity. Synonyms are burst and overflow. I stopped and asked myself, “Have I been doing the Lord’s work in such great quantity as to be bursting and overflowing?”

One thing that has always struck me about Jesus was he rarely seemed to tire. In three years he accomplished more than we will in a lifetime. He worked through what must have been sheer exhaustion. I’ve often imagined just how much his feet alone must have ached after walking all day over stones and rocks in sandals.

While under house arrest in Rome Paul wrote in Philippians 2:16, Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain. Here as in 1 Corinthians 15:58, we find that word “vain” again, not once, but twice. While vain can mean proud here it means what Webster defines as fruitless, having no real value, worthless. A few verses later in Philippians, Paul talks of a man mentioned only in this one Epistle of the entire Bible. His name was Epaphroditus.

What we know of Epaphroditus is he was from Philippi. He traveled the approximate 800 miles from Philippi to Rome to help out Paul who was under house arrest awaiting trial. He brought with him a gift from the Philippian Christians most likely food, clothing, and money. Paul calls him, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier,...your messenger, and he that ministered to my wants. Once in Rome he threw himself into helping Paul. Paul says in verse 27 that Epaphroditus became...sick nigh unto death. In Philippians 2:30, Paul explains how and why. Because for the work of Christ he (Epaphroditus) was nigh unto death not regarding his life…Epaphroditus had journeyed from Philippi to Rome, taken so ill in his work for the Lord that he nearly died. He'd nearly worked himself to death for the Lord.

Brothers and sisters Epaphroditus' example illustrates what it means to be abounding, bursting, overflowing in the work of the Lord. When we're willing to work selflessly putting ourselves nigh unto death our labors will not be in vain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 01:22 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
I think its about Faith and Obedience too. You cant do his work if you dont have faith to trust him and want to be listening to him. I teach my children Obedience is " listening without asking why".

Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Pastor Al, I have been hoping someone would start a daily worship thread. I am new to the Lord and need ministry. Would you be interested? You could post your sermon and we could discuss and pray. Thank you for posting.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 PM

33,234 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
While preparing this week’s sermon in 1 Corinthians 15 and 16, 1 Corinthians 15:58 jumped out at me. Let’s read it together, Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

For 30 plus years I’ve focused on two words; steadfast and immovable. However, this week the words “abounding” and "vain" stood out like neon signs. Webster defines abound as, to be present in large numbers or in great quantity. Synonyms are burst and overflow. I stopped and asked myself, “Have I been doing the Lord’s work in such great quantity as to be bursting and overflowing?”

One thing that has always struck me about Jesus was he rarely seemed to tire. In three years he accomplished more than we will in a lifetime. He worked through what must have been sheer exhaustion. I’ve often imagined just how much his feet alone must have ached after walking all day over stones and rocks in sandals.

While under house arrest in Rome Paul wrote in Philippians 2:16, Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain. Here as in 1 Corinthians 15:58, we find that word “vain” again, not once, but twice. While vain can mean proud here it means what Webster defines as fruitless, having no real value, worthless. A few verses later in Philippians, Paul talks of a man mentioned only in this one Epistle of the entire Bible. His name was Epaphroditus.

What we know of Epaphroditus is he was from Philippi. He traveled the approximate 800 miles from Philippi to Rome to help out Paul who was under house arrest awaiting trial. He brought with him a gift from the Philippian Christians most likely food, clothing, and money. Paul calls him, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier,...your messenger, and he that ministered to my wants. Once in Rome he threw himself into helping Paul. Paul says in verse 27 that Epaphroditus became...sick nigh unto death. In Philippians 2:30, Paul explains how and why. Because for the work of Christ he (Epaphroditus) was nigh unto death not regarding his life…Epaphroditus had journeyed from Philippi to Rome, taken so ill in his work for the Lord that he nearly died. He'd nearly worked himself to death for the Lord.

Brothers and sisters Epaphroditus' example illustrates what it means to be abounding, bursting, overflowing in the work of the Lord. When we're willing to work selflessly putting ourselves nigh unto death our labors will not be in vain.
Good post Al.

As believers in the Lord Jesus Christ we each have our own ways in accordance with our spiritual gifts and abilities to serve the Lord. But in whatever way God calls us to serve, if we do it as unto the Lord, in the power of the Spirit, then God is glorified.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:42 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,324 times
The One who does the work of God is truthful and there is no unrighteousness in him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity