Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:01 AM

285 posts, read 1,205,740 times

Advertisements

Why does God give us a desire that what we want to do, but yet we dont have the talent to do?

How can you find out what you are sincerely good at. I dont mind working hard but how can I find out what Im good at without trying things that I would be waisting my time

I dont know if I believe "what you desire in your heart is what you are good at" anymore Or is it true or false
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 12:31 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Are you asking about what you're supposed to do for a living / career; or what you're supposed to do for God's kingdom?

Either way, God will not call us to do something that we are not equipped to do.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:41 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Perhaps you should ask yourself why you want to do something that you are not good at; maybe it has to do with something besides the actual performance of that work? Aptitude and preference tests are a good start, when approached with a desire to check what you are interested in. Guidance counsellors should be able to help you with this.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:10 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
Why does God give us a desire that what we want to do, but yet we dont have the talent to do?

How can you find out what you are sincerely good at. I dont mind working hard but how can I find out what Im good at without trying things that I would be waisting my time

I dont know if I believe "what you desire in your heart is what you are good at" anymore Or is it true or false
Could be that He wants you to be dependent on Him for the desires/talents He gives you...

Last edited by DRob4JC; 06-06-2014 at 11:21 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 03:04 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,370 times
Discerning God's will in our lives is the number 1 concern of most Christians who come into my office. It is the area of our spiritual life that causes the most discomfort and the most pleasure.

Two or three nights ago we had a presentation at church by some Prison Fellowship representatives. They had approximately 50 of our people sign a card indicating a desire to learn more and become involved. Of those one of the ladies with Prison Fellowship surmised only 1 will follow through. 1 out of 50. Why? Sometimes we get caught up in the moment. Like after missions week when everyone it seems wants to be a missionary. Is it God's will or our will?

The Bible does not spell out a clear cut program to follow for determining His will. There is no do A, then B, then C will follow. God can not be reduced to a program. What the Bible does spell out is our need, and His desire, for each of us to have an intimate relationship with Him. While developing intimacy with Him will not be exactly the same for each of us, there are some guidelines. God's will in our lives is a process not a program.

The following, often referred to as the 5 Prerequisite C's of Spiritual Guidance necessary before we can begin to know His will. These are conversion, commitment, confession, concern and compliance. I think these are self explanatory so I won't go into what each means.

Following the 5 C's are the 7 Principle C's of Spiritual Guidance, sometimes called the Principles and Road Signs.

Communication-To know God's will we must communicate with Him. The 2 main means of communication with God are Prayer and Scripture. “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly†(Colossians 3:16) “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus†(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). If we're to know His ways and thoughts we need to spend time with Him. This does not mean a five minute prayer and reading a Bible verse off a calendar.

Conscience-Do you a clear conscience regarding a decision to be made? If not it is probably not of God. I remember a church member who worked on the Enron trading floor when they were purposely creating brown outs in California. He later told me, "God was telling me it was wrong, but I refused to listen." Acts 24:16, This is the reason I do my best to always have a clear conscience toward God and toward people.

Common Sense-Look before you leap. Be level-headed in your decisions. If, out of the blue, you decide to be a missionary in outer Mongolia because you saw a documentary on PBS about Mongolia, you are not using common sense.

Circumstances-God's direction often takes into account our personal circumstances like education, finances, family, spiritual gifts, and health. Though I'd love to travel to remote areas and do missions work when I retire my health circumstances prevent it.

Counsel-"Where there is no guidance, the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory." Many Proverbs are filled with this wisdom. Though the decision ultimately rests on you, when faced with a tough decision seeking wise counsel is Godly.

Compulsion-Are you compelled by your own desires or God's? On one end of the spectrum is selfishness, on the other asceticism. If you find yourself pegged at one end or the other of the spectrum you will be unable to discern God's will. “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him†(Colossians 3:17).

Contentment-Once made we should feel a sense of inner peace about our decision. If the preceding C's are used and a decision made that does not bring a sense of peace then the decision is probably the wrong one. Paul had a door open to him in Troas but was unsettled in spirit and went to Macedonia. There are time when a decision seems right, but we are restless about it in the spirit. That is time to wait on the Lord for more guidance.

We're to walk by faith, not by sight. Preachers who say we should, "Do like Gideon and throw out a fleece or two and wait for a sign," to know God's will don't understand the story of Gideon very well and neglect the fact we have two things Gideon did not-God's Word and the Holy Spirit.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:31 PM

@nateswift
For me I wish I had the talent to sing very well not to be a celebrity. There are some people who can really sing out there and their voices are just so angelic that its insane. Let just say I dont have the voice.
Its so upsetting that you do have people who have a true gift but destroy it to the point it ended their lives because of their personal demons and issues for example artists like (Billie Holiday, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Michael Jackson, Dinah Washington, Janis Joplin, Donny Hathaway etc)

However I do wish that I can act because I like how you can play a different person who has a different personality and character and to display it. However I hard time with having a good memory plus there is so much competition out there.
Not to mention im not an experience when I was in high school I tried out to a school play to recite a poem. It was fun but at the same time it was terrifying not to mention i missed up too however i was also doing it so i could conquer my fear of stage fright which I didnt but I did the play.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:33 PM

@DRob4JC

When I thought about it that kind of makes sense! : )

Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
We all have natural talents and abilities that every Christians should submit to the Lord. These gifts and talents are shared by believers and non-believers alike.

Additionally, all Christians are imbued with at least one or more Spiritual Gifts that are empowered by God through His Holy Spirit, to enable us to participate in His work. Spiritual gifts require our availability, but, not our ability, since God actually does the work. These gifts are generally found when we step-out in faith and discover God's power and 'fruit' (often in areas that we didn't necessarily expect or do not excel in).

Spiritual Gifts, fall into three general categories and are outlined in 1 Cor 12, Rom. 12 and Eph. 4. The categories are Service Gifts, Ministry Gifts and Supernatural Gifts. Combined with the Gifts of other believers, they help strengthen and build-up the ‘body of Christ’ on earth. Individually, they teach us to depend on God as our source and strength … and not on the natural things of this world (to ‘walk by faith and not by sight’).

Last edited by jghorton; 06-06-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 04:25 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
See one of the character of God is that if we mess things up and even could destroy the plan of God than God will not scold us , but will pick up the pieces and say ``God Job `... Like the little child who washes the clothes and mixes the colors with the white clothes and destroys the white clothes with the colors clothes , and the parent will come in a see the mess and say ` Good Job`

Old 06-08-2014, 09:58 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,133,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post

Maybe you're feeling pressured to do something that you can't do? Maybe God is not calling you, but you feel forced by a sense of duty?

I don't know how to know if you're good at something without trying it first. But it's VERY possible that you're good at something and you don't know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity