Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:45 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,787,277 times

Advertisements

It is the works of God that make the righteous blameless. When the righteous speak the truth and declare His works the Lord cleanses them because of their faithfullness. Jesus said the son of man is the way the truth and the life. Since we know He said the truth is the word of God then it stands to reason that the way is the word of God and the life is the word of God. Righteous is holy. So if the Lord is righteous in His ways as scripture says and His ways are His words then to be holy is to use His words which are also His works as Jesus said. So to do the works of God is to speak and spread the truth, the word of God. That is why Jesus said to follow Him and continue in His word and that His followers were sent with the words given to Him and as He was sent.

"The Lord is righteous in all His ways and holy in all His works."

"The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works."

"I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except by me."

"The works I do in my Father's name bear witness for me."

"If I do not wash you ,you will have no part of my inheritance."

"If you do not want to put faith in me then put faith in the works so you will see that the Father is in me and I am in the Father."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Psalm 28:5 NRSA
Because they do not regard the works of the Lord, or the work of his hands, he will break them down and build them up no more

Old 06-15-2014, 06:44 PM

The works that the Lord has given me to complete, the very works I do, testify on my behalf that the Lord has sent me.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:57 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,184,699 times
Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.” John 6:28-29

Sure, works follow - but He does the works. You simply can't depend on your works or obedience to earn salvation, for it's by grace you're saved.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.” John 6:28-29

Sure, works follow - but He does the works. You simply can't depend on your works or obedience to earn salvation, for it's by grace you're saved.
What Jesus was saying is that what He was doing is the work of God. He said this is the work of God. In other words, what He was doing, spreading Gods word, is the work of God. That is why He said that those who believe in Him would do the works He did.

"The man who believes in me shall do the works I do and far greater than these."

Old 06-16-2014, 08:06 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,034,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

It is NOT our works that Peacegiver is referring to in those verses. He is referring to the works of Christ which were found to worthy unto life eternal. It is He that does those works THROUGH us. Our works don't save but His do.

Remember this is no judgement criteria based on Belief alone which James showed that even devils believe. But believing in Christ is understood as manifesting in the believe as an emulation of Him and therefore, you would exihibit His works. Judgement is all about works.

It seems strange to me that people don't understand this when the Bible shows that your works can keep you out of Heaven, how they can't see that God places an extreme importance on the works done by us. But He has given His Son the copyright on works of righteousness.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:01 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,034,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
What Jesus was saying is that what He was doing is the work of God. He said this is the work of God. In other words, what He was doing, spreading Gods word, is the work of God. That is why He said that those who believe in Him would do the works He did.

"The man who believes in me shall do the works I do and far greater than these."
I just want to say thank you Peacegiver for preaching His works.

Heb_10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

Old 06-16-2014, 09:32 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,529,803 times
Quote:

You confirmed what Little Elmer and Jesus said, works follow belief. Without belief and the Holy Spirit's indwelling you are not an instrument of God. However, if you are one of the elect and therefore part of the body of Christ you are member of his Church, which is capable as a whole of far greater.

Unfortunately, most C-D'ers who call themselves Christians have little to no works. It is readily apparent who they that dwell in the sewer of contentiousness, debate and destruction of his mission are. Some who find the stench of the sewer a breath of fresh air must be ......

Old 06-16-2014, 10:12 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:

Yes, in the verse previously quoted Jesus refers to his "work" singular.

When speaking of his followers he speaks of works plural.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:13 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post

Unfortunately, most C-D'ers who call themselves Christians have little to no works. It is readily apparent who they that dwell in the sewer of contentiousness, debate and destruction of his mission are. Some who find the stench of the sewer a breath of fresh air must be ......
Really? That's what you think of the posters you don't like? That they are sewer dwellers? Or worse? Wow. Congratulations! The non-believers read this kind of stuff and have a laugh at the Christians judging each other. Jesus isn't served, BTW, but the atheists probably love seeing the Christians slamming each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity