Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:55 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times

Advertisements

Been unemployed since August 15, 2008. Can God help resurrect my career and get me a job? How do I become a child of God and get his favor, by trying to be perfect and Holy? But what if he wants to test me by suffering? I've already suffered nearly 6 years of unemployment. So if you could could you please pray for me too?

Has God helped you in your career and in unemployment? Has he ever helped you get a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 06:40 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
"God helps those who help themselves."

Is there a biblical reference for this or is it a man-made reference?

Anyway, you are doing the right thing by placing your trust in God. But we can never understand what His intention for us is. We may feel that our intention is that he wants us to work because that is what we want and what society considers normal. But maybe God's plan is for you to be homeless and in doing so, you meet other homeless people who have lost their faith and you begin to spread the Gospel to them. It's a hard reality to accept. Sometimes it doesn't seem fair. But there is always a plan.

Do what you have to to find work. Instead of asking God to give you a job, ask Him to reveal His plan for you more clearly. Maybe that will lead you down the correct path.

Good luck and I will be praying for you.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:48 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
At the risk of being deemed heartless, what I would suggest is that you join a church willing to help you get back on your feet. Join with sincerity and humility. And work from there to get your own mind in order, and network among your fellow church members, and you will find things opening up to you.

This was the way of the 1st century Christians. Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, shelter the homeless. Yet those people did not attempt to create a welfare state. They lent a helping hand to those who needed it, but they expected those they helped to become productive members of the community and pay forward what they had received.

Being a Christian is not about sitting back, reading scripture, and praying for goodies, then wondering why you arent getting them.

To me the key is living a Christian life. Everything stems from there.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:32 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times
I've been going to church 6 days a week for nearly 5 years. And yet I didn't get a job. Hopefully God will finally answer my prayers to be a successful Mechanical Designer or Technical Writer, - when I move to Houston. I survive on SSDI now, but I don't want to depend on it. It's only $1171 monthly, and I need more than that.

If I can't get a job in a year in Houston I will live on SSDI in the Philippines.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:56 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I've been going to church 6 days a week for nearly 5 years. And yet I didn't get a job. Hopefully God will finally answer my prayers to be a successful Mechanical Designer or Technical Writer, - when I move to Houston. I survive on SSDI now, but I don't want to depend on it. It's only $1171 monthly, and I need more than that.

If I can't get a job in a year in Houston I will live on SSDI in the Philippines.
Is this a slip of the pen ?
Oh wait ... , today it is a fat finger error ...
What do you do on Sundays ?

What do you spend your 1171 a month on ?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:

Has God helped you in your career and in unemployment? Has he ever helped you get a job?
God has helped me many times. The formula is simple. Pray, then start looking for a job! Any job. I ended up in a career path that I never planned and it has been fine.

Could well be that God has a different career path for you than what you have in mind.

I also notice you are on disability. (SSDI) Are you able to return to your previous career or does your disability hinder that? Or something else?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:52 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Op, there are perhaps millions of homeless people all across this country with absolutely no income at all. No matter how bad you think your situation, there are people out there who will trade with you in a minute to have $1171 a month. It might not be much, but to a man living on the streets with nothing in his pocket, that will be like a million bucks to him. First you have to show God gratitude for what you have and when you encounter a homeless person living on the streets, perhaps buy them a sandwich or a bottle of water. Just pray an earnest prayer and God will work it out for you in due time.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Been unemployed since August 15, 2008. Can God help resurrect my career and get me a job? How do I become a child of God and get his favor, by trying to be perfect and Holy? But what if he wants to test me by suffering? I've already suffered nearly 6 years of unemployment. So if you could could you please pray for me too?

At what point are you going to realize God doesnt get you the job at best he merely supplies you with the tools that you need to go out and find a job.

Where you at? what type of jobs are you looking for? Why have you been unemployed for 6 years.

While you are waiting for God to get you a job why not work on the Plan-B just in case he's busy.
https://www.google.ca/search?safe=ac...msg=NCSR&noj=1

Last edited by jambo101; 06-19-2014 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Changing your screen name from Jesse69 to JTE1969 doesn't make you a new person! Only a personal relationship with Jesus Christ can do that.

It's time for you to stop trying to delude other people and yourself - and to get real with God. "With God, all things are possible."

Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:

Become a pastor. Then you can preach, have employment, and thank your god.

It worked for Benny Hinn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity