Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:42 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I'm confused. I thought the bible was quite clear that the great flood was the direct result of 40 days and 40 nights of RAIN!!!!!!

Are you folks saying the bible is WRONG??????
Yeah but it also says the fountains of the deep were opened, and so apparently water came from below ground.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:55 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Massive 'ocean' discovered towards Earth's core - environment - 12 June 2014 - New Scientist

Jacobsen's team used 2000 seismometers to study the seismic waves generated by more than 500 earthquakes. These waves move throughout Earth's interior, including the core, and can be detected at the surface. "They make the Earth ring like a bell for days afterwards," says Jacobsen.

#inread_26817 { margin:0 auto; } #inread1_26817 { margin-bottom: 15px; }
By measuring the speed of the waves at different depths, the team could figure out which types of rocks the waves were passing through. The water layer revealed itself because the waves slowed down, as it takes them longer to get through soggy rock than dry rock.

Jacobsen worked out in advance what would happen to the waves if water-containing ringwoodite was present. He grew ringwoodite in his lab, and exposed samples of it to massive pressures and temperatures matching those at 700 kilometres down.

Sure enough, they found signs of wet ringwoodite in the transition zone 700 kilometres down, which divides the upper and lower regions of the mantle. At that depth, the pressures and temperatures are just right to squeeze the water out of the ringwoodite. "It's rock with water along the boundaries between the grains, almost as if they're sweating," says Jacobsen.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Massive 'ocean' discovered towards Earth's core - environment - 12 June 2014 - New Scientist

Jacobsen's team used 2000 seismometers to study the seismic waves generated by more than 500 earthquakes. These waves move throughout Earth's interior, including the core, and can be detected at the surface. "They make the Earth ring like a bell for days afterwards," says Jacobsen.

#inread_26817 { margin:0 auto; } #inread1_26817 { margin-bottom: 15px; }
By measuring the speed of the waves at different depths, the team could figure out which types of rocks the waves were passing through. The water layer revealed itself because the waves slowed down, as it takes them longer to get through soggy rock than dry rock.

Jacobsen worked out in advance what would happen to the waves if water-containing ringwoodite was present. He grew ringwoodite in his lab, and exposed samples of it to massive pressures and temperatures matching those at 700 kilometres down.

Sure enough, they found signs of wet ringwoodite in the transition zone 700 kilometres down, which divides the upper and lower regions of the mantle. At that depth, the pressures and temperatures are just right to squeeze the water out of the ringwoodite. "It's rock with water along the boundaries between the grains, almost as if they're sweating," says Jacobsen.
This is similar to a previous discovery, and maybe a part of the same "reservoir", of water under the State of Arizona. So deep it was not, and probably is not, feasible at this time to try to make use of it.

Science and the Bible do not disagree; it is some scientists (and others) who disagree with the Bible.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:09 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
I found this interesting also from the article:

"Secularists faced a tough enough challenge in trying to explain how Earth’s ocean waters came from rock,” he noted. “They imagine hydrated minerals from space rocks collided to form Earth. But the heat from those collisions would have pushed out the water. Now they have to explain this newly discovered deep water, too.”

Old 06-23-2014, 09:57 AM

472 posts, read 385,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Pastor Al!!

You've discovered science and your prepared to endorse it.

Are you extending that to the theory of evolution also, which has a plethora of more evidence than this interesting hypothesis does?

Or are you going to pick and choose which science you like and which you don't.

By the way, the authors of the publication themselves raise many of the doubts I did. Scientists do that.
Why do so many who do not believe in the Bible, assume those who do, know nothing about science?
Many scientist are Christians. Most people who do not believe in the Bible never graduated from high
school…yet you wave the sword of science like you are in the field.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:26 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic View Post
Why do so many who do not believe in the Bible, assume those who do, know nothing about science?
Because so many say so much unscientific nonsense.

Quote:
Many scientist are Christians.
Great, but very few are fundamentalists and young earth creationists, especially in the geological, biological and physics fields. I am not aware of any peer reviewed studies any have published stating otherwise.

Quote:
Most people who do not believe in the Bible never graduated from high
school
Source? And I will keep coming back till you answer on this. If you make a declarative statement, you better be able to back it up.

Quote:
…yet you wave the sword of science like you are in the field.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:09 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
It is H2O, but it is not water (nor ice or steam). It is a mineral form of H20, basically rock. It is not like a giant spring.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic View Post
Most people who do not believe in the Bible never graduated from high
school
Prove that. Not "I read it in News Week ten years ago." (That's not the correct name of the magazine, BTW. It's Newsweek. One word.) You toss out an unusually high number of declarations and seem to expect that people will accept what you say. Not going to happen. Time to start backing up your claims with actual facts.

Go ahead. We'll wait.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:45 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Oh Vey!

I did not read one mention of Noah or 'the fountains of the great deep' in the press release. Another example of Christians trying to force science to say something that it does not say and forcing the Bible to say something it does not say. This reminds me of the one where God spread out the heavens like a tent and the Christian all of sudden sees the expansion of space-time. It's not as if the ancients did not know that water existed under ground and that the 'great deep' was water (H2O) underneath the whole earth, which seperated the waters from above from the waters below. The heavenly expanse is what seperated these waters and the earth then appeared out of the waters below - the great deep happens to be below all of that - see the attachment.

It is not even the same form of water - it is trapped in rock.

I love how they love science when they think it says what they want it too and mock it when it does not.

Furthermore, when are people gonna realize that it does not matter if there was a world wide flood - that in no way confirms that Noah, the Ark, and that God caused it. Catostrophism is and was a real phenomenon that helped shape the earth as we know it.

Who Cares!
Attached Thumbnails
‘Fountains of the Great Deep’ Discovered? Scientists Find Huge Underground Ocean-brettjordan-hebrew-cosmology-6551585-h.jpg  

Old 06-23-2014, 06:45 PM

618 posts, read 541,022 times
Hello all.

My irony-meter is measuring off the scale as I read this thread (over 15 kiloMorissettes).

When did the scientific method gain such popularity on this forum? It seems that when naturalistic observation and deduction yield an earth that is many millions of years old it's just so much hogwash, but when those same geologists discover something that could be creatively construed to possibly coincide with a biblical event if the hypothesis holds up to further testing...then they are suddenly geniuses!

What I find really odd is that this discovery is so important for proving Noah's flood, yet neither Jacobson, nor anyone on his team from Northwestern, nor any of his collaborators at the University of New Mexico ever mention it in any of the articles I read on their work. Does anyone else find that strange? That none of them mention that this water trapped in the earth's crust could have caused a global flood at one point? Don't you think that would be worth a mention? I bet the article is Science doesn't present that as a serious possibility either.

In fact, from what I read, Jacobson is acting as if this trapped water is just part of a naturalistic model for an earth that is millions of years old. And the discovery of this water is so shocking to the geological community -practically all of whom think that the earth is millions of years old - that he points out that they have been expecting to find this water "for decades."

Please people, if you're going to reject scientific inquiry (or geological studies in particular) at least be honest about it. Don't laud this "trapped water" today after denying every geological dating method under the sun last week. In my eyes, it makes you look dishonest.

Thanks.

PS - DewDropInn...you are going to be waiting a long, long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity