Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:52 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,529,517 times

Advertisements

From Pastor John Reaves, no copyright;

Arminianism at it’s worst is found in Hammond, Indiana. A recent letter from one of its missionaries in Mexico reads, “God blessed us in many ways this month. We have a new soul winner in (our) clan,... my five year old son, won his first sixteen souls to the Lord this month. We broke a few other records this month. In personal soul winning: I won ninety-nine people to Christ, (my wife) won seven, (and daughter) won fifty-five, and (daughter) won twenty-five, and (son) won thirty-six. That is a record of 238 people saved with twenty-two baptisms.”

Lord help us. A five year-old supposedly winning 16 souls to the Lord. That is the ultimate of Arminianism, just “say this prayer after me” gang. They go all over the country closing the doors to those who are seeking to truly bring others to Christ. They never mention repentance, even though we are told by our Lord in Luke 24:47, “And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.”

Luke 13:3 says, “I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” I was recently told by a missionary, who went to school in Hammond, that while they were out visiting on their bus route, they pulled into an area and as soon as they got out of the bus kids came running up to them and said we want to get saved. He could not believe his ears. But then they started arguing who was to be saved first. One said, “I want to be saved first, you were saved first last time.” My, oh my, what a mockery of salvation. This my friend is the ultimate of Arminianism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 11:11 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post

Arminianism at it’s worst is found in Hammond, Indiana. A recent letter from one of its missionaries in Mexico reads, “God blessed us in many ways this month. We have a new soul winner in (our) clan,... my five year old son, won his first sixteen souls to the Lord this month. We broke a few other records this month. In personal soul winning: I won ninety-nine people to Christ, (my wife) won seven, (and daughter) won fifty-five, and (daughter) won twenty-five, and (son) won thirty-six. That is a record of 238 people saved with twenty-two baptisms.”

Lord help us. A five year-old supposedly winning 16 souls to the Lord. That is the ultimate of Arminianism, just “say this prayer after me” gang. They go all over the country closing the doors to those who are seeking to truly bring others to Christ. They never mention repentance, even though we are told by our Lord in Luke 24:47, “And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.”

Luke 13:3 says, “I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” I was recently told by a missionary, who went to school in Hammond, that while they were out visiting on their bus route, they pulled into an area and as soon as they got out of the bus kids came running up to them and said we want to get saved. He could not believe his ears. But then they started arguing who was to be saved first. One said, “I want to be saved first, you were saved first last time.” My, oh my, what a mockery of salvation. This my friend is the ultimate of Arminianism.
That is more Calvinism/OSAS than Arminianism.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:23 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post

Paul Washer has a huge thing about this - have you heard of him? He's one of my fave preachers.

We dont know who is saved, nor can we decreee who is saved. only God knows. That family sounds either like they are bragging or they are naive.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:54 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Keeping score is Arminian?

Old 06-25-2014, 03:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I thought the point was they aren't doing it right. The in-fighting and bad-mouthing continues.

WWJD? Heal someone. Feed someone. Not say, "They're keeping score and I don't approve of what's going on in Indiana!"

Old 06-26-2014, 08:13 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
I don't think this is really Arminianism because in Arminianism the believer cannot know that they are truly saved/the elect. So the concept of "winning souls" to Christ doesn't really exist, just the potential to be saved in the event of perseverance in the faith. The believer can never rest in their position of being "saved" through God's Faithfulness by the Spirit He's given us. So the individual cannot know if they are forgiven in Arminianism until they are physically dead.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:37 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yup...

Old 06-26-2014, 11:12 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
How can they know all those 'saves' are true.

I am reminded of a passage from one of the Norse sagas where a baptism is occuring in pagan Norway. The pastor overseeing the baptism is very pleased with the line of people who are there to be saved, each of them immersed in the stream and given a white, linen baptism gown afterward.

The line is so long that eventually the supply of baptism gowns is running low, so the pastor commands that the remaining gowns be ripped into sashes for the newly baptized.

A short time later, a man comes up to the pastor and angrily states that this baptism is hogwash, "I and my family have been baptized several times, and each time we got a nice gown. Now you are giving out shredded cloth?" and he storms off.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:14 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I don't think this is really Arminianism because in Arminianism the believer cannot know that they are truly saved/the elect. So the concept of "winning souls" to Christ doesn't really exist, just the potential to be saved in the event of perseverance in the faith. The believer can never rest in their position of being "saved" through God's Faithfulness by the Spirit He's given us. So the individual cannot know if they are forgiven in Arminianism until they are physically dead.
Actually, in Arminianism, the believer DOES know that he is saved....at that moment; he does NOT know that he will endure in this condition to the end or change his convictions and repudiate his salvation. As opposed to Reformed in which it is impossible to know whether one is one of "the elect," since "falling way" is merely proof that they were never saved to begin with.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,013 times
" you were saved first last time". That made my day. Funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity