Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:59 PM

45 posts, read 45,130 times

Advertisements

I'm new here and am enjoying some banter back and forth with some of you, so I thought I'd ask what everyone's background is.

I grew up in the Open Bible Church (pentacostal and very Arminian lol), then through tons of study, I've landed firmly in the Charasmatic Reformed camp and that is what my church is. Some popular preachers who are also Charasmatic Reformed would be James MacDonald, Matt Chandler and Mark Driscoll.

Jump in and share...I'd love to make new friends on here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 05:51 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorDan01 View Post
I'm new here and am enjoying some banter back and forth with some of you, so I thought I'd ask what everyone's background is.

I grew up in the Open Bible Church (pentacostal and very Arminian lol), then through tons of study, I've landed firmly in the Charasmatic Reformed camp and that is what my church is. Some popular preachers who are also Charasmatic Reformed would be James MacDonald, Matt Chandler and Mark Driscoll.

Well I must admit I have never heard of "Charismatic Reformed" before. Not real sure I have ever heard of the "Open Bible Church" although I have been exposed to a lot of Pentecostals. Most in my area are Assembly of God, Church of God, United Pentecostal or non-denominational. In fact in our area the very term "Non-denominational" means Pentecostal.

My background was varied. My parents visited different churches infrequently until I was about 8 or 9. We began attending a Methodist Protestant church. My parents were saved in that church and had the preacher baptize them in a pond rather than sprinkle them. While our church was not Pentecostal our preacher did preach a revival that my family attended at a Pentecostal church. A few years later we started attending a Southern Baptist church. That was the church I got saved in. I became less active during my teenage years and stopped attending church for a time. Later as an adult I began my journey home. I attended and or joined several different churches along the way. Today I am not obligated to any denomination. I am affiliated with a local congregation that I have been meeting with for several years now. We have moved since starting there and are really trying to find a group of fellow believers to meet with a little closer to home. Our current church is self governed and autonomous.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Well I must admit I have never heard of "Charismatic Reformed" before. Not real sure I have ever heard of the "Open Bible Church" although I have been exposed to a lot of Pentecostals. Most in my area are Assembly of God, Church of God, United Pentecostal or non-denominational. In fact in our area the very term "Non-denominational" means Pentecostal.

My background was varied. My parents visited different churches infrequently until I was about 8 or 9. We began attending a Methodist Protestant church. My parents were saved in that church and had the preacher baptize them in a pond rather than sprinkle them. While our church was not Pentecostal our preacher did preach a revival that my family attended at a Pentecostal church. A few years later we started attending a Southern Baptist church. That was the church I got saved in. I became less active during my teenage years and stopped attending church for a time. Later as an adult I began my journey home. I attended and or joined several different churches along the way. Today I am not obligated to any denomination. I am affiliated with a local congregation that I have been meeting with for several years now. We have moved since starting there and are really trying to find a group of fellow believers to meet with a little closer to home. Our current church is self governed and autonomous.
Where do you live?

Old 03-12-2014, 06:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Mostly Agnostic with an abiding love for the Lutheran tradition.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:16 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Catholic since birth. And that seems to be my cultural heritage for hundreds of years.

But religion is just religion.

God remains a mystery.

I say, believe in God and find a religion you enjoy and use it to enhance your humanity.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Grew up Church of Christ and began my journey to atheism at Pepperdine where I only majored in religion for one year. Somewhere close to 25 years after that I began a spotty return which went through an Episcopal community church and then a burgeoning mega-church in an evangelical tradition. After moving away from that community I did some looking around and finally found my spiritual home as a Quaker.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Grew up Church of Christ and began my journey to atheism at Pepperdine where I only majored in religion for one year. Somewhere close to 25 years after that I began a spotty return which went through an Episcopal community church and then a burgeoning mega-church in an evangelical tradition. After moving away from that community I did some looking around and finally found my spiritual home as a Quaker.
Quakers are cool brother; congratulations!

I am glad to discover you successfully graduated form all levels of atheism and finally decided that their point was moot. Most atheists are stuck in level I atheism and act very much like fundamentalists.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Mostly Agnostic with an abiding love for the Lutheran tradition.
Quite normal!

Nothing wrong with that!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorDan01 View Post

You call yourself Pastor:

May I ask

Do you have a degree in theology?

Old 03-12-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You call yourself Pastor:

May I ask

Do you have a degree in theology?
Yes... I have a BS in Bible and Theology. I pastor a church in central Iowa but will potentially be moving to SW Louisiana to help plant a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity