Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

The 20% who do, I think, are in this forum.

Quote:
80% of Churchgoers Don't Read Bible Daily, LifeWay Survey Suggests
80% of Churchgoers Don't Read Bible Daily, LifeWay Survey Suggests | Gleanings | ChristianityToday.com

Apparently it's a book they think is full of wisdom, even sacred wisdom, but they choose not to avail themselves of that wisdom, the study shows.

I think the majority open it only on Sunday morning when the pastor says "I want you to open your Bibles and turn to Numbers 31:17 where it says "Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man". Let us pray.

Wonder why that is. Not reading the Bible, I mean--not the business of killing boys and women who are not virgins. I know why that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:20 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
LOL, I wouldn't want to attend a church that reads ONE verse a week during the service!

I see your title is at odds with the link. "Daily" is different from "Regularly". I can't claim I read my bible Daily. Sometimes there is no time for reading in my life. A 10 or 12 hour day with up to four hours RT commuting time often leaves time for little else but eating, basic chores, and getting ready for the next day. I've got stacks of stuff I want to read.

During the year I take a course that requires bible reading as part of the curriculum, so I do read at least once a week, outside of the regular readings at church. (OT, NT, Gospel, Psalm).

Old 07-13-2014, 11:30 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Heck I don't even read the bible daily, no time some days. Of course I do have to read it regularly - especially Sunday when they make me read it aloud in front of a whole group of people... what is up with that?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:31 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, I wouldn't want to attend a church that reads ONE verse a week during the service!

I see your title is at odds with the link. "Daily" is different from "Regularly". I can't claim I read my bible Daily. Sometimes there is no time for reading in my life. A 10 or 12 hour day with up to four hours RT commuting time often leaves time for little else but eating, basic chores, and getting ready for the next day. I've got stacks of stuff I want to read.

During the year I take a course that requires bible reading as part of the curriculum, so I do read at least once a week, outside of the regular readings at church. (OT, NT, Gospel, Psalm).
That's Thrillobytes thing and some others, that is why they don't understand the bible.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:55 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Heck I don't even read the bible daily, no time some days. Of course I do have to read it regularly - especially Sunday when they make me read it aloud in front of a whole group of people... what is up with that?
Hahaha, you need to become an Episcopal priest--you get lay readers to do that for you!

Old 07-13-2014, 12:07 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,788 times
Actually, I would say the 80% figure is a little high. I guess I'm looking at it wrong though since I'm really just basing that upon the number of cars and trucks I see in church parking lots. I did read in a Baptist publication that stated that only 1 to 2 percent of the world's populace were actually saved. This figure included all those attending church services.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Over the years in ministry, I've found a great number of people in churches who are clueless about what the Bible really says or means. Many seem to function almost entirely on what others tell them or they imagine that the Bible says. However, just because people attend church occasionally, doesn't make them a 'Christian' ... any more than standing in a line at a bakery, makes one a jelly roll! Finally, the contrived notion that "80-percent of ‘ALL’ Christians don't read their Bible regularly" is pure conjecture and speculation based on a narrow poll. What does that even mean? Simply reading the Bible, doesn't mean that one is really 'hearing God or understanding what they are reading.' Some 'cults,' for example, diligently study the Bible ... and still don't know what it says.

My observation is that some folks on forums who anonymously claim, "The Bible says this or that" .... or who claim, "God will/won't do this or that," have chosen to remain ignorant about what the Bible really says about God or anything else in the Bible. It appears that many have barely skimmed the Bible, much less, read/studied it regularly .... before categorically deciding, on the basis of one or two isolated verses, to reject the entire Bible, regardless of what it says.

I don’t understand why professing Christians might not regularly read/study the Bible(?) After all, it contains God’s revelation of Himself, God's standard of truth and the story of God’s interaction with and plan for mankind! Without scripture, we have no consistently reliable truth standard or knowledge of these things. Yet, not all Christians regularly study the Bible. For example, when I was regularly preaching and teaching the Bible (30-years), I spent hours every day in it. Yet, over the last few years of retirement, it seems like my Bible reading/study habits have also ‘retired.’ (I still think daily about God and His Word and Truth and usually look-up something in the Bible, but, I'm at a loss to explain my diminished Bible reading habits!)

Last edited by jghorton; 07-13-2014 at 01:01 PM..

Old 07-13-2014, 12:28 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,808 times
Here's a graph from that study. It's the picture thousand words thing.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:34 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,808 times
I often recommend Our Daily Bread http://odb.org/ or something of the like for busy people and families. Again another picture;

Old 07-13-2014, 02:35 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
I often recommend Our Daily BreadOur Daily Bread or something of the like for busy people and families. Again another picture;
That brings up a point. If a person is so busy that he has little or no time to read and study the Bible then his priorities are wrong. If a believer is serious about his spiritual life then he will organize his time and eliminate or cut back on whatever is making him too 'busy' to give time to the Word of God.

The believer must ask himself this.

Is my job or career more important than my spiritual life?

Are my recreational activities more important than my spiritual life?

Is / are my _______________ (fill in the blank) more important than my spiritual life?

The believer who is serious about his spiritual life will organize his activities around his time spent in studying the Word of God. Or put another way, Bible study will have top priority in his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity