Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 11:45 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,189 times

Advertisements

Recently Pope Francis has met with televangelists Joel Osteen, Kenneth Copeland, James Robison, Mormon U.S. Senator Mike Lee, pastor Tim Timmons, and evangelical college president Gayle Beebe. James Robison said they found common ground in caring for the poor.

Recently I was in a small community Heppner, Oregon for a cardiologist appointment. Afterwards, my wife and I walked the town, it's that small. As we walked down Church Street, several churches of different denomination sat on four blocks. I noticed all the churches looked very similar. In the town's museum I read that in 1903 a flood wiped out all but one church which was up higher. Over the next year all the various congregants pitched in and rebuilt each church.

Back to the recent meetings between Pope Francis. Someone wrote on James Robison's website, "Very disappointed in you James and Betty. Never forget the Inquisition — Never forget!"

Should we be like those small town Christians in 1903 and work together or like the poster on James Robison's website?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:06 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
The small town churches seem to have realized that the overall community was more important than the difference in beliefs about God. The work of the kingdom is moe important than that OR history of abuses.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
I can understand the writer of that letter to James Robison, and I dislike too much of what is called ecumenism, when you combine heresy with Christianity. and I do remember the Inquisition and how the protestants were martyrd and tortured, etc...

But in a situation where it is not religious work and they are all coming together to rebuild a community, then I see no harm.

But if I were asked to go to an interfaith church service, I would have to refuse if it were the above ministers presiding. AND especially I would not go to one that includes a Muslim or Buddhist and their prayers. I would walk out if and when I saw such a person go to the podium.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Why don't they educate each other instead. I'd love to see them argue their individual differences with each other, since they put so much stock in them.

What would they work together for? How would they "help the poor together" that they can't do separately... It would confuse the poor and then the poor wouldn't choose a denomination, they would just settle for some nebulous mantra about how "believing in Jesus" is all they need, regardless of what they think "believing in Jesus" is supposed to mean.

Good idea Chicago, I think I'll start walking out of prayers/hope speeches that include Christians (especially the hateful intolerant ones). Oh, wait, I'm not... because I actually have a measure of civility, virtue, and self-control. Then again, it might not be a bad idea to demonstrate my discontent... whinny babies always get looked after better then silent ones.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Why don't they educate each other instead. I'd love to see them argue their individual differences with each other, since they put so much stock in them.

What would they work together for? How would they "help the poor together" that they can't do separately... It would confuse the poor and then the poor wouldn't choose a denomination, they would just settle for some nebulous mantra about how "believing in Jesus" is all they need, regardless of what they think "believing in Jesus" is supposed to mean.

Good idea Chicago, I think I'll start walking out of prayers/hope speeches that include Christians (especially the hateful intolerant ones). Oh, wait, I'm not... because I actually have a measure of civility, virtue, and self-control. Then again, it might not be a bad idea to demonstrate my discontent... whinny babies always get looked after better then silent ones.
I think - in social matters like a bunch of different religious people building homes for some needy person, no problem. I think when the hurricanes hit, there were different church groups helping which was great!

In matters of religion, I cannot sit and listen to someone tell me about the teachings of Buddha or Islam because they are contrary to what I believe, in way that is not ok with me. so I would walk out.

It does not mean I am intolerant, it means I don't believe in it and would not sit and listen.

And you do have the right to walk out of any church that you too disagree with. It does not mean you are uncivil.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 AM

550 posts, read 516,832 times
NOT working together is why there are all the various denominations of Chrisitanity in the first place.

So to ask if they can work together is a terrible oxymoron. but the answer is "NO" because they will all be dstroyed for teaching and practicing false doctrines and not the doctrine found in the
The Holy Bible.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:53 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,130 times
A house divided will not stand.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:55 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
NOT working together is why there are all the various denominations of Chrisitanity in the first place.

So to ask if they can work together is a terrible oxymoron. but the answer is "NO" because they will all be dstroyed for teaching and practicing false doctrines and not the doctrine found in the
The Holy Bible.
What did Christians do before the NT canon was put together?

Old 07-16-2014, 08:08 AM

550 posts, read 516,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
They hated the truth and had Yeshua tortured to death. "Church" was the last thing on their minds.

None of those so-called followers of Christ stood up for him when it was time to except the Apostles who were also hunted and beheaded or crucified. therefore his fiery anger will burn them alive when he returns.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:38 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
This might surprise you, there was a" Bible" before the NT canon was put together .... it was referred to as scriptures
Normally when one asks the question like you did, then it would certainly be plausible that one doesn't know what constitutes scriptures.

Well once again we're so fortunate that the Bible self defines what they are:
Luke 24:27
And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he [Jesus] explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

Luke 24:44
He [Jesus] said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

then the NT Christians had these available, Peter placing Paul's letters on the same level as scriptures .....
2 Peter 3:16
He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

and being " Scripture cannot be broken" John 10:35 .... means when Paul writes in 1 Timothy 5:18 referencing to Luke 10:7 on the same level as Deut. 25:4, then that makes Lukes' letter scripture.

then Peter completes the circle when he writes:
2 Peter 1:21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Last edited by twin.spin; 07-16-2014 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity